Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Bank Charge for tutorial  (Read 16954 times)

KeithR

Bank Charge for tutorial
« on: July 15, 2009, 05:45:06 pm »

After I downloaded the last tutorial I checked my bank statement and the pending amount was $29.95. When it posted it was $30.54 so I called the bank, they sent out forms to fill out, I fill them out, sent them back.
Today I get a response: This transaction is correct as billed. The transaction amount was for $29.95. US Bank has a 2% conversion fee on all foreign transactions originated in U.S. dollars, therefore the total correct amount is $30.54.
I again called and was told that this was standard for all banks. Could I get feedback from those of you that also purchased this and what was posted to your account and if you used a bank card or a plain credit card There should be no difference, but I want to see if other banks are doing this or if it's just US Bank.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Tklimek

Bank Charge for tutorial
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 06:31:25 pm »

I just checked my charge....$29.95 and I'm in Chicago and use a USA bank; Chase/JP Morgan and used thier debit card.

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago

Quote from: KeithR
After I downloaded the last tutorial I checked my bank statement and the pending amount was $29.95. When it posted it was $30.54 so I called the bank, they sent out forms to fill out, I fill them out, sent them back.
Today I get a response: This transaction is correct as billed. The transaction amount was for $29.95. US Bank has a 2% conversion fee on all foreign transactions originated in U.S. dollars, therefore the total correct amount is $30.54.
I again called and was told that this was standard for all banks. Could I get feedback from those of you that also purchased this and what was posted to your account and if you used a bank card or a plain credit card There should be no difference, but I want to see if other banks are doing this or if it's just US Bank.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Bank Charge for tutorial
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 06:46:21 pm »

Seems we have been here before  

on this thread - especially the second page of posts...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 06:46:38 pm by ChrisSand »

KeithR

Bank Charge for tutorial
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 06:53:18 pm »

Quote from: ChrisSand
Seems we have been here before  

on this thread - especially the second page of posts...
And I started that post as well.

Gary Brown

Bank Charge for tutorial
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 07:28:08 pm »

I think you'll find it's becoming more common. A couple of months ago I got a "Notice of Change in Terms..." statement for a Citibank credit card. Among other things:

"We are changing how we calculate the fee for foreign purchases. This fee will be called the Transaction Fee for Foreign Purchases. The description in your Card Agreement of this fee will be as follows:

"Transaction Fee for Foreign Purchases. We add a fee of 3% of the U.S. dollar amount of each purchase made outside the U.S., whether made in U.S. dollars or in a foreign currency. This fee is a FINANCE CHARGE."

(I don't have the original terms handy, but I think they previously charged a fee only for non-U.S.-dollar transactions.)

rosemanbridge

• http://
Bank Charge for tutorial
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 08:21:51 pm »

I'm in Australian & my Visa card stings me for every overseas transaction, it's not just the USA it's greedy banks around the world!

jwhee0615

Bank Charge for tutorial
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 01:09:51 pm »

My bank does it.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Bank Charge for tutorial
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 01:41:29 pm »

BoA does it - I got hit for about a buck for the BS 'International Fee'.  Greed, pure and simple.

Derry

• http://
Bank Charge for tutorial
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 06:42:03 pm »

take a trip to a foreign country and use your charge cards and then see what the fees are when you next bill arrives,, every time I used my AE or Visa I saw a small charge (on my monthly bill) for them paying and handling the conversion,, guess it is no difference if you actually there or not for the purchase,,

Derry

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Bank Charge for tutorial
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 06:45:37 pm »

Quote from: Derry
take a trip to a foreign country and use your charge cards and then see what the fees are when you next bill arrives,, every time I used my AE or Visa I saw a small charge (on my monthly bill) for them paying and handling the conversion,, guess it is no difference if you actually there or not for the purchase.
Except for the case of US customers purchasing L-L products - there is no conversion - since all our pricing is in US dollars

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Bank Charge for tutorial
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 06:53:53 pm »

Yeah, it has zero to do with a conversion.  It's simply the purchase being from out of the US.

