Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Print storage options  (Read 2443 times)

dealy663

Print storage options
« on: July 13, 2009, 12:27:25 am »

Hi Guys

We're just finishing up the construction of a new office/studio add on. I'm having a desk custom made that will be used for computers, printers and a work area. Underneath the desk I'm going to need some storage for prints. Currently my biggest prints are 17x22, but I intend to get a 24" roll printer next year. Up 'till now I've kept everything in storage boxes. But that is kinda sucky when trying to find something that is underneath a stack of prints and paper.

So I'm thinking of those 5 drawer 2" high steel flat file cabinets. Well I just priced them and was kinda shocked. So I was wondering if there are any other options that I haven't thought of yet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Derek
Derek
[url=http://www.grandprixsw.com/Wo

felix5616

Print storage options
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 10:10:27 am »

Quote from: dealy663
Hi Guys

We're just finishing up the construction of a new office/studio add on. I'm having a desk custom made that will be used for computers, printers and a work area. Underneath the desk I'm going to need some storage for prints. Currently my biggest prints are 17x22, but I intend to get a 24" roll printer next year. Up 'till now I've kept everything in storage boxes. But that is kinda sucky when trying to find something that is underneath a stack of prints and paper.

So I'm thinking of those 5 drawer 2" high steel flat file cabinets. Well I just priced them and was kinda shocked. So I was wondering if there are any other options that I haven't thought of yet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Derek
I purchased my flat files used for $200. Then i set them on a platform with wheels for easy mobility. Check craigslist in your area.

Peter Mellis

Print storage options
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 02:17:23 pm »

Flat file drawers are very pricey, unless you can find used ones. You might try looking for people that supply used office furniture. Another option is to build a box/cabinet that has adjustable shelves large enough to hold different size storage boxes like the ones from Light Impressions. Not nearly as convenient as the drawers, but probably cheaper.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Print storage options
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 08:07:37 pm »

I built this in our cabinetry shop. drawers for canvas and paper prints. Paper cutter on the bottom pullout. Room for canvas rolls and plenty of drawer space. The wood is ambrosia maple(Otherwise known as wormy maple)

datro

Print storage options
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 09:47:36 pm »

I've been considering this as an alternative to the expensive metal drawers:
stacking trays

With this setup you could use existing boxes to hold the prints and get to each individual box easily.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Print storage options
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 11:09:10 pm »

Quote from: datro
I've been considering this as an alternative to the expensive metal drawers:
stacking trays

With this setup you could use existing boxes to hold the prints and get to each individual box easily.

those look intriguing, especially since they can hold much larger prints than most of the metal drawer cabinets.

Kinda pricey though, a stack of 6 would set you back about $450

howardm

Print storage options
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 08:18:13 am »

the same mfgr, safcoproducts.com has some other interesting possibilities.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Print storage options
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 09:22:54 am »

Quote from: howardm
the same mfgr, safcoproducts.com has some other interesting possibilities.

Yes, indeed.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up