Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1rst post Z3100 ICC import procedure  (Read 4570 times)

Rocco Penny

1rst post Z3100 ICC import procedure
« on: July 15, 2009, 08:54:13 am »

I have a 24" Z3100.  The driver, firmware and software I'm using is current.
I have tried to import profiles using the HP Printer Utility following instructions from the Hahnemuhle website, and following the instructions from the Z3100 manual.
I'm not understanding something correctly...
Once I download the icc profile, and unzip it, that puts two items in a folder. (instructions and the profile?)
I right click the icon of the larger file that seems to be the profile, and then click the install profile option.
Well? so far so good?
OK then I want to find the paper listed in my window on the front of the printer, and my options seem to be to create a profile using the Z3100 profile making function, or to import an icc from a second party website.
I want to import the icc from Hahnemuhle.
So I click import an icc in the printer utility, that brings up the browse bar that prompts the recently downloaded profile folder, I click that, get my system 32 spool color folder and click the recently imorted icc for my photo rag, that enters that icc folder into the browse bar, and I click update.
I always get an error message asking if the folder is the right kind, and then an error message saying the folder hasn't successfully downloaded, and if the problem persists, contact hp.
Well, I'm going with operator error here.
What am I doing wrong, and is there a more in depth treatment of the Z3100 in a book other than the HP manual?
Thank you any of you for advice here,
Rocco Penny

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 10:16:04 am »

Quote from: Rocco Penny
I have a 24" Z3100.  The driver, firmware and software I'm using is current.
I have tried to import profiles using the HP Printer Utility following instructions from the Hahnemuhle website, and following the instructions from the Z3100 manual.
I'm not understanding something correctly...
Once I download the icc profile, and unzip it, that puts two items in a folder. (instructions and the profile?)
I right click the icon of the larger file that seems to be the profile, and then click the install profile option.
Well? so far so good?
OK then I want to find the paper listed in my window on the front of the printer, and my options seem to be to create a profile using the Z3100 profile making function, or to import an icc from a second party website.
I want to import the icc from Hahnemuhle.
So I click import an icc in the printer utility, that brings up the browse bar that prompts the recently downloaded profile folder, I click that, get my system 32 spool color folder and click the recently imorted icc for my photo rag, that enters that icc folder into the browse bar, and I click update.
I always get an error message asking if the folder is the right kind, and then an error message saying the folder hasn't successfully downloaded, and if the problem persists, contact hp.
Well, I'm going with operator error here.
What am I doing wrong, and is there a more in depth treatment of the Z3100 in a book other than the HP manual?
Thank you any of you for advice here,
Rocco Penny

Rocco,

Plain Z3100 with the PCL3 printer driver?

The PCL driver: If you use the application's color management as recommended for color printing then you only need to select the Hahnemühle profile in the application color managment like Photoshop's CM. The printer driver color management should be set to Application Managed Color, switching off the driver's CM that way. Best  to do that in the printing preferences of the driver so it will be the default every time you use the printer. With a freshly installed driver that isn't the case as HP thinks people still print from applications without color management and the driver's cm is needed.

If you want to use the driver's color management instead there will not be a profile shown to select but your choice of the media will link the HP profile as stored on the printer for that media automatically. I would suggest not to chance that but instead to create a custom paper preset in Printer Utility with the Photorag name, Calibrate as asked on Photorag and then link the Hahnemühle ICC profile to that custom media preset, also in printer utility. That way your HP media preset will be untouched. In that process the HM profile is also loaded to the printere's harddisc and available to other systems if there are other systems. Not only in driver'. color management but also on the system itself after the synchronize

Next time if you are not happy with the Hahnemühle profile (not unusual) you can make a custom profile with the Z3100 Spectrometer and it can replace th HM profile on that new paper preset.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

New: Dinkla Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 04:07:34 pm »

Not sure but are you asking if you are correctly uploading the ICC profile to the printer? If so you add the profile to the paper preset  and add the profile in the utility. When you synchronise the host computer will send the profile to the printer hard drive.

The profiles are stored on the printer but if you use Printer manages color, LUTs are used, not the profiles. IF you use Colorsync or ICM in the driver then the profile is used on your host computer not the printer hard drive.

Rocco Penny

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 08:47:09 pm »

Thank you both very much.  I have a plain Z3100, an EFI rip, & CS4 photoshop extended
I have been using the on-board spectrometer to create profiles using the minimum 17 inch paper required.
I bought some 8.5x 11 lumijet master's canvas, on sale cheap, to mess with when things get tedious.  
So to get an ICC in this case, I must go to the manufacturers website, download the ICC, import it into the printers hard drive, or no?  Is it sufficient to choose the ICC using the cs4 option?
I don't need to download the ICC at all into my Printer utility?
So then all I need is for the ICC to exist in my spool color folder along with all the others??
Then all I need to do is calibrate the paper?
I'm a little lost here, but I thought I'd have to have the ICC resident on the hard drive of the printer as well as in my computer.
But, if you say no, it's no.
I do so appreciate you fellows giving me a hand
thanks again!!
Rocco

neil snape

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 02:19:02 am »

Yes the profile you download can be sent to the printer but it doesn't do much there other than be available for other computers to synchronise to. If you place the profile in the right place on your host or client computer this is all you need and associate the profile to that media in the Utility.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 02:37:00 am »

Quote from: neil snape
The profiles are stored on the printer but if you use Printer manages color, LUTs are used, not the profiles. IF you use Colorsync or ICM in the driver then the profile is used on your host computer not the printer hard drive.

