Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Banned...  (Read 9314 times)

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Banned...
« on: July 18, 2009, 01:03:36 pm »

Topics that devolve into unacceptable language and puerile name calling will be closed or as in the case of 'Fireworks' they will be deleted.

Members who indulge themselves in like behaviour will be banned from this Forum - as 2 have been today.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 01:04:36 pm by ChrisSand »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Banned...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 12:54:42 am »

Thanks Chris.  At the risk of starting another such thread, it's frustrating to check the new posts on a topic only to find that the thread has devolved away from its original idea...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Rob C

Banned...
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 03:58:19 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Thanks Chris.  At the risk of starting another such thread, it's frustrating to check the new posts on a topic only to find that the thread has devolved away from its original idea...

Mike.

I think there already exist sites for strict disciplinarians...

;-)

Rob C

michael

Banned...
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 09:07:23 am »

This site has a simple rule. Conversations should be conducted in the same manner as if you were sitting around someone's kitchen table. Swearing, and insulting language wouldn't be tolerated there and they aren't here.

People on this forum are expected to act like adults. That shouldn't be too much to ask.

Michael

Jeremy Payne

Banned...
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 09:35:25 am »

I'm sorry if my conduct was offensive to anyone.  I will be mindful going forward and respectful of the rules of the road.

I respect your authority and efforts to create a civil forum and thank you for allowing me to continue to participate.

Lab Magician

• http://
Banned...
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 10:51:09 am »

Quote from: michael
This site has a simple rule. Conversations should be conducted in the same manner as if you were sitting around someone's kitchen table. Swearing, and insulting language wouldn't be tolerated there and they aren't here.

People on this forum are expected to act like adults. That shouldn't be too much to ask.

Michael
Unfortunately I know quite a few people, well-educated to degree and beyond, some teachers and college lecturers, many activists in their chosen field, one who advises official bodies at local and national level, who swear, use insulting language and personal attacks, believing them to be part of a well-thought out and well-argued discussion. (Discussion appearing to mean forcing others to give in and accept that what they say is right.)

I've actually sat round a kitchen table while a married couple used levels of foul language, while discussing a minor IT issue at work, that I've not heard construction workers, oil-riggers and shipbuilders deem necessary (having worked for a company involved in all three) and in front of their young children.

In some areas, the arts of conversation and discussion haven't so much died, as been bludgeoned to death.

Baz

Rob C

Banned...
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 12:58:56 pm »

Quote from: Lab Magician
Unfortunately I know quite a few people, well-educated to degree and beyond, some teachers and college lecturers, many activists in their chosen field, one who advises official bodies at local and national level, who swear, use insulting language and personal attacks, believing them to be part of a well-thought out and well-argued discussion. (Discussion appearing to mean forcing others to give in and accept that what they say is right.)

I've actually sat round a kitchen table while a married couple used levels of foul language, while discussing a minor IT issue at work, that I've not heard construction workers, oil-riggers and shipbuilders deem necessary (having worked for a company involved in all three) and in front of their young children.

In some areas, the arts of conversation and discussion haven't so much died, as been bludgeoned to death.

Baz

Blame the parents.

Rob C

Lab Magician

Banned...
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 01:49:35 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
Blame the parents.

Rob C
Having worked in colleges and known quite a few teachers and lecturers in my time, I blame them. There's an old saying; 'Those who can do and those who can't teach'. Well in my experience all too often it could be; 'Those who can fit in with society in general and take a realistic and wide view of things do and those who can't teach'.

However, go back beyond their teachers and the parents back in the 60's were to blame. I was taught in the 50's & 60's by teachers who, if not fought in WWII, had been through it and they fostered open minds. Like sport, it wasn't the winning or losing of a discussion that was important, but the taking part - the learning of something new, the seeing of things from another person's viewpoint. After working in industry for any years, I went back to college to gain a qualification and was appalled at both the poor standard of the young students, but also the rigid dogmatic stance of many (but not all) of the lecturers. After qualifying I started working for two colleges and a charity that provided education for those who have 'slipped through the system'. Discussions with the college lecturers, whether informally in the Staff Room or formally in lecturers, was always a contest - one person or side had to win and the other lose - more like a political debate with a vote at the end of it - I'm right, you're wrong. On the other hand discussions informal and formal with students at the charity were a delight and warming to hear old and young, some of whom could hardly read and write more than their own name, putting forward well thought-out cogent arguments of their own views, allowing others to have theirs and saying at the end of it that they'd learned something, not smugly saying that they'd won or sneering because they hadn't.

