Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Retrieving paper list  (Read 4669 times)

Rockarchive.com

Z3100 Retrieving paper list
« on: July 15, 2009, 10:22:38 am »

My printer is working fine but when I need to update a paper profile the printer utility can not retrieve the paper list! Is this something to do with the latest firmware update? I think I am upto date with these.

Any advice???

billbunton

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 06:54:07 am »

I've found mine does this every once in a while.  I need to reboot (power cycle) the printer, then it starts working again.  Not a very elegant solution...  I think it's related to the firmware upgrade, but I'm not sure.

equiason

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 11:00:36 am »

Quote from: billbunton
I've found mine does this every once in a while.  I need to reboot (power cycle) the printer, then it starts working again.  Not a very elegant solution...  I think it's related to the firmware upgrade, but I'm not sure.

Yes.  After my I downloaded the latest firmware upgrade earlier this year, my printer has  been doing this.  I also turn off the printer (using the switch at the back) and turn it on again.  I can then access the paper list.

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 10:05:37 am »

Hi,
I can also report that this has happened to me more than once (Mac, HPZ3100ps 44 GP, latestest drivers and FW), and if I go to the printer and check the display on machine, the device seems hung. I have to restart with the awful choice of pulling the plug. I hate when I have to do this! Lots of trepidation!

So long for now, TOM

Quote from: Rockarchive.com
My printer is working fine but when I need to update a paper profile the printer utility can not retrieve the paper list! Is this something to do with the latest firmware update? I think I am upto date with these.

Any advice???

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 09:56:32 pm »

Hi Bill Bunton,
Well I had this happen again. I changed papers at the machine, went to the computer to check the calibration for the new paper via the HP Printer Utility, but "Could not retrieve Paper List." Just like before I could not turn off the printer with the power button and instead had to pull the plug on it! So then after it restarted went back to the computer to try again. I was able to use it normally.

Anyone know if there is a fix for this? HP? Anyone?

It always does this when I am under pressure. I love technology.

So long for now, TOM

Rockarchive.com

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 07:05:12 am »

Thanks for all your help, just another glitch to add to the list of HP problems with their printer.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 07:37:25 am »

Yes I have it too and I think it is latest firmware related. Never had it before and the Z3200 doesn't show that flaw.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

billbunton

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 08:21:30 am »

Quote from: dandeliondigital
Well I had this happen again. I changed papers at the machine, went to the computer to check the calibration for the new paper via the HP Printer Utility, but "Could not retrieve Paper List." Just like before I could not turn off the printer with the power button and instead had to pull the plug on it! So then after it restarted went back to the computer to try again. I was able to use it normally.

I've never had to pull the plug (for this problem), just use the physical power switch on the back.  But I guess that's why I'm reluctant to go print when I only have one or two images, the hassle of knowing I'll have to reboot the printer just makes it seem like a lot of additional effort.

Between that and still not being able to use the APS from my Mac, I've been looking at going back to Epson when it comes time to replace the Z3100.

tonywong

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 02:30:24 pm »

I've never had to pull the plug (for this problem), just use the physical power switch on the back.  But I guess that's why I'm reluctant to go print when I only have one or two images, the hassle of knowing I'll have to reboot the printer just makes it seem like a lot of additional effort.

Between that and still not being able to use the APS from my Mac, I've been looking at going back to Epson when it comes time to replace the Z3100.

What's wrong with your APS? I've been using v1.4.0 on 10.5.7 with no issues.

billbunton

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 07:29:27 am »

Quote from: tonywong
What's wrong with your APS? I've been using v1.4.0 on 10.5.7 with no issues.

When I first got the printer it worked, with the driver/firmware it wasn't supposed to work with.  Then HP released a new driver that was supposed to make APS work.  Since then it's refused to work.  I've totally uninstalled/reinstalled everything a number of times.  I'm even now on a completely different machine, installed from scratch (no migration assistant used) and it still reports communication errors.

