Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom Issues  (Read 4760 times)

mike397x

Lightroom Issues
« on: July 14, 2009, 05:00:39 pm »

After viewing the LL video on Lightrrom a number of times,
i decided to try it.
I installed the 2.4 trial version and all worked well .....for a short while.
I joined the adobe Lightroom forums,and it seems I am not alone with my issues.
I can not go from library mode to the develop mode,or slide show.
After posting on Adobe forums,I was told to delete the >losck file,and if need be the preferences folde,which I did,and all was well for 24 hours.
Now the problem is back:
1.can not go into develop mode
2.Computer freezes
3 after the computer freezes,I try to reboot but have to use the power button to do so.

I would really like to purchase this program ,as i find it has the features that I need....but???
Is lightroom a little premature is this program release?
There are many,many posts in th lightroom forum with the same issues as mine.
Is there any work around,, fix for these issues?.
If not ,I have no alternative but to abandon Lightroom?which I do not want to do

Thanks for any help

GilPhoto

Lightroom Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 06:17:26 pm »

Strangely enough,  this problem has just started happening to me about 3 days ago...   I even re-installed the software and the problem re-apeared...

I had the problem in 2 very distinct instences:

#1,  I tried to IMPORT and it froze...  and to my astonishement,  there were 2 LR's running in my task manager when I force quit it.

#2,  I was working on an external drive which I shut down and when I re-started LR,  it seemed to freeez while trying to access a drive that was unavailable...

RESOLUTION...

On my last "crash"  at about the same time as I was about to again go to task manager to force quite I was called away from my desk for about 10 minutes...  upon my return the software was running fine...    I suspect that in certain instances there is a serious slowdown of the software which I perceived has a freez when it was just a HANG.....

for now it's working but I think there may be a bug with LR2.4

mike397x

Lightroom Issues
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 06:57:30 pm »

Quote from: GilPhoto
Strangely enough,  this problem has just started happening to me about 3 days ago...   I even re-installed the software and the problem re-apeared...

#1,  I tried to IMPORT and it froze...  and to my astonishement,  there were 2 LR's running in my task manager when I force quit it.

#2,  I was working on an external drive which I shut down and when I re-started LR,  it seemed to freeez while trying to access a drive that was unavailable...

RESOLUTION...

On my last "crash"  at about the same time as I was about to again go to task manager to force quite I was called away from my desk for about 10 minutes...  upon my return the software was running fine...    I suspect that in certain instances there is a serious slowdown of the software which I perceived has a freez when it was just a HANG.....

Gil
Thanks for your reply.
Yes,
"
for now it's working but I think there may be a bug with LR2.4"
That's putting it mildly
I've been at this for 3 days,still no definitive solutions
Someone, did reply{in another forum},and suggested I get a Mac??
I'll post back,if I can find an answer.

MikeS

mike397x

Lightroom Issues
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 04:44:09 pm »

Quote from: GilPhoto

RESOLUTION...

Gil
Here's what I found out.
After reading your reply,I checked in my Lightroom folder and I had 2Lightroom catalog folders thee,so,What I expect,it was running 2x on my machine as well.
Not sure how this happened,maybe user error.
I posted this on the Adobe Lightroom forums,and the reply was " he doubted if Lightroom was running 2x"

I deleted one of the catalog folders,rebooted,and as of yesterday, lightroom  is running smoothly.
You might want to check to see if you have the catalog folder listed twice..
Hope this info helps

Mike

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Lightroom Issues
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 03:31:05 am »

Runs like a charm under windows XP for me, never once froze after installing it and I use it daily.
Knock wood, I hope I don't have to retract my statement above soon.
pieter, aka pegelli

Jack Varney

• http://
Lightroom Issues
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 06:04:47 pm »

LR 2.4 has been running great on Vista 64 for the last month or so.

There is one bug. You cannot stop Import from starting up upon inserting a memory card (except by disabling Autoplay in Contro Panel which disables all imports). The usual way to stop it is to go to Preferences and under the Import tab uncheck the Detect Memory Card box. This works fine until the next time you start LR when it rechecks the box! Anyway, it is a known bug at Adobe and I presume it will be fixed.
Jack Varney

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Lightroom Issues
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 06:38:20 pm »

I've been using LR 2.4 daily with Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 from the time the up-grade became available and to date I have had no performance issues with it - using Library (Import, Create Collection, labelling, etc.), Develop and Slide Show (I don't print from Lightroom). If there were generic incompatibilities between LR 2.4 and XP PRo SP2, I should expect to have similar problems. I doubt this stuff is just luck of the draw, so on this premise, it would seem to suggest that the issues are resident in the affected users' operating systems - but specifically how I don't know.

Mark
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

mike397x

Lightroom Issues
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 12:08:50 pm »

Quote from: MarkDS
I've been using LR 2.4 daily with Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 from the time the up-grade became available and to date I have had no performance issues with it - using Library (Import, Create Collection, labelling, etc.), Develop and Slide Show (I don't print from Lightroom). If there were generic incompatibilities between LR 2.4 and XP PRo SP2, I should expect to have similar problems. I doubt this stuff is just luck of the draw, so on this premise, it would seem to suggest that the issues are resident in the affected users' operating systems - but specifically how I don't know.

Mark

Update 7/30/09.

After 3 weeks of trying to get my Lightroom issues repaired,I finally think I've found the cause of the problem.

Two days ago,I tried again to get Lightroom started and I received an error messages from Nvidia,so,
I contacted Nvidia tech support,they were extremely helpful and  suggested that I upgrade my driver,which I did.
The whole process took about 15 minutes.
As of today, I have not received any slow downs/stalls/error messages,or any other problems.
Lightroom is now  running smoothly.

I am posting this update in the event,that someone else is having the same problems as I did.
Also,want to thanks all of you for your help.
This is really a great forum.

Mike397x

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Lightroom Issues
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 12:13:33 pm »

Great - glad you found the fix. Video card drivers are often about the last thing one thinks of, but I too got a problem with Photoshop CS4 solved by a video card driver update some weeks ago.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up