Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1Ds Versus 10D  (Read 3573 times)

pcg

1Ds Versus 10D
« on: August 13, 2003, 12:37:12 pm »

If your maximum print size is 11x14, I suspect you will see NO difference whatsoever.

Joe Hardesty

1Ds Versus 10D
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2003, 01:22:47 pm »

As someone who moved from the 10D to the 1Ds, I can tell you that you will see a huge difference in image quality, but depending on your cropping and output needs that may be something you can live with.

IMHO, one of the biggest problems in making the move you propose is going from a full-view sensor to a 1.6 crop factor. If, as I am, you have years of 35mm experience, switching gears to rethink every shot in terms of cropping is a big distraction. Everything you have come to rely on as instictive when choosing a lens will completely change. Others may adapt to this quickly--I never did, and ended up selling the 10D.

Also be sure to do a little touchy-feely on a 10D before buying. I found the user interface of the 10D to be radically different from the 1Ds, and think the 1Ds is much more intuitive.

So my only point, and it is just my opinion, is that there is much more to consider than just image quality in determining if you really want to downsize. I can not imagine being happy moving from my 1Ds to a 10D, but your mileage may vary.
Thanks for the memories!

Telecaster

1Ds Versus 10D
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2003, 10:21:26 pm »

IMHO, one of the biggest problems in making the move you propose is going from a full-view sensor to a 1.6 crop factor. If, as I am, you have years of 35mm experience, switching gears to rethink every shot in terms of cropping is a big distraction. Everything you have come to rely on as instictive when choosing a lens will completely change. Others may adapt to this quickly--I never did, and ended up selling the 10D.
Interesting. I've found this very thing (field-of-view change with the 10D) to be a plus creatively. None of my favorite focal lengths behave like they do on 35mm cameras so I've been forced to see differently. (I don't use zooms as a rule so I don't have the option of tweaking the focal length ring.) For me this has been a good thing. But, hey, we're all different.

I passed on the 1Ds due to its size. I don't print that big anyway so the 10D is working out just fine.

-Dave-

robertprice

• http://www.robertpricephotography.com
1Ds Versus 10D
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2003, 10:18:45 pm »

I shoot mostly wildlife and landscapes.  I own both the 1Ds and the 10D, and use both about equally depending upon the situation.  That situation is dictated by focal length, how much cropping I might want to do, by what size print I intend to make,  available light, and the kind of control I need my camera to have to take the shot.

The 1Ds is a superior camera in most respects, but the 10D is no slouch.  I personally don't think I could get along without one of them.  They are both unique, and serve their intended purposes.  If you can afford and justify both, by all means, own both.

doc

drewk

1Ds Versus 10D
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2003, 12:20:11 pm »

I own a 1Ds and am extremely happy with it, but find its size and weight a problem when traveling.  I have been considering replacing it with a 10D.  Anything I do seriously is shot RAW and converted to b&w.  I normally never print larger than 11x14.  

My question is if anyone on the forum might have an opinion if I am really going to see any real difference in image quality between the two cameras.  I would appreciate any response.

JeffJ

• www.jjsviewbox.com
1Ds Versus 10D
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2003, 12:56:02 pm »

I own both cameras.  I just did a comparison of 12x18 and 20x30 prints.  At 12x18 there was a marked advantage to the 1Ds.  I didn't try 11x14, but from what they look like at 12x18 I think there would be a noticeable difference.  Here's the link to my test pics.  1Ds vs. 10D vs. 645
For your purposes just look at the 12x18 images and compare the 10D and 1Ds blocks.  Hope that helps.
Jeff Johnson
www.jjsviewbox.com

Ray

1Ds Versus 10D
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2003, 08:57:58 pm »

The numbers speak for themselves. An 11x14 print upsampled to 240 ppi equals 25.4MB. The 10D has only 18MB.

A 12x18 print at 240 ppi equals 35.6MB - pretty close to the native resolution of the 1Ds.

8.5x13 or 9x12 etc would be the sizes where the 1Ds would exhibit little resolution advantage.

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
1Ds Versus 10D
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2003, 11:40:40 pm »

I have both and I have to say that each has its use.

I first had the 1Ds and then got the 10D. I have been shooting more with the 10D lately to check if the focusing issue was repaired by Canon Mexicana and it looks like that they have done it.

For moments I thought for what do I need the 1Ds? then I say, Yes I need it to get full advantage of my Canon 15mm Fisheye as well as my 16-35mm wide angle zoom.

So with the 10D using a 500mm + 1.4x TC  gives me a 1120mm field of view. Great for my Bird photography. Higher resolution than a 1Ds with 500mm + 2x TC when the need for cropping is there, which in most cases has to be done.
Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for
Pages: [1]   Go Up