Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rose  (Read 2453 times)

Ed Blagden

Rose
« on: July 19, 2009, 06:05:19 am »

Hi

OK, so my 5D can't do double exposure and I don't have software to combine images.  So I tried to improvise - I'm sure this must have been done before but I haven't heard of it - by the following method:

- Set up my 19th century technology tripod
- Stop down to f/22 to get a nice long exposure (4 seconds in this case, at ISO100)
- Wait for the first 2 seconds of the exposure
- Then defocus slowly and not too far (if you go too far it looks a mess)

And this was the result:

[attachment=15512:IMG_3183.jpg]

I don't think the image itself has any merit, but what do you think of the technique?  Seems to me the subject has a nice "glow".

Ed

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Rose
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 12:14:23 pm »

There is a nice 'glow' to the leaves, different from what you'd get from using negative clarity for example.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work on the flower in this image.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Rose
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 02:38:50 pm »

Quote from: Ed B
Hi

OK, so my 5D can't do double exposure and I don't have software to combine images.  So I tried to improvise - I'm sure this must have been done before but I haven't heard of it - by the following method:

- Set up my 19th century technology tripod
- Stop down to f/22 to get a nice long exposure (4 seconds in this case, at ISO100)
- Wait for the first 2 seconds of the exposure
- Then defocus slowly and not too far (if you go too far it looks a mess)

And this was the result:

[attachment=15512:IMG_3183.jpg]

I don't think the image itself has any merit, but what do you think of the technique?  Seems to me the subject has a nice "glow".

Ed
Ed, it doesn't work for me. The flower just looks as if it's lacking in any detail. The leaves below it look OK, but those above have a very unpleasant appearance, particularly the one lying centrally, just above the flower.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? If what you want is double exposure, why not take two shots and combine them in Photoshop?

Jeremy

shutterpup

Rose
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 03:08:35 pm »

Quote from: kikashi
Ed, it doesn't work for me. The flower just looks as if it's lacking in any detail. The leaves below it look OK, but those above have a very unpleasant appearance, particularly the one lying centrally, just above the flower.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? If what you want is double exposure, why not take two shots and combine them in Photoshop?

Jeremy

I believe he said he didn't have any software to use.

button

• http://
Rose
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 04:03:30 pm »

I would like to see this shot retaken when the light is a bit more yellow (dawn/dusk)- currently, it's a bit blue for me.  However, I think this is a pretty cool technique, as the flower remains relatively sharp, and the leaves seem to "zoom out."  

John
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 04:04:32 pm by button »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Rose
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 06:06:40 pm »

Quote from: shutterpup
I believe he said he didn't have any software to use.
You're right, of course. My apologies.

Ed, I'll change my suggestion: get some software, then use it to combine the images! Photoshop elements is very cheap, and GIMP, of course, is free.

Jeremy

Ed Blagden

Rose
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 10:18:05 am »

Thanks all - as they say, nothing ventured nothing gained.  And I don't think the gains were very spectacular in this case.    Oh well, will keep bashing away.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 10:19:44 am by Ed B »

John R

Rose
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 06:15:08 pm »

Yes, that is one way to give a subject a glowing appearance or double exposure look, but you need heavy overcast or deep shade to achieve the long exposures, which in turn will give you a blue cast in the images. When using these techniques, try to stay away from mixing white areas and dark areas, such as light sky areas in between tree leaves and branches, and of course, where the light sky meets the horizon. You will get the white areas bleeding or overlapping into the dark areas. Sometimes this works depending on what kind of look you are trying to achieve. This works good with meadows and if you had a cluster of roses as in your example. It also works good on close-up subjects where the background is simple. See my example below. One thing is good about this technique, you don't have to worry about wasting film, you just keep trying to achieve your vision, if it can be done.

JMR
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 08:56:26 pm by John R »
Pages: [1]   Go Up