When did education and intellectual skills stop being about the gaining and imparting of knowledge and understanding and start being a contest of enforcing opinions on others?

Baz

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Banned...
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 02:24:27 pm »

I agree it is indeed shocking how "the children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they allow disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children now are tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

Typical quote from today lamenting how the youth of today are a bunch of ingrates? But this is attributed to... wait for it... Socrates. That's well over two thousand years ago, yet the message remains the same.

Lab Magician

Banned...
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 03:50:04 pm »

Quote from: feppe
Typical quote from today lamenting how the youth of today are a bunch of ingrates? But this is attributed to... wait for it... Socrates. That's well over two thousand years ago, yet the message remains the same.
My lament is neither about just the youth of today nor is it about anyone being ungrateful, but about the shift from graciously allowing others to have contrary viewpoints and the taking part is the important thing, to aggressively beating others into submission and perceiving oneself to have 'won' as the only acceptable outcome.

Socrates is also attributed with saying; "Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have laboured hard for" - a veritable motto for boards such as this - I don't think he added; "Go on, admit that I'm right you fathead".

Baz

John R

Banned...
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 05:38:59 pm »

I for one am glad somebody put to a stop to all this fighting. And so much sniping. It festered like a bad wound because there is so much bad blood on this critique forum. I was considering leaving and we shall see how it goes.

JMR

popnfresh

Banned...
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 06:36:38 pm »

Internet forums frequently degenerate into flamewars, although perhaps not as much as they used to 10 years ago. People who would normally be well-mannered in a face-to-face encounter often feel compelled to resort to insults and tirades to get their point across. I think the reason is the combination of the internet's relatively risk-free anonymity along with the inevitable frustration of trying to create a social hierarchy within a group using only text. All primates naturally seek to establish a pecking order within their group and rely on a sophisticated mixture of verbal communication and body language to sort it all out. Text-only interaction among people in groups is a highly unnatural phenomenon; you're interacting with others, yet isolated from them. It can easily lead to rapidly escalating tensions between group members. That's my two cents.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 06:46:03 pm by popnfresh »

button

Banned...
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 07:47:03 pm »

Quote from: popnfresh
Internet forums frequently degenerate into flamewars, although perhaps not as much as they used to 10 years ago. People who would normally be well-mannered in a face-to-face encounter often feel compelled to resort to insults and tirades to get their point across. I think the reason is the combination of the internet's relatively risk-free anonymity along with the inevitable frustration of trying to create a social hierarchy within a group using only text. All primates naturally seek to establish a pecking order within their group and rely on a sophisticated mixture of verbal communication and body language to sort it all out. Text-only interaction among people in groups is a highly unnatural phenomenon; you're interacting with others, yet isolated from them. It can easily lead to rapidly escalating tensions between group members. That's my two cents.

Enlightening observation-  well stated.  Perhaps the pen isn't mightier than the sword?

John

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
Banned...
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 10:17:01 pm »

I guess this all happened while I was on vacation. So I notice dalethorn isn't around anymore, who was the other person who got banned?
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

cmi

Banned...
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 10:11:24 am »

I curious too who the two persons are.

MR.FEESH

Banned...
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 10:23:29 am »

Quote from: Christian Miersch
I curious too who the two persons are.

Quote from: JeffKohn
I guess this all happened while I was on vacation. So I notice dalethorn isn't around anymore, who was the other person who got banned?

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
I'm sorry if my conduct was offensive to anyone.  I will be mindful going forward and respectful of the rules of the road.

I respect your authority and efforts to create a civil forum and thank you for allowing me to continue to participate.

Read!

Edit: ....d'oh!  
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 12:00:15 pm by MR.FEESH »
Sigma SD14 w/ PG-21
Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX Macro
Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG EX Macro

cmi

Banned...
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 10:33:49 am »

Read that but thought it was outside of what Chris stated. Ok, so it was Dale and Jeremy.

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
Banned...
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 10:47:05 am »

Quote from: MR.FEESH
Read!
I can read just fine, and can even handle some basic date math. Chris' comment that 2 members were banned on the 18th seemed to indicate that Jeremy was not one of the banned members, since he posted on the 19th.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Jeremy Payne

Banned...
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 11:37:20 am »

Quote from: JeffKohn
I can read just fine, and can even handle some basic date math. Chris' comment that 2 members were banned on the 18th seemed to indicate that Jeremy was not one of the banned members, since he posted on the 19th.
Yup.  Still here.

MR.FEESH

Banned...
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 11:57:09 am »

*walks away slowly*

My apologies.
Sigma SD14 w/ PG-21
Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX Macro
Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG EX Macro
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up