Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Look both ways before you cross the street  (Read 6936 times)

Jeremy Payne

Look both ways before you cross the street
« on: July 14, 2009, 07:12:49 pm »

« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 06:05:55 pm by Jeremy Payne »

MR.FEESH

• http://
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 09:04:41 am »

IMO:
I much prefer the latter.  

1) The first doesn't really do it for me, but the reasons are not obvious, which means the picture certainly has good fundamentals.  Firstly I think that were I sitting in that exact position at that time, my eye would detect some detail about the moon, such as craters or what have you.  Those are not evident in your picture, maybe supposedly so-- but I'm just saying I would like it better because my mind wants there to be craters etc visible.  In addition, the moon seems sort of unnaturally white.  Some times it does look pretty crisp, but adding the smallest bit of yellow or orange to your circle would make it look a little more believable.  Lastly, DOF.  Hmm.  Well usually in landscape type shots the camera focuses at infinity, which makes all objects very crisply in focus, whether on the horizon or in the foreground.  I can see by the grass and road in the foreground that the case is not so for this picture.  The problem for me lies with this-- if part of the picture is out of focus, than naturally the subject or area of interest of the picture would be in focus.  So I look at this picture and see the grass is a little soft and immediately start to search for the subject.  This leads me toward the center of the picture where there is a sign, telephone poles and wires, trees, and a very white circle...a little cluttered.  A side note, vignetting only really appears in the bottom left corner.  If you like it, I might suggest making sure it is even...the other corners should show some too.  If you don't, we all miss things from time to time. 8)

2)  This image is outstanding.  I love the lighting, silhouette of the tree branches against the sky, subtle reflection off the road, the mood, compo.  I can imagine the scene and believe I am standing there seeing that.  There is a certain peace about it too-- like a quiet.  Very well done!

Hope this helped,
Elby
Sigma SD14 w/ PG-21
Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX Macro
Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG EX Macro

francois

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 09:41:07 am »

Jeremy,
I must say that I'm not too thrilled by the first photo. Yes, there's the full moon but noting else grabs my curiosity.
The second photo is much more appealing. The sky is interesting and the corners are "closed" by silhouette branches. Poles & lines give a sense of perspective. I like it very much…
Francois

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 05:04:34 pm »

Jeremy, I started to say I'm sorry that I don't agree with either of the critiques above, then I realized I'm not sorry. But I do disagree with both. The first shot has potential as a sort of haunting abstraction. It looks like the book jacket for a horror story. Elby's idea that the man should be in the moon doesn't wash. In this kind of exposure the moon is a specular light source. There's no way you could get detail into it unless you shot something like an eight or nine frame HDR, and if you did that the rest of it would look really weird no matter how you tone-mapped it.  

The second shot is a sort of "so what" sunset. On my (calibrated) monitor at least, the ground area is a blob with no detail. I'm not sure what you had in mind with this one other than to shoot a sunset.

I tried straightening the first shot, but when you do that you lose the curve sign, which is an important part of the horror for the book jacket.

[attachment=15436:37221484...ca6783_o.jpg]

Ahh, well...
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 06:01:08 pm »

Here's the moon from later that same night:

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 06:09:37 pm »

Quote from: RSL
The second shot is a sort of "so what" sunset. On my (calibrated) monitor at least, the ground area is a blob with no detail. I'm not sure what you had in mind with this one other than to shoot a sunset.

I like the first shot a lot ... it has a tension that you picked up on ... the light was spooky and this image grabbed it.

The sunset is literally the other direction from the same spot ... do you like it more now?  I had uploaded the wrong version ... the foreground was supposed to be lifted a bit ...

Here it is (and I replaced it on flickr, so I to replace the link in the original post as well ...):

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 09:40:12 pm »

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
I like the first shot a lot ... it has a tension that you picked up on ... the light was spooky and this image grabbed it.

The sunset is literally the other direction from the same spot ... do you like it more now?  I had uploaded the wrong version ... the foreground was supposed to be lifted a bit ...

Here it is (and I replaced it on flickr, so I to replace the link in the original post as well ...):

Yes. That's a lot better. This one could be on the back of the horror novel jacket. Beautiful moon shot, by the way.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

MR.FEESH

• http://
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 11:55:50 pm »

Well Russ I guess it's all relative.
I much prefer the second moon shot you posted, Jeremy, it's wonderful!
Sigma SD14 w/ PG-21
Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX Macro
Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG EX Macro

cmi

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 08:02:54 am »

I like the first one, these slantwise poles are interesting. The shot has an "odd" feeling to me. I like the general composition, but somehow I feel it could be refined with a reshoot.  The second does not so much for me because the focus shifts away from these poles more so it becomes more of a "common" sunset.

Also a pity the original shot is gone - I just see this thread now, and the discussion now becomes more meaningless for me. Its based on an image I cant see.

Pages: [1]   Go Up