Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flower and Butterfly at nature preserve  (Read 1300 times)

dalethorn

Flower and Butterfly at nature preserve
« on: July 13, 2009, 02:43:31 pm »

Taken in the prairie area of Wolf Creek park in Medina County Ohio.  Panasonic G1, 45-200, ISO 80.

It has some technical flaws, but I liked the overall effect so well I decided to post it here.

Ed Blagden

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 04:32:01 pm »

As you say, technical flaws - the subject is out of focus.  However, a nice composition.  Everything is right there, but I would stop down a bit for some more DOF.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 03:40:18 am »

That's no butterfly... the name eludes me at the moment.  The flower is echinacea or purple coneflower.

It's a good shot, too bad it's OOF.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 06:36:20 am »

Dale

I am surprised that you have submitted this picture.  Firstly I looked at the other recent picture, 'Flower in Wetland', which I really like.  It may not be bitingly sharp, but it is in focus.  It has a lovely feel.  However this one is just not good enough really.  You obviously realise this from your comments alongside the image.  By the way, I am talking about the technical quality such as sharpness and burned out highlights, not artistic merit, which it has.

A complete beginner would of course put up a picture like this and after some feedback would go away and try to improve the next shot.  But you are obviously not a beginner as some of your other pictures testify.  If a photographer can learn one thing from looking at this forum it is to be critical of your own pictures.  This one, despite the fact that when you first saw it on the back of the camera and your heart raced with anticipation, should have been binned the second it hit the monitor in your home.

There is no point really in showing anything that you know is sub-standard to anyone, unless it is because you genuinely want feedback on how you could do it better.  By your own admission you already understand it's shortcomings.

My general critique of your work submitted on these pages is that you are a photographer with a keen eye for things around him, who certainly puts in the legwork to get around and capture lots of pictures on a regular basis.  But I think you need to push on in your quality.  I would say that if you can see a picture is going to be weak, don't shoot it.  If you get home and it is wrong, bin it.  If you take enough pictures of course chance means that some will be outstanding.  But if you want to genuinely be a better photographer, you have to really work on the technique, and be highly critical.  Particularly if you are going to show your work.

Come on Dale, just show us the best, and let us see what you are capable of!

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up