Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: editing on location  (Read 23443 times)

Carsten W

editing on location
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2009, 03:17:38 pm »

Quote from: foto-z
You would need to add a 54 to 34 adapter (if available), and then the card would stick out, of course. However the 54 version is a lot faster than the 34 as you can see.

At some point, a Firewire 800 drive must make more sense. Almost as fast as eSATA and much more space.
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

jimgolden

• http://
editing on location
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2009, 05:39:36 pm »

Quote from: carstenw
At some point, a Firewire 800 drive must make more sense. Almost as fast as eSATA and much more space.

i thought so too, but take a look -

http://macperformanceguide.com/Storage-Dri...s-Firewire.html

seems like a RAID 0 in eSATA will be much faster than a FW800 external - even if it was a RAID 0

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
editing on location
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2009, 07:12:09 pm »

Quote from: jimgolden
i thought so too, but take a look -

http://macperformanceguide.com/Storage-Dri...s-Firewire.html

seems like a RAID 0 in eSATA will be much faster than a FW800 external - even if it was a RAID 0
you are wrong guys. the pure reading/writing numbers dont reflect the behavor with many small files.
there is no head to be moved in the ssd drive and this leads to much faster results than the max. writing/reading speeds of regular promise if compared the regular drives.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 07:39:11 pm by rainer_v »
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

ziocan

editing on location
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2009, 07:29:53 pm »

Quote from: Adina
hi rainer,

you can use this card as a usb 'stick' on a laptop without a express slot
(... for file exchange ...)

Greetings
Adina
Could this card could be used for quick and fast back ups at the end of the shoot? is it faster than an eSata or FW800 external drive?

All the times I end the shooting day with a few tenths of thousands euros worth of production costs in my HD. During the shoot or at the end, we always spend quite some time backing up on external raids or a couple of single drives normally FW800. I was wondering if a couple of this cards could be a faste alternative.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 07:31:24 pm by ziocan »

Jens_Langen

editing on location
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2009, 03:45:13 pm »

Can you put the OS on the SSD Express Card?  Will this give faster boot up?
If so, then what about all the music and movies (80 gigs worth} that I have on the internal hard drive
of my MBP- can these be left on the hard drive but still have the OS on the SSD card?
How do you strip out "User" files from the OS so they can be in different places without
affecting your ability to use iTunes?
I use the MBP for location shoots and editing, but also for personal use.
Would love the speed bump the SSD card can provide....

jimgolden

• http://
editing on location
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2009, 06:01:16 pm »

Quote from: rainer_v
you are wrong guys. the pure reading/writing numbers dont reflect the behavor with many small files.
there is no head to be moved in the ssd drive and this leads to much faster results than the max. writing/reading speeds of regular promise if compared the regular drives.

I was referring to the FW800 vs eSata. theres no way SSD could be faster do to no moving parts...

Boris_Epix

editing on location
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2009, 08:47:12 pm »

it sticks out less on a mac than on foto-z`s photo.
yes the drive is inside the card.
why they have built in an usb port in the card ?  dont know.

[attachment=15370:090713_0...75_1615X.jpg]

The USB ports on SSD devices is usually EXCLUSIVELY used to update the firmware which in some cases can bring significant performance boosts as many of todays SSD products are shipped to the customer like bananas (half green). So if you want to get them yellow at some point you need to update the firmware.

A word of caution: SSD's are an entirely different thing than harddisks. Harddisk are all somewhat fast. With SSD's you get REALLY fast ones... and EXTREMELY CRAPPY ones. I put a first generation OCZ Core Series 60 GB SSD into my tower. It was fine with one program. I enjoyed that there was no noise and that it didn't require any cooling. But I noticed that as soon as you ran two programs it would get REALLY slow. Windows XP freezes for 2-3 seconds before the screen refreshes and basicly it's worse than working on a 10 year old computer.

Now I have the Intel SSD's which are GREAT. Entirely different game. Sending the computer to standby takes 2 seconds or less. Starting up less than 30 seconds (2 minutes before with traditional harddisks). Most programs take less than a second to start. It's just amazing.

Intel's SSD's are optimized for read operations. So they are fast to show you thumbnails of your pics... browse through files. Very good on many files in parallel. They are a little slower on write operations than some of the competition. Some of the competitors really improved their products by adding caches or built-in RAID 0 (which I wouldn't buy because of the bigger risk of failure). If you want to use SSD REALLY REALLY REALLY don't be a cheapskate. Skip first and second generation products. Go straight to the current models and make sure they do not have the crappy JMicro controllers that cause the "stuttering" and freezes.

