Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lens recommendations for Canon FF  (Read 7162 times)

Chris Pollock

Lens recommendations for Canon FF
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 05:33:56 am »

Quote from: feppe
I paid for a 5D MkII in January, it still hasn't shipped - hopefully in a week or two (another long story increasing my blood pressure).
That doesn't sound right. I can't believe that any legitimate retailer would take 6 months to order one in. Where did you order it from? Are you sure you're not being scammed?

I'm not sure how FF would make the comparative performance of the lenses different, or improve the performance of the 24-105mm. Isn't the crop sensor using the sharpest portion of the lens, thus moving to FF would make it even softer? Not to mention the much higher pixel count would reveal even smaller imperfections in the glass.
Your 450D is trying to get 12.2 megapixels of image information out of the central 40% of the lens' image circle. The 5D Mark I tries to get 12.7 megapixels out of the whole image circle. This means that the 450D requires more than 50% better resolution from the lens to get the same per-pixel resolution. It is true that lenses tend to be sharper in the middle than at the corners, but this will seldom be enough to make the photo from the smaller sensor look better. It's also worth noting that Canon's biggest weakness is in wide angle lenses, and the 450D will of course need a wider lens than a 5D to achieve a given field of view.

By the way, even a 5D Mark II has a somewhat lower pixel density than a 450D, and so will require slightly less average lens resolution to achieve a given level of per pixel sharpness.

I also used Live View AF for the test shots, which if I understand correctly is the most accurate way to focus since it reads sensor data.
I also use that for shooting static subjects, since it's theoretically more reliable. I'll try to do a comparitive shoot with the 85mm F1.8 and the 24-105 if I can find the time over the weekend.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 05:59:21 am »

Quote from: Chris Pollock
That doesn't sound right. I can't believe that any legitimate retailer would take 6 months to order one in. Where did you order it from? Are you sure you're not being scammed?

I think I am.

Chris Pollock

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 06:22:27 am »

I think I am.
Sorry, I remembered that thread, but had forgotten who started it.

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 07:41:22 am »

I ordered mine from Adorama 2 Fridays ago and it arrived the following Monday UPS ground.

Good price too.

Bud
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 10:21:55 am »

Hi,

You get more pixels, center pixels should be about the same, corner pixels probably softer. Sorry about your blood pressure.

Best regards
Erik

I paid for a 5D MkII in January, it still hasn't shipped - hopefully in a week or two (another long story increasing my blood pressure). I'm not sure how FF would make the comparative performance of the lenses different, or improve the performance of the 24-105mm. Isn't the crop sensor using the sharpest portion of the lens, thus moving to FF would make it even softer? Not to mention the much higher pixel count would reveal even smaller imperfections in the glass.

Thanks for all the input, guys; I will have to do some serious photographic soul searching after I get that to see which direction I should go to: fixed focal and/or zoom digital 35mm, MF film, or LF film.
Erik Kaffehr

spotmeter

• http://www.photographica.us
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 11:46:20 pm »

As I recently concluded that the Canon 24-105mm F4L is too soft to my liking, I'm looking to replace it with primes. I have Canon's 85mm f/1.8 and 135mm F2L so I have the telephoto end already covered.

I'm looking for two lenses in the range between 25-50mm - I'll probably get the wide angle first, and a normal lens if I feel it's necessary. I'd be shooting mainly travel, landscapes, cityscapes and stitched panos, mostly on tripod, with these lenses.

Here the requirements:
  • SHARP between f/5.6 and f/8
  • Fast lens not necessary
  • AF not strictly necessary but preferred *
  • Brand doesn't matter, but needs to come in Canon mount (duh)
  • Price tops around 1200 EUR (1700 USD) (new or mint used) per lens, but as long as the requirements are met I don't care if it's cheap

* After reading the recent MFDB focusing article on LL I would like to hear if it is feasible to manually focus with a 5D MkII
\

I have tested many primes and the best have been the new Zeiss ZF primes with a Cameraquest adapter. By now, you should be able to buy some of them with a Canon mount.  The Zeiss 25mm is one you should try, and their 50mm tested much better than my Canon 50mm f1.4.

stever

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 01:44:39 am »

certainly the 24-105 is not as sharp as a prime such as the 50 1.4 or the short teles, but a good copy should not be noticeably soft.  mine has proportionally better resolution on the 5D2 than the 5D, particualarly at f5.6-8.  the vignetting is easily corrected in LR if you need to, and the distortion (which i find the most objectionable characteristic of the lens) in PT Lens.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up