LUTs are used with Printer CM. Learned something today. Thanks Neil.

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Rocco Penny

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 09:23:29 am »

Okay,
I have a handle on conflicting settings, and want repeatable results now.
The color on one print will be terrific.
Then I'll make even a minor change, and blow the whole enchilada, waste 5bucks something and the time to get a terrible print.
So, in order to match what's in my brain, to what the print looks like, I need a place to start.
Convert to TIFF? Leave files formatted in NEF? Adobe 1998 is the working profile I use, then in CS4 I use the healing brush on specks, sometimes sharpening, & sometimes when it needs it recovery, fill light and exposure compensation.            
The monitor screen is my only point of reference for how the print will turn out.
The print usually matches the print preview in the HP Printer Utility.
It rarely matches the screen shot in CS4.
I want to be able to match the screen shot in CS4.
Is this where softproofing comes in handy?
I really am stuck a bit here.
I have a CS4 manual, and have been consulting it, bt this is a process for sure.
Any advice or just plain sense is very welcome, and thanks again for any more of your guy's and gal's time!  
Rocco Penny

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 03:31:45 am »

Quote from: Rocco Penny
Okay,
I have a handle on conflicting settings, and want repeatable results now.
The color on one print will be terrific.
Then I'll make even a minor change, and blow the whole enchilada, waste 5bucks something and the time to get a terrible print.
So, in order to match what's in my brain, to what the print looks like, I need a place to start.
Convert to TIFF? Leave files formatted in NEF? Adobe 1998 is the working profile I use, then in CS4 I use the healing brush on specks, sometimes sharpening, & sometimes when it needs it recovery, fill light and exposure compensation.            
The monitor screen is my only point of reference for how the print will turn out.
The print usually matches the print preview in the HP Printer Utility.
It rarely matches the screen shot in CS4.
I want to be able to match the screen shot in CS4.
Is this where softproofing comes in handy?
I really am stuck a bit here.
I have a CS4 manual, and have been consulting it, bt this is a process for sure.
Any advice or just plain sense is very welcome, and thanks again for any more of your guy's and gal's time!  
Rocco Penny

With all respect it sounds a bit chaotic, either this message or your workflow or both.

First of all: do you calibrate the screen manually or with a spectro- or colorimeter ?
There will not be a good match between the Photoshop normal display even on a calibrated monitor. Both the monitor and the print have their specific gamuts and the ICC profile assigned image will adapt to both specific gamuts.
There will be a far better match between the image displayed in Photoshop in Softproof mode on a calibrated monitor and the print displayed in a suitably lightened viewing box.
Are you printing through the EFI Rip or from Photoshop?

Rocco Penny

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 09:47:23 am »

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
With all respect it sounds a bit chaotic, either this message or your workflow or both.

First of all: do you calibrate the screen manually or with a spectro- or colorimeter ?
There will not be a good match between the Photoshop normal display even on a calibrated monitor. Both the monitor and the print have their specific gamuts and the ICC profile assigned image will adapt to both specific gamuts.
There will be a far better match between the image displayed in Photoshop in Softproof mode on a calibrated monitor and the print displayed in a suitably lightened viewing box.
Are you printing through the EFI Rip or from Photoshop?

First, I should say I'm a raw beginner, and everything I know about photography or printmaking has been picked up in bits and pieces on the www. or in 3 books and the printer and camera's manuals.
I'd like to learn more in a way that leads me to a solid skill set I could use pursuing marvelous illustrations.
I simply love chasing images of my local wildlife.  Now I have a way to show my friends and family what I see on my walks.  I hike between 5 and 10 miles and capture usually at least 1 or 2 really pretty cool exposures.
I also brave ticks and deer attacks, bobcats that think my dog may be an easy meal, owls that aim their puke, bees wasps and hornets, and the latest threat to my wonderful pursuit, other people...

Chaotic is an excellent description of my workflow.
I print from photoshop.
I was printing using printer managed color.
Now I'm using photoshop.
I have a calibration tool-   i1display2 with updated software.
I calibrate once a week.
I use the north american pre-press preset in cs4ps. (adobe1998 as working space)
I use perceptual rendering, black point compensation, choose the correct printer/paper in all the different application windows, and then print.
I've seen the difference in my prints under excellent light as opposed to the current lighting in my studio.
That's not really what I'm talking about here.
There is a marked difference between the printer utility preview which is usually very close to the final print,
and the screen shot in photoshop that I send to the printer.
I'm able to manipulate the photoshop file and tweek the colors etc. but I'm not yet able to print out the final rendering according to what I see.
Thank you again, and I am very grateful for the help.
Rocco
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 10:19:56 am by Rocco Penny »

brianrybolt

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 01:32:32 pm »

In case you haven't done this already and it sounds like you haven't, Buy Michael's & Jeff's tutorial:  From Camera to Print.  Money very well worth spending - will answer a number of your questions but not the specific ones about your driver/specific print profile.

Good luck,

Brian

'Perseverance Furthers'

neil snape

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 02:09:11 pm »

Couldn't agree more. That is what the are there for, and there is no better or more economical way than delving into their tutorial to quickly learn the correct and efficient workflow. Reading will be a lot slower process, more costly.

Rocco Penny

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 10:07:49 am »

I'll download that series from my friend's connection in town.
My dial up connection here in the country would take 5 or 8 hours.
So thank you for the tips and I'll watch the training module.
Rocco
Pages: [1]   Go Up