Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Scottish Sunset  (Read 2080 times)

stamper

A Scottish Sunset
« on: July 16, 2009, 04:51:59 am »

My first post of an image here. I have posted comments in the past so I thought it was about time I posted an image.

[attachment=15457:sunset.jpg]

Ed Blagden

A Scottish Sunset
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 05:46:16 am »

Nice - Good colours and very tranquil.  I'm a sucker for sunsets - they are always different, and often beautiful.

However since this is a critique site, a few comments.  First, the OOF rocks in the foreground don't really add much to the image, indeed they are a distraction from the great reflections.  You can't really deal with this issue by cropping (you will lose too much of the reflections), the only answer is to recompose by moving forward a few feet.

Second, I wish you had waited a few minutes longer for the sun to go below the horizon.  You would still have got the wonderful illumination on the clouds and the reflections on the water, without the annoying flare.  And maybe you would have been able to pull out some detail on the island.

Third, I would have liked to have seen another version taken with a long (2sec +) exposure to smoothen the water ripples out.  It might not have worked, but then again it might.

But that said it is a pleasant enough picture, albeit with some flaws.

Ed

edit reason: grammar malfunction
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 01:40:12 pm by Ed B »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
A Scottish Sunset
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 01:34:47 pm »

Quote from: Ed B
But that said it is a pleasant enough picture, albeit with some flaws.

I'm with Ed on this one.  I'm also a sucker for sunsets, and I agree with his comments.  You might try cropping the bottom off this image to remove the foreground rocks

Mike.

If your mind is attuned t

Rob C

A Scottish Sunset
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 05:06:08 pm »

Balmaha! I´m sure my spirit haunts the place!

Is that broken pier still in existence at the end of the bit you can drive along at the foot of the hill? Not at the main car park across from the water, but further along the edge? Used to park at the very end and climb up a few yards and there was an open bit where you could do really nice fashion shots. Did stuff up there for House of Fraser, J&P Coates (still exist?), Twomax Knitwear and so forth...

Never saw it looking like your shot; in all the time I lived in Glasgow I can only think of about three times when Loch Lomond and I combined with lovely weather!

Very nice indeed, and I wouldn´t trim a thing; think it needs the weight at the base.

Rob C

EDIT: Okay - if you really really want to play about with it, you could cut off some of the left side and extend the rocks at the bottom towards the right; it would change the dynamic somewhat but open you to mild abuse from the "cropping police" if they find out! ;-)

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 06:01:15 pm by Rob C »

stamper

A Scottish Sunset
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 03:45:54 am »

[quote name='Rob C' date='Jul 16 2009, 10:06 PM' post='298320']
Balmaha! I´m sure my spirit haunts the place!

Is that broken pier still in existence at the end of the bit you can drive along at the foot of the hill? Not at the main car park across from the water, but further along the edge? Used to park at the very end and climb up a few yards and there was an open bit where you could do really nice fashion shots. Did stuff up there for House of Fraser, J&P Coates (still exist?), Twomax Knitwear and so forth...

You mean the bit opposite Inchcailoch? Yes and you can still climb up above it. I took a lot of images in March including the posted one. If you climb up and walk towards Conic hill there is a lovely view of Balmaha and if you turn around you can see the Ben. BTW I live in Dumbarton.

Rob C

A Scottish Sunset
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 10:06:09 am »

Quote from: stamper
You mean the bit opposite Inchcailoch? Yes and you can still climb up above it. I took a lot of images in March including the posted one. If you climb up and walk towards Conic hill there is a lovely view of Balmaha and if you turn around you can see the Ben. BTW I live in Dumbarton.

Living in Dumbarton means you're closer to the loch; I used to have to choose either the Erskine bridge or, in the earlier days, the Erskine Ferry, or worse, drive along Great Western Road and on and on forever! I lived in Glasgow (southern end). Unlike with you, the weather could change before I even reached the Clyde!

Have fun -

Rob C

Pages: [1]   Go Up