I've got a Windows machine that I've installed APS on, and I boot it up when I need to run APS.  Which is a pain in itself, since installing the HP drivers/software changed the machine from reasonably quick startup to taking ten minutes or so to become usable.  Luckily I no longer need that machine for anything except running APS, so I rarely need to put up with it.

tonywong

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 04:58:35 pm »

When I first got the printer it worked, with the driver/firmware it wasn't supposed to work with.  Then HP released a new driver that was supposed to make APS work.  Since then it's refused to work.  I've totally uninstalled/reinstalled everything a number of times.  I'm even now on a completely different machine, installed from scratch (no migration assistant used) and it still reports communication errors.

I've got a Windows machine that I've installed APS on, and I boot it up when I need to run APS.  Which is a pain in itself, since installing the HP drivers/software changed the machine from reasonably quick startup to taking ten minutes or so to become usable.  Luckily I no longer need that machine for anything except running APS, so I rarely need to put up with it.

Is Bonjour enabled on the printer (in the embedded web server)? Check the setup tab, then the green networking button on the right then other settings.

I found that when I turned off Bonjour in the printer my Mac APS wouldn't communicate properly with the z3100 until I re-enabled it.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 04:59:06 pm by tonywong »

billbunton

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 07:30:27 am »

Is Bonjour enabled on the printer (in the embedded web server)? Check the setup tab, then the green networking button on the right then other settings.

I found that when I turned off Bonjour in the printer my Mac APS wouldn't communicate properly with the z3100 until I re-enabled it.

Bonjour is definitely enabled on the printer itself.  I'm not using the Bonjour driver/connection however, rather the HP/IP connection.  Using Bonjour presented some problem (it's been a while since I last set it up, so I don't remember offhand what the problem was).

tonywong

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 01:56:23 pm »

Bonjour is definitely enabled on the printer itself.  I'm not using the Bonjour driver/connection however, rather the HP/IP connection.  Using Bonjour presented some problem (it's been a while since I last set it up, so I don't remember offhand what the problem was).

I remember doing some mumbo jumbo on the printer as well because it refused to sleep, and I wound up disabling bonjour, removing the printer from the list, adding back over IP printing, then my APS couldn't find it. I wound up reenabling Bonjour from the printer and then the APS could communicate with the printer, but I still am printing via IP and haven't added the bonjour printer on the printer list.

Perhaps turning Bonjour off and then on again in the printer will fix things. Maybe waving a chicken foot in front of it will fix it too, but I wound up going full circle pretty much and somehow my HP will sleep and my APS is functioning too. I suppose I should be more rigorous and document the things I do in case it comes back or when other people have issues like I did.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 03:47:48 pm »

billbunton-
How far do you get with trying to use APS?  Once, when APS stopped working for me, I was able to get it to find and cooperate with my printer by asking it to profile another device, then it was able to see the Z3100 again.  Just another shot in the dark with what is the weak link for HP fine art printers:  software.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

billbunton

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 07:15:24 am »

I remember doing some mumbo jumbo on the printer as well because it refused to sleep, and I wound up disabling bonjour, removing the printer from the list, adding back over IP printing, then my APS couldn't find it. I wound up reenabling Bonjour from the printer and then the APS could communicate with the printer, but I still am printing via IP and haven't added the bonjour printer on the printer list.

Perhaps turning Bonjour off and then on again in the printer will fix things. Maybe waving a chicken foot in front of it will fix it too, but I wound up going full circle pretty much and somehow my HP will sleep and my APS is functioning too. I suppose I should be more rigorous and document the things I do in case it comes back or when other people have issues like I did.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try the next time I power-cycle the printer in order to print :-)

billbunton

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 07:17:55 am »

Quote from: Colorwave
billbunton-
How far do you get with trying to use APS?  Once, when APS stopped working for me, I was able to get it to find and cooperate with my printer by asking it to profile another device, then it was able to see the Z3100 again.  Just another shot in the dark with what is the weak link for HP fine art printers:  software.

I don't remember for sure; as I recall it can retrieve the paper list and do a calibration if necessary, but when it comes time to actually print the profiling target it fails.  But it's been quite a while since I tried.  I know what you mean about their software, though I'd use slightly stronger language than  'weak link'!
Pages: [1]   Go Up