Well
« on: July 16, 2009, 03:18:35 pm »

Comments?

[attachment=15476:well.jpg]

Jeremy

dalethorn

Well
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 10:45:54 pm »

Really good balance of tones from the trees on down.  It looks like it might be unused, as though a rope would normally be attached to that pulley.  We used these things in West Virginia in the 50's and early 60's.  It's hard work carrying water back to the house one bucket at a time, when there's no indoor plumbing, especially if you have to walk up that hill with it.  But that well water made really great coffee.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Well
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 01:53:45 am »

The tones are good, but the angle of the trees and the path or roadway behind the well both lead to the same reference point off to the right of the frame.  When I look at this image I go first to the well, then my eye slides off down the right side of the picture.  I bring my attention back to the well, but those converging lines draw me away from it again.  I end up feeling like I have to tilt my head to the left to compensate!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Well
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 12:14:58 pm »

Quote from: dalethorn
Really good balance of tones from the trees on down.  It looks like it might be unused, as though a rope would normally be attached to that pulley.  We used these things in West Virginia in the 50's and early 60's.  It's hard work carrying water back to the house one bucket at a time, when there's no indoor plumbing, especially if you have to walk up that hill with it.  But that well water made really great coffee.
It is unused, and fortunately for the servants when it was in use, the chateau is to the right, down the hill.

Quote from: wolfnowl
The tones are good, but the angle of the trees and the path or roadway behind the well both lead to the same reference point off to the right of the frame.  When I look at this image I go first to the well, then my eye slides off down the right side of the picture.  I bring my attention back to the well, but those converging lines draw me away from it again.  I end up feeling like I have to tilt my head to the left to compensate!
Yes, I was conscious that there was no "stop" at the right-hand end of the shot.

The place itself is gorgeous (Chateau Cardou) and in some ways I feel guilty posting a shot which looks bleak! But it was taken at Christmas and it was jolly cold at the time.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up