Tyler Mallory

• http://www.tylermallory.com
Bank Charge for tutorial
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 05:06:12 pm »

That's the bank charging you for the currency conversion. Just like the airlines, they're looking for any little fee they can add to boost their bottom line.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Bank Charge for tutorial
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 12:51:45 pm »

It's less then a buck. Heck every time I sit in my recliner more then that in change falls out of my pockets into the bowels of the recliner frame.
I agree that its a rip off but we are just stuck living with it.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 01:02:48 pm by Dan Berg »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Bank Charge for tutorial
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 04:19:01 pm »

Quote from: kaelaria
BoA does it - I got hit for about a buck for the BS 'International Fee'.  Greed, pure and simple.

Greed? I think the banks are providing a heck of a service to allow you to easily and instantly purchase goods and services from sellers across the world.

I agree there should be transparency so the free market can more efficiently take into account the currently semi-hidden costs.

In this regard it is probably fair to say it is "less than honest" (they aren't outright lying but they are hiding the fee and changing it in the fine print in documents meant to be so thick and long as do dissuade most users from actually reading them) but calling it greed I think is wrong.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 04:23:07 pm by dougpetersonci »

Gellman

• http://www.jgphoto.com
Bank Charge for tutorial
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 08:23:04 pm »

Dear KeithR,

It seems obvious that the extra charge is originating with your bank, not with LuLa. Last time around it was a difference of $0.79. This time it's $0.59. While I can understand the frustrating nature of the problem, the fact is you seem to be spending an inordinate amount of time cluttering up the forums for a customer service issue between you and your bank that amounts to pennies. I apologize if I sound rude, but I think you would be much happier spending your time worrying about more important things. Or, take a chill pill. And Chris, I'm sure I speak for many here if I suggest that you spend your valuable time editing the new videos instead of tracking down pennies for which you are not responsible. Where is Shewe when we need him?

John

KeithR

Bank Charge for tutorial
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 09:01:21 pm »

Quote from: ncjohnboy
Dear KeithR,
 Where is Shewe when we need him?

John

My guess he has more important things to do than comment on YEAR OLD POSTS. And for the record, at the time I wasn't aware that the bank had imposed extra charges since my earlier purchaces from LuLa never had them. I now know that the bank will do this and am fine with it.

DarkPenguin

Bank Charge for tutorial
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 09:24:06 pm »

Dear KeithR,

It seems obvious that the extra charge is originating with your bank, not with LuLa. Last time around it was a difference of $0.79. This time it's $0.59. While I can understand the frustrating nature of the problem, the fact is you seem to be spending an inordinate amount of time cluttering up the forums for a customer service issue between you and your bank that amounts to pennies. I apologize if I sound rude, but I think you would be much happier spending your time worrying about more important things. Or, take a chill pill. And Chris, I'm sure I speak for many here if I suggest that you spend your valuable time editing the new videos instead of tracking down pennies for which you are not responsible. Where is Shewe when we need him?

John

I don't know.  Where was he last year?

Gellman

• http://www.jgphoto.com
Bank Charge for tutorial
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 03:48:04 am »

YEAR OLD POST you say. Oops. Didn't notice the date. Now, don't I feel foolish.

"I don't know. Where was he last year? "

He was waiting for the Vikings to win a Super Bowl, along with the rest of us. Still waiting here. Where is Fran Tarkenton when we need him?

John
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 03:52:20 am by ncjohnboy »

KeithR

Bank Charge for tutorial
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 05:40:44 pm »

YEAR OLD POST you say. Oops. Didn't notice the date. Now, don't I feel foolish.

"I don't know. Where was he last year? "

He was waiting for the Vikings to win a Super Bowl, along with the rest of us. Still waiting here. Where is Fran Tarkenton when we need him?

John

I don't know if Mr. Schewe is a fan(and since he's in Chicago he my be a Bears fan for all I know), but sir Francis is in Atlanta still wishing he was as good as Favre.
As since I'm about to begin my 35th year covering the Vikings, I can tell you that as good as Tarkington was(yes, I did get to photograph him back when he played), he'd get killed by the players of today.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Bank Charge for tutorial
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 11:58:06 pm »

(and since he's in Chicago he my be a Bears fan for all I know)

Yes, I'm a Bears, Bulls & Blackhawks fan (in that order) not so much a Cubs or White Sox fan though...The Vikings? You guys play on the roller dome, right (at least that's what Ditka called it).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up