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
editing on location
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2009, 08:40:48 am »

so which one is the current best option, in 128gb size and 34mm express slot?
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

Snook

editing on location
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2009, 10:31:35 am »

its a    48gb NAND flash Drive Expresscard which goes in the never used card slot. i moved to it my programs as photoshop, bridge,
lightroom, exposure as well as the image files from lightroom, the scratchdisc for photoshop and the cache for bridge.

further, but less important , i installed a 4gb PC-5300 Memory Module together with a 2gb module ( results in 6 gb ram )
and a fast 500gb Segate 7200rpm 2.5" hd.

the memory and  the hd built in here in chicago ( very fast service ) a nice guy called gino, he gave me also the advice to try ssd drives and sold me the card.
 http://www.machero.com/

now its the fastest laptop i ever touched or saw .... by far. it even dont slow down noticeable  if lightroom converts, photomatix renders hi dynamic files and i work in ps at the same time on multi- layer files.  also the programs start now very very quick, even if i start all three adobes together they come up very fast for the hot reading speed of the ssd.

the express cards costs $ 199,-- and i will add ssd cards or drives to all my systems.

CAn anybody let me know where I can buy the right card that rainer is talking about. when I do a seacrh they come up USB etc.. But I a cannot find the card that rainer is talking about. I have the older 17 Inch and wanted to keep it for a while longer as I like , do not need a newer one ann nd bascially happy with it.
I would how ever like to Pimp it out and the Card sounds great that Rainer speaks of as well as the price!!
Thnaks for any help with this, sounds like a great solution and many places I look do not carry the cards because the newer macintoshes do not have the PC slots.
Thanks for maybe a link or specific model number so I can purchase one on my trip the the USA next week.
When I did a google seacrh for the product rainer mentioned it came up USB sticks only.
Thanks again
Snook

rainer_v

editing on location
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2009, 10:33:47 am »

Quote from: Snook
CAn anybody let me know where I can buy the right card that rainer is talking about. when I do a seacrh they come up USB etc.. But I a cannot find the card that rainer is talking about. I have the older 17 Inch and wanted to keep it for a while longer as I like , do not need a newer one ann nd bascially happy with it.
I would how ever like to Pimp it out and the Card sounds great that Rainer speaks of as well as the price!!
Thnaks for any help with this, sounds like a great solution and many places I look do not carry the cards because the newer macintoshes do not have the PC slots.
Thanks for maybe a link or specific model number so I can purchase one on my trip the the USA next week.
When I did a google seacrh for the product rainer mentioned it came up USB sticks only.
Thanks again
Snook
SolidGo 48 Gb

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820161325
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

Snook

editing on location
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2009, 01:08:20 pm »

SolidGo 48 Gb

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820161325

Thank you very much Rainer... I was mistaken I thought it was the USB slot but in fact it is a PC slot but with a USB connector built in..
Thank you very much...

Snook

Snook

editing on location
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2009, 11:30:20 pm »

Thank you very much Rainer... I was mistaken I thought it was the USB slot but in fact it is a PC slot but with a USB connector built in..
Thank you very much...

Snook

Getting ready to buy this set up, but was wondering a couple of things.
Is it the same to have an expresss card with eSATA instead og the USB and with out the 49GB SSD card and instead have a external HD set up through the eSATA conected to an external HD 500 gig HD.?
Is there any, beside less Bulk, about having the express card wit the 49Gb on it or just using an expresss card with a 500 gig External HD connected to the express card with eSATA connectivity?

Like this,
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sonnet%20Te...y/SATAIIPROE34/

Connected to an external Boot drive that would have C1 and photoshop installed on it.
Would I see the same performance boost.
I just recieved my 500gig 7200rpm drive for the MacbookPro. I have a 2.4ghz 17" MacbookPro and have  4 gigs of ram installed which is the Max on this model.atleast at apple.
So I was thinking even when in studio or locations where it  is was possible I would rather have the Expresss with eSATA connectivity and connect that to a 500 Gig HD external hard drive.
Or is that not going to improve speed at all?
Or is it actually faster the 49gig espress card that you have mentioned?

Thanks for any help as I need to purchase this sometime tomorrow. I prefer macsales as I have an account there, but they do not seem to sell any espress cards with the 49gigs storage on the card itself, they only seem to have express to connect drives (externally).

