Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lumix GH1 and Red Scarlet  (Read 3727 times)

Pete Ferling

Lumix GH1 and Red Scarlet
« on: July 22, 2009, 10:01:16 am »

I for one am very happy about camera manufacturers getting serious in putting pro level video tools on these still cameras.  I shoot both video and stills, and I welcome the opportunity having to pack and drag only one pelican case or bag with me on multitasking jobs.  Many times I will tape a procedure in the field, then have to switch gears and shoot stills for print.  Speaking of print, I'm seeing less of that as we switch from banners to digital posters for booth display, and online or PDF for our brochures and print materials.  It's all about cost and racing to the finish line.  Very good article Michael.  I can see where the lumix could replace both my 40D and HC1 for family trips.  The red scarlet... my XH-G1 is getting old.

Mort54

• http://
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 02:05:51 pm »

To quote Michael from his GH1 article, in speaking about the RED system -  "If you have any interest whatsoever in the future of either still photography or film making on video this is where the future appears to lie."

Michael, are you saying the future of still photography lies with RED? If so, that's quite a statement. As far as I'm concerned, RED hasn't even shown that it's a competitor in still photography, let alone the future.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into your comment.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

michael

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 02:42:01 pm »

What I'm saying is that integrated stills / motion cameras, like the upcoming Scarlet and Epic, are where the future lies. Not the whole future. Not the only future. But, I would be surprised if integrated motion / stills cameras are not the dominant life form within three years or so.

As for Scarlet and Epic specifically, they are very real, and are likely to be available before the snow flies again in this part of the world. And when they do ship mainstream products from Canon / Nikon et al are going to look so 20th century.  

Michael

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 05:11:42 pm »

Interesting read.

I can see the cross over points, and they seem logical. But I cannot see the two big boys rolling over, and let an almost unknown company do damage to their main business.
The red stuff looks interesting, but does not seem geared to a photographer, it's primary video, and pretty serious at that. Mass market lies with consumer sales, and Canikon seem to have a very tight hold on that.
If it's even possible to build a machine that can fully satisfy both serious video and stills shooters, remains to be seen. And then it's open to debate if the majority of photographers are also very keen on video..they might be for a play about, but are they going to shoot serious stuff with it?
The Panasonic approach seems to have more appeal for both size and consumers.

Nemo

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 05:56:30 pm »

Quote from: michael
What I'm saying is that integrated stills / motion cameras, like the upcoming Scarlet and Epic, are where the future lies. Not the whole future. Not the only future. But, I would be surprised if integrated motion / stills cameras are not the dominant life form within three years or so.

As for Scarlet and Epic specifically, they are very real, and are likely to be available before the snow flies again in this part of the world. And when they do ship mainstream products from Canon / Nikon et al are going to look so 20th century.  

Michael

I agree... I expect video cameras based on interchangeable lenses and large sensors from Canon and Sony... they have no escape...

michael

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 07:26:20 pm »

No one has suggested that Canon and Nikon will roll over, or Panasonic for the matter. But these companies have vested interests and market share in various segments to protect, and RED doesn't. That's why they have the ability (though it's by no means a certainty) to become a spoiler.

Companies are run by people. People have vested interest and turf to protect and thus don't always do the appropriate thing. Just look at Nortel, General Motors and a host of others in recent years. Roman Empire, anyone?

Lots of fun to watch how it unfolds.

Michael

Nemo

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 07:56:04 pm »

« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 07:58:52 pm by Nemo »

Pete Ferling

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 11:43:50 pm »

Quote from: Nemo
Kodak is another good example...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/02/technolo...amp;oref=slogin

http://seekingalpha.com/instablog/388469-j...odak-into-focus

... they were pioneers and...

Evidence that good companies are made of good people, not expensive bricks and fancy stock options.
I still work at the same medical device company where I started out in product development before transferring to advertising.
When we were bought out by a larger company, I was casually asked by one of the incoming managers what was the companies most valued products.
My reply?  "The people."
Pages: [1]   Go Up