Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Southwest in winter  (Read 4389 times)

ph_anto

Southwest in winter
« on: July 12, 2009, 07:38:06 am »

I'm planning my next trip to the Southwest,and i would like to go in winter,last december early january.What do you thik about it?

dalethorn

Southwest in winter
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 09:12:23 am »

Quote from: ph_anto
I'm planning my next trip to the Southwest,and i would like to go in winter,last december early january.What do you thik about it?

Very good choice since it's not hot then. Be careful about mountain roads, or any roads in the high desert - can be very icy. Mixed weather with clouds etc. makes for very good photographic potential, but the sunrises and sunsets are unpredictable.

ph_anto

Southwest in winter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 09:32:16 am »

i've tried a lot of time in october and was nice,what do you think is better?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Southwest in winter
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 09:41:34 am »

I did a couple of weeks in Death Valley two years ago in January, and the weather was beautiful. That is an incredible place to spend lots of time, and winter is very bearable. We had a few clouds a couple of days (just enough to improve some landscapes), but otherwise cloudless. High temperatures in the low 70s F and lows at night about 50 F.

It is a huge place, so don't expect to do everything, unless you have a couple of months. Two weeks just scratched the surface.

I would guess that the South Rim of Grand Canyon and southern Arizona might be good in January, too, but I've only done that in March. Trips to New Mexico last year and southern Utah this year in April were very good, but on both trips a few key destinations were inaccessible because of snow.

That's my 2 cents.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Southwest in winter
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 12:15:58 pm »

Quote from: ph_anto

I went first week of Dec several years ago.  Weather was great and no crowds.  Only issue was at Bryce where they had a lot of icy snow so most of the trails were closed.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Southwest in winter
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 01:40:24 pm »

You can find interesting stuff in the SW all year round.  December & January are written in terms of Stark in that trees will be bare except for evergreens, and other vegetation dry and somewhat trampled.  Rivers will be dry or almost so.  But stark is interesting, and the sun will be low in the sky most of the (short) day with long, intense shadows...HDR is indicated, be subtle please.

Personally I don't do very much work at that time except when it snows, in which case I scramble.  For some reason my head just filled up with pictures of Monument Valley with a light snow glowing blue from skylight against rich red dirt with with miles-long volcanic chimney shadows stretching towards the horizon.  Could only trump that with some Antelope Canyon Shots ™.  

For the latitudes of Northern New Mexico, first or second week of October (above 6000 feet) through last week of October (5000 feet) are prime times for Autumn color shots sprinkled with nice brown adobe structures that will sell like hotcakes.

Hank

Southwest in winter
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 03:05:21 pm »

I've done a lot of December/January shooting in the Canyonlands/Arches/Natural Bridges area.  There are also vast areas of public land not in the parks, but still offering really notable experiences with or without a camera.  December/January is my favorite time for all of those.  Factors to keep in mind are overnight cold (and sometimes in the day, too) as well as shorter day length.  It's quite easy to find yourself miles from your vehicle with darkness falling faster than you can walk, nevermind the great evening light.  I always carry extra clothes, a headlamp with extra batteries and a GPS.  And I need them almost every time I hike!

ph_anto

Southwest in winter
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 04:21:53 pm »

my plan is about Canyonlands,Arches,Monument Valley,Bryce and weather permitting,Mesa Verde.

bill proud

• http://www.billproudphotography.com
Southwest in winter
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 03:36:27 pm »

I live just outside Mesa Verde. Cliff Palace will be closed in winter, although you can ski or hike into the overlook. Parts of the road can be iced over as well, although I have never read about any driving fatalities in the park. Hovenweep has easier access to its much smaller ruins but there are many photo angles you can work.

Canyonlands, Mesa Arch and Dead Horse Point are good for winter shooting. Moab motel rates are very low in Dec./Jan.

Sun is too far south for Totem Pole and sand dunes(in sun) in Jan, as well as Teardrop but MV always a pretty place to shoot.

Hard to predict snow. It will disappear fast around MV and Arches but will last for Canyonlands and DHP.

Best,

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
Southwest in winter
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 12:07:09 am »

Winter is a great time to be in the Moab area.  There are very few tourists, meaning you may well have some of the popular locations to yourself (i.e. Mesa Arch, Windows area, etc.).  It is always possible to catch some snow on the red rocks, too.  Temps can be downright frigid and hiking on slickrock can be challenging as it often gets covered with a thin, almost invisible, layer of ice.  Hotels are nearly empty and can be had at bargain prices.  Dirt roads are often impassable, even w/ a heavily modified 4x4.

In a nutshell, winter is my favorite time to photograph the Moab area.  I think you would really enjoy a winter trip to the area!
Pages: [1]   Go Up