Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya RZ67 Pro IID coarse focus  (Read 7391 times)

Alex MacPherson

• http://alexmacpherson.com
Mamiya RZ67 Pro IID coarse focus
« on: July 12, 2009, 01:35:02 pm »

I recently bought a Mamiya RZ67 Pro IID. I have never used a camera like this before so I need
to ask someone with experience with it.

The coarse focus seems to be very stiff compared to other cameras I have used before. Is it
supposed to be like that?

The camera is very new ... so I am not sure.

Nevermind. I noticed that I had the focus lock lever on.... oops  
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 01:37:17 pm by Dolce Moda Photography »
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

revaaron

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 06:55:40 pm »

I'm looking to pick up a rz67 original or a pro ii.
I want a 6x7 to supplement my contax 645 when shooting 220 film.

what do you like about the pro ii?

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 02:04:21 am »

Hi,
You can tighten the focus knobs or loosen them, use the knob on the left side of the camera for this.

Why choose the RZ ?
1. Because on film it's a marvelous camera
2. Put a digital sensor on it and the quality of the images is absolulty stunning, very very sharp, great contrast and incredible almost 3D quality.

3. workflow.
It really is a wonderful camera to work with, it makes you work, and it doesn't look like a DSLR the AD could walk arround with

bcooter

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 02:17:01 am »

Quote from: Frank Doorhof
It really is a wonderful camera to work with, it makes you work, and it doesn't look like a DSLR the AD could walk arround with

Frank,

I think that old line went out with the "make an offer on this house today, because next week it will double in price".

In fact you want the AD to carry even a better camera than you, then it's obvious it ain't the camera, though I've only known on AD to carry any serious camera and well, he had issues.

BC

Voltman

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 07:57:19 am »

Quote from: Dolce Moda Photography
I recently bought a Mamiya RZ67 Pro IID. I have never used a camera like this before so I need

The coarse focus seems to be very stiff compared to other cameras I have used before. Is it

I too just discovered the joys of the RZ.  Still waiting on my MFDB for it but I've found it to be a quite impressive piece of machinery in comparison to the DSLRs toted around by those AF girly men. Its heavy metal goodness all around if you ask me...

[attachment=15367:photo.jpg]

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 03:16:34 pm »

I know BC.
The work should do the talking not the gear

But still the RZ is an amazing camera to see and to work with.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 12:51:51 am »

Quote from: Dolce Moda Photography

Should be fairly smooth. The camera is very nice, but some weak parts can give in time, for example, the top 2 buttons you depress to release the focus aid. You might have a Mirror, or the mag popup screen. They both have these buttons that can break.  Also, I still find the M-|-R settings in combo with the shutter buttons white and orange settings with the T or N lens settings, and the different glass of RZ/RZ2 settings a bit much to keep in memory.
Also, the auto winder in the mix of settings to the above...I often have to try various combos to get the thing set at a working combo.  Once I do, It is a joy to work with.  Gets rather heavy on the wrist, but with strap to support, or pod, you are in for a treat.  The 37MM glass is fun and tack sharp. The 140 and 65 , or the short 180...all very nice.

Enjoy!

I hope someone can reply on my issues, and say..."here is a diagram of how you should have the settings when using xyz"  :-)
maybe I'll print it and pin it up for ref.

If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 10:03:44 pm »

Quote from: Phil Indeblanc
Should be fairly smooth. The camera is very nice, but some weak parts can give in time, for example, the top 2 buttons you depress to release the focus aid. You might have a Mirror, or the mag popup screen. They both have these buttons that can break.  Also, I still find the M-|-R settings in combo with the shutter buttons white and orange settings with the T or N lens settings, and the different glass of RZ/RZ2 settings a bit much to keep in memory.
Also, the auto winder in the mix of settings to the above...I often have to try various combos to get the thing set at a working combo.  Once I do, It is a joy to work with.  Gets rather heavy on the wrist, but with strap to support, or pod, you are in for a treat.  The 37MM glass is fun and tack sharp. The 140 and 65 , or the short 180...all very nice.

Enjoy!

I hope someone can reply on my issues, and say..."here is a diagram of how you should have the settings when using xyz"  :-)
maybe I'll print it and pin it up for ref.

Phill,
I do not know if you are serious or just joking around but here it is:

M - multiple exposure on film and/or shooting position in digital
I - standard shooting film
R - rotating the back

White - electronic shutter 8 sec - 1/400
orange - mechanical shutter @ 1/400 only

N - normal
T - time ( open until you close it )

Now if you can explain to me how can you remember anything from Canon or Nikon Menu?
Does it always have to stay on "P"
Andre

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 03:14:38 am »

@Andre,
But ofcourse the P is for professional so always keep it there.......

believe it or not but I really saw that on an instructional DVD someone showed me

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 12:53:37 pm »

Quote from: AndreNapier
Phill,
I do not know if you are serious or just joking around but here it is:

M - multiple exposure on film and/or shooting position in digital
I - standard shooting film
R - rotating the back

White - electronic shutter 8 sec - 1/400
orange - mechanical shutter @ 1/400 only

N - normal
T - time ( open until you close it )

Now if you can explain to me how can you remember anything from Canon or Nikon Menu?
Does it always have to stay on "P"
Andre

I think at some point I had forgotten that for Digital you need to keep it on M.  So referring back the the standard manual, confused me more.  I work with different camera's and mainly with a 4x5, so now that I will engrave in my head the M setting for Digital, I shouldn't have problems.   I have been using it for the past few days, and am loving it all over again.

I was also a bit rusty with using an RB lens, the 65.  In White mode, it didn't fire, on the orange it does.  
So had to fiddle with that.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 01:23:38 pm »

Quote from: John-S
Any lens will fire with a digital back when set to the manual 1/400 orange dot. But if you want other shutter speeds, that won't fly. OK for studio lighting but not balancing or mixed lighting.

I gave up on trying to use a Leaf back on an RZProIID. It worked, it wouldn't work. Leaf America confirmed a firmware bug with the exact combination of ProIID, Mamiya adpater, Leaf Aptus 22 in full electronic mode and also had issues with the plate, Leaf cord from back to lens, all a clusterfuck.

In the end, I sold my Aptus, wasn't shooting it much anymore. Selling off Mamiya gear and keeping a basic ProII film kit. RZ's are great cameras. Great when shooting film and getting the real 6x7 frame.

I am not familiar with the Leaf on RZ, but with Phase, it is very nice.  other than my own fumbles, or lack of practice before actual use, I think the RZ is great!

And to clarify, it is the bezel plastic on mine that cracked and broke, yet the buttons are still in tacked and working.

I need to make a note in my RZ case for the RB limit.  I have the winder, the tilt, the tubes, the L bracket.... I actually used a canon flash that worked Ok with it mounted/bounced.  I need to use it more :-)

As far as Canon, I usually keep it on M, indoors, and Tv or Ap, but often I use P, as I use 35 mainly for street/journalistic shoots...more off the cuff, spur of the moment instances.

Yes, custom functions and combo of the buttons to hold and change take some time.  I have been with the 1Ds for a long time, and a bit more natural with it.  

but now that I have a workstation setup in my living room, when i come home, I grab RZ and shoot the family and have fun looking over the images instantly!  

AlDoori

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 03:48:19 pm »

Quote from: Phil Indeblanc
I am not familiar with the Leaf on RZ, but with Phase, it is very nice.
the aptus 22 with leaf adapter and sync cord works troublefree on my RZ and RZ II. i just switch on M.

Pages: [1]   Go Up