Snook

evgeny

editing on location
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2009, 10:00:15 am »

My Macbook Pro 13.3" with 8Gb RAM and 256GB SSD boots in approx 12 seconds. CS4 starts in about 3 seconds.

shuttersny

editing on location
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2009, 09:23:57 am »

Just want to mention that Tekserve in NYC still has in stock 15” Macbook Pro 2.66G/z with Expresscard Slot for under $2k- On which can accommodate these  cards

Snook

editing on location
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2009, 06:34:10 pm »

Just got my  SSD card in and had a few questions..
Can I keep it always in the PC slot or is it better to eject when traveling or not in use?
Also does anybody know if I need to Install programs like lightroom/photoshop/C-1 to this drive or can I drag them to the drive?
Is making it a scratch disk already going to make photoshop faster?
Would appreciate if any bbody has any more information or links to more information about these little SSD card drives.
My main questions are the first 2, can I just leave it in the slot "permanently" and do I actually have to re-install photoshop to the drive?
Thanks for any further information
Snook

rainer_v

editing on location
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2009, 08:41:47 pm »

Just got my  SSD card in and had a few questions..
Can I keep it always in the PC slot or is it better to eject when traveling or not in use?
Also does anybody know if I need to Install programs like lightroom/photoshop/C-1 to this drive or can I drag them to the drive?
Is making it a scratch disk already going to make photoshop faster?
Would appreciate if any bbody has any more information or links to more information about these little SSD card drives.
My main questions are the first 2, can I just leave it in the slot "permanently" and do I actually have to re-install photoshop to the drive?
Thanks for any further information
Snook
you can drag ps to the ssd drive.
you can leave the card in the slot.
i disabled the sleeping mode of the Hds, my experience is that the ssd card can make problems after awakening from sleep.
runs better witout letting it go to bed.
ps is a lot faster only with the scratch disc on the ssd.
same with bridge if you put the raw and the bridge cache to the ssd.
same with the catalog of lightroom.

i dont have the programs itself installed on the ssd after i one time had problems with the need to activate them again, no idea for which reason.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

Snook

editing on location
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2009, 08:52:39 pm »

you can drag ps to the ssd drive.
you can leave the card in the slot.
i disabled the sleeping mode of the Hds, my experience is that the ssd card can make problems after awakening from sleep.
runs better witout letting it go to bed.
ps is a lot faster only with the scratch disc on the ssd.
same with bridge if you put the raw and the bridge cache to the ssd.
same with the catalog of lightroom.

i dont have the programs itself installed on the ssd after i one time had problems with the need to activate them again, no idea for which reason.

Thanks Rainer so much for the information..
Do you know if C=1 would make a difference running off the card?
Thank you again
Snook

Snook

editing on location
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2009, 05:44:39 pm »

Photoshop does not seem to recognize it as a Drive for scratch disk?
Also I notice when looking with dosk utility that it says Windows NT file system..
Do I or should I format it for macintosh?
Sorry but not sure how to work it best.
Should I erase and format it or keep it like it is.
Have not tried to place photoshop on it either as I wanted to check here first.
Please let me know if I should or need to format it as Mac file system.
I have it attached in my Macbook pro 17 inch and it shows mounted on the desktop but does say Windows file system and in photoshop CS4 it is not recognized as a possible scratch disk.
Thanks for any more help
Snook

jjlphoto

editing on location
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2009, 07:25:49 pm »

Do you know if C=1 would make a difference running off the card?
CO is a processor based application.

Do I or should I format it for macintosh?
Photoshop does not seem to recognize it as a Drive for scratch disk?
Format Mac OS extended (journaled)
If still not seen, do a Get Info (Apple I) on the drive and see what it reads for permissions.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 07:55:28 pm by jjlphoto »
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

Snook

editing on location
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2009, 01:45:22 pm »

Hey guys sorry to keep this up, but this seems to be the only site I have found with information and where I can ask questions.

I remember Rainer stating that he just dragged photoshop to the SSD drive. Would I drag it to the drive then toss the one on my main HD of the laptop?
I have tons of Actions and Plug ins that I would hate to have to re-install again but no big deal if worse came to worse.
Do I just drag the whole photoshop folder to the SSD and is there going to be more improve VS just using the SSD as the Scratch disk only.
Also I have the 17 inch 2.4 GHz Intel Cor 2 Duo version which I have 4 gigs of ram. is the model able to have the gigs like stated or an I edition ealier than that one?
Thanks for information.
I basically like my 17 incher and just would like to Pimp it out more.
I just got the SSD card and a 500 gig 7200rpm Seagate Momentus Internal Drive for it.
Appreciate all the good information here and another 2 gigs of RAM would certainly help out as I do a lot of retocuhing on this one when not on the MacPro with 10 gigs of RAM. Will try to leave that in the studio for Tethering etc....

Thanks
Snook

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up