Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grad Tool Bug?  (Read 1457 times)

rkissinger

Grad Tool Bug?
« on: July 12, 2009, 10:15:03 am »

Hi!

I recently upgraded to LR2 and just finished the LR2 Tutorial Video (saw the first one a while back, but didn´t really do much in LR since then and thought I could freshen up my skills a bit).

Now I have been really using the gradient tool on a few images with great results in the past week. But all of a sudden, I noticed a strange problem, that just occured out of the blue.

Whenever I now use the grad tool, LR seems to ignore the starting point comletely. The effect is, that the gradient effect is applied on all parts of the image below/above the ending line.

I used the tool on an image and set one gradient part without any problems and when trying to set the second gradient a few moments later, the strange behaviour started.

I upgraded to LR 2.4 (had 2.2. installed), but that did not solve my problem....

Am I doing something completely wrong here or is this a bug that others are experiencing as well?

Oh, and I restarted LR and the machine a dozen times now. Does not help. Tried it on other images as well with no success.

Below I made a screenshot to show the grad tool behaviour on a sample image:

Thanks for any help,
Rene

Edit: btw I´m on a MacbookPro
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 11:02:24 am by rkissinger »

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Grad Tool Bug?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 02:04:29 pm »

I don't fully understand your problem, but even if it works like I think you describe you can "after the fact" grab both end-lines and move it wherever you want (closer or farther away of the center line of the grad). I assume in your screenshot you're applying a + exposure or brightness to the lower part? If this is correct and you want it more gradual just grab the lower thin line and pull it down in the picture.

Hope this helps, or if this is not your problem maybe post a whole sequence of what you're doing will make the problem more clear.
pieter, aka pegelli

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Grad Tool Bug?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 03:14:09 pm »

This is I believe, what Seth Resnick might call a 'bug feature'. You have to remember that the two lines represent only the actual *change* in graduation.

If you draw a horizontal grad (Shift key makes it so) from North to South, the top line *and everything North of it right up to the edge of frame* is the grad at 100%; the bottom line is the grad at 0% *and everything South of it is unaffected*. The Dot in the middle is the grad effect at 50% of what you have set in the panel.

I too thought for a long time that the top line was the start of the grad - not so it is the beginning of the end  

Just remember it is the edge *feather* distance that you are controlling - not the outside edge of the effect.

Chris
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 03:15:09 pm by ChrisSand »

rkissinger

Grad Tool Bug?
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 05:31:32 pm »

Quote from: ChrisSand
This is I believe, what Seth Resnick might call a 'bug feature'. You have to remember that the two lines represent only the actual *change* in graduation.
Just remember it is the edge *feather* distance that you are controlling - not the outside edge of the effect.

OK...took me some time to think about it. Thing is, a lot of times it actually produced the results I expected. And then it suddenly didn´t anymore.

But what may have caused me thinking of a bug could have been the content of the actual images I was working on. In some the effect just wasn´t as dramatic as in others.

I´ll go back to the images where I did not see strange behaviour and will check that again. Could as well be that my starting/clicking point was on the wrong side sometimes so the effect was applied
'correctly' (in my perspective) sometimes and sometimes not....

Woah...sorry even confusing myself right now   Not a native English speaker, hope I didn´t cause any harm to you  

Thanks for the input! I´ll get back on that once I had the time to test!

Kind regards,
René
Pages: [1]   Go Up