Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Great Escape  (Read 2021 times)

alangubbay

The Great Escape
« on: July 12, 2009, 05:42:45 am »

Having torn themselves free from their canvases, these Lowry figures take a moment to pose for the camera as they cross the bridge over the Salford Quays, leaving Victorian Manchester for freedom in the 21st century!

dalethorn

The Great Escape
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 09:18:03 am »

Quote from: alangubbay
Having torn themselves free from their canvases, these Lowry figures take a moment to pose for the camera as they cross the bridge over the Salford Quays, leaving Victorian Manchester for freedom in the 21st century!

It's very different - how did you photograph this?

Rob C

The Great Escape
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 09:51:16 am »

Quote from: alangubbay

Loved Michael Jackson and also Adolf! If it gets a little cooler I shall look and study again, but I am melting in this heatwave. And we are not even in August. ¡Madre de Dios!

Ciao - Rob C

Ray

The Great Escape
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 10:14:19 am »

I'd have to say that the people look a bit strange or odd. The camera lens must have produced tremendous distortion, and the lack of detail and texture would indicate it was a very, very poor lens used for this shot   .

alangubbay

The Great Escape
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 03:56:54 pm »

Quote from: Ray
I'd have to say that the people look a bit strange or odd. The camera lens must have produced tremendous distortion, and the lack of detail and texture would indicate it was a very, very poor lens used for this shot   .

That is an interesting observation.  In fact, the lens used is one of the very best that Carl Zeiss ever made!

Perhaps the painter L S Lowry is not so well known outside the UK.  He is famous for his "matchstick figures" set in grim industrial Victorian scenes of Northern England - now all very nostagic.  The modern bridge leading from the Lowry museum with its towers was photographed and figures taken from several paintings then superimposed on the road with appropriate shadows.  The modern buildings were removed (very tedious indeed between the wires) and background replaced with bits from a couple paintings. Finally, Lowry's case, umbrella and a dog were added.

I thought that the title and description would explain it - a combination of the old and the new.  I have a large canvas print which is much admired here in the UK but perhaps it will not work well across the pond!  Do look up Lowry on Google etc.  You don't know what you are missing....!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up