Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe, Apple, and Epson  (Read 4371 times)

CoyoteButtes

Adobe, Apple, and Epson
« on: July 14, 2009, 07:18:43 pm »

When I try to print from Lightroom 2.4 in 64-bit mode with my Epson 2200, I get the lined-through indicator on the "Print Settings," "Color Management," Paper Adjustment," and "Print Option" choices in the Print dropdown. When I change Lightroom 2.4 to run in the 32-bit mode, the lined-through indicator goes away and these choices are available.

Any thoughts on what the problem is? Is there an issue with Lightroom when in 64-bit mode? Is it OS X (I'm running 10.5.7)? Or will Epson 2200 drivers not talk to 64-bit Lightroom? I know, I should get a newer printer. But that's a separate issue.

When I print from Photoshop CS4 the options are available, but PS CS4 for Mac is 32-bit.

Desktop and laptop are Intel processor Macs.

Thanks,

Stan

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Adobe, Apple, and Epson
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 09:12:56 pm »

Not sure about the status of the 2200 driver and leopard.  Have you tried running LR in 32 bit mode and see if that resolves the problem?

CoyoteButtes

Adobe, Apple, and Epson
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 11:30:56 pm »

Thank you, Wayne. Yes, setting Lightroom for 32-bit mode resolves that issue. But now the prints are too dark. Ugh.

Stan

madmanchan

• Web
Adobe, Apple, and Epson
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 12:55:00 am »

Stan, unfortunately this is a limitation of the older 2200 driver. There needs to be a 64-bit version of the driver for you to access these printing functions from LR running in 64-bit mode.
Eric Chan

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Adobe, Apple, and Epson
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 01:35:42 am »

Quote from: CoyoteButtes
When I try to print from Lightroom 2.4 in 64-bit mode with my Epson 2200,

Dooode, you seriously need to move forward in tine...the 2200 will NEVER get a print driver update (they quit supporting drivers when they quit shipping the printers) for anything near Leopard compatibility. Take the printer up to the roof and toss it off to the sidewalk, talk to your insurance agent and then get a 2880 (or hold your breath for a 3880)...

Seriously, do you expect hardware from over 5 years ago to still work today? Hey, I got a bridge in the desert I'll sell ya...,
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 01:39:14 am by Schewe »

Doyle Yoder

Adobe, Apple, and Epson
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 06:53:40 am »

When I try to print from Lightroom 2.4 in 64-bit mode with my Epson 2200, I get the lined-through indicator on the "Print Settings," "Color Management," Paper Adjustment," and "Print Option" choices in the Print dropdown. When I change Lightroom 2.4 to run in the 32-bit mode, the lined-through indicator goes away and these choices are available.

Any thoughts on what the problem is? Is there an issue with Lightroom when in 64-bit mode? Is it OS X (I'm running 10.5.7)? Or will Epson 2200 drivers not talk to 64-bit Lightroom? I know, I should get a newer printer. But that's a separate issue.

When I print from Photoshop CS4 the options are available, but PS CS4 for Mac is 32-bit.

Thanks,

Stan

Just save a printer driver Preset in any 32-bit application and then choose that (preset) when printing from LR running as a 64-bit application. It will print fine.

Doyle

Rob C

Adobe, Apple, and Epson
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 09:42:57 am »

Quote from: Schewe
Hey, I got a bridge in the desert I'll sell ya...,

How much do you want for the bridge?

Rob C

Randy Carone

Adobe, Apple, and Epson
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 11:09:22 am »

If the bridge is 3.0.0.464, I'll take it.
Randy Carone

rcannonp

Adobe, Apple, and Epson
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 02:31:23 pm »

Quote from: Schewe
Seriously, do you expect hardware from over 5 years ago to still work today?

Mine works fine.

According to Epson the drivers are installed with 10.5. I remember having some weirdness when I first installed 10.5. It got fixed somewhere along the line, and I'm not sure how. It's running driver version 3.0.9, and prints just like it always did, directly from my Mac Pro tower or connected to my old G4(also running 10.5) over a network.
Cannon Pearson: not like the camera

rcannonp

Adobe, Apple, and Epson
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 02:48:01 pm »

Quote from: rcannonp
Mine works fine.

According to Epson the drivers are installed with 10.5. I remember having some weirdness when I first installed 10.5. It got fixed somewhere along the line, and I'm not sure how. It's running driver version 3.0.9, and prints just like it always did, directly from my Mac Pro tower or connected to my old G4(also running 10.5) over a network.

Never mind. I was running LR 2.3 in which everything worked fine. I installed 2.4, and things are now properly effed up.
Cannon Pearson: not like the camera

CoyoteButtes

Adobe, Apple, and Epson
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 02:16:56 am »

Thanks to Messers. Schewe and Chan above. You are correct Mr. Schewe, I do need to move forward in time. It's just that I'd like a 4880 with smart black ink capability or a 3800 with roll paper capability and Vivid Magenta. Perhaps a son-of-3800 and a 7900 will be the best way to eventually go. I'll check Epson's booth at PSW.

Stan

Melinda

Adobe, Apple, and Epson
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 04:12:11 pm »

Thanks,

Stan

Melinda

Adobe, Apple, and Epson
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 04:15:00 pm »

Thanks,

Stan

I have been going through the very same issue with my Epson 2200 - now I'm trying to figure out which printer I should get - let me know when you decide.

Melinda

Adobe, Apple, and Epson
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 04:17:55 pm »

I have had the very same issue with my Epson 2200 and my MAC.  Let me know what printer you decide to buy....
I am having a difficult time deciding what I really need

Doyle Yoder

Adobe, Apple, and Epson
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 08:03:00 pm »

Quote from: Melinda
I have had the very same issue with my Epson 2200 and my MAC.  Let me know what printer you decide to buy....
I am having a difficult time deciding what I really need

It would be interesting to know if there are any printer drivers that allow you access to the settings when LR is running as a 64-bit app. Is there a list somewhere?

As of right now I don't know of any. Hopefully someone knows of some.

But LR does seem to print just fine when running in 64-bit with all drivers when selecting a preset. So the problem appears to be only in having the ability to access the printer settings.

Doyle

CoyoteButtes

Adobe, Apple, and Epson
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 08:22:37 pm »

Melinda,

Glad to know I'm not alone with my 2200. I have to agree with Jeff Schewe that I need to get with the times and buy a new one. And I'd have to say that if the 3800 supported roll paper (I love panos), I would probably have bought one by now. I'm really hoping that Epson will have something new to announce by Photoshop World in October. A son-of-3800 or 4880 with some improvements would be nice. I think it's reasonable for a customer to want roll paper support, smart black ink selection, and Vivid Magenta (in a smaller than 7900 printer).

FWIW, Mr. Ian Lyons has a neat printing tutorial on Lightroom 2, Mac OS X, and Epson at http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_print/lr2-print.htm

The tutorial is specific to the 3800, but I've found the approach to be fine on my 2200.

In the meantime we can drive our classic Porsches around - in second gear.

Good luck,

Stan
Pages: [1]   Go Up