Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: editing on location  (Read 23439 times)

revaaron

editing on location
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2009, 11:30:49 pm »

I finally found an email from january:

OCZ has 60GB SSDs for $96
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=1197245

people are taking them and putting them into a RAID 0.
Yeah you only have a 60GB drive, but look at these rates:
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/sh...ead.php?t=50502

doesn't help lappies.
What about ibm turbo memory in your lappies?

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
editing on location
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 12:54:30 am »

i always search for simple solutions... so was ment my sharing here.
and its simple and cheap to invest 170 -199$ in an older mbp, stick the card in the express slot, format it and double the speed of that machine at least with photoshop but also lightroom.

no,- gwith, the card doesnt stick out. just 1 millimeter and  thats that it can be pressed in a bit it to eject it.

btw. : i use a filemate solidgo expresscard with 48gb, price between 170-200$, 115MB/s reading speed, 65Mb/s writing.
part of the increased speed seems to be  that SSD is with many small files ( as the scratch file or camera raw file is ) much faster than the pure numbers tell, cause there is no head to be moved.

of course you can tune the box faster investing several thousand bucks and much energy, but mine works with my over 2 year old laptop and it does it very good. thats the point of what i wrote ...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 02:07:03 pm by rainer_v »
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

gwhitf

editing on location
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 08:30:50 am »

Quote from: rainer_v
no,- gwith, the card doesnt stick out. just 1 millimeter and  thats that it can be pressed in a bit it to eject it.

can you snap a photo of it with your cell phone and post it? I know the card doesn't stick out, but where does the drive live? Outside the card, or inside the card? Is the SSD like a CF flash card? Hard to picture the setup in my mind.

Graham Mitchell

editing on location
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 09:16:55 am »

Quote from: gwhitf
can you snap a photo of it with your cell phone and post it? I know the card doesn't stick out, but where does the drive live? Outside the card, or inside the card? Is the SSD like a CF flash card? Hard to picture the setup in my mind.

Try this link: http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn261/s...pg?t=1247490978

rainer_v

editing on location
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 11:18:49 am »

Quote from: gwhitf

it sticks out less on a mac than on foto-z`s photo.
yes the drive is inside the card.
why they have built in an usb port in the card ?  dont know.

[attachment=15370:090713_0...75_1615X.jpg]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 11:19:09 am by rainer_v »
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

gwhitf

editing on location
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 11:54:08 am »

yes the drive is inside the card.

Incredible. All that, tucked into that tiny space. Thank you.

dfarkas

• http://www.leicastoremiami.com
editing on location
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 01:15:52 pm »

I just took delivery of my new Dell Precision M6400 Mobile Workstation on Friday.

Dell Precision M6400

I chose this unit for a few reasons:

• Quad core processor - Mine has a QX9300 Quad 2.53Ghz
  • 16GB RAM support - the laptop has 4 DDR slots instead of two, allowing you to either spec it out with 4x4GB for max capactiy or use 4x2GB for an inexpensive 8GB (~$100). Mine has 8GB
  • 100% AdobeRGB Gamut display - It uses an RGB LED backlight LCD panel at 1920x1200. Plenty of screen real estate and the color gamut is almost too much. After turning down the brightness to about 30% to get 100 cd/m2 and profiling with an EyeOne XT, the color is pretty much dead-on. Extreme colors like 255 0 0 red are really, really intense (for better or for worse).  It is available in both glossy and anti-glare finishes. I chose the anti-glare, which is working out very well so far.
  • Graphics card - comes with Nvidia Quadro FX3700M dedicated graphics card with 1GB GDDR3 and 128 ALU cores. This card sucks battery power like it is goind out of style, but full-screen HD content has never been smoother. This allows me to take advantage of CS4 CUDA optimizations, and do full HD video editing in real time.
  • Dual HD support with hardware RAID (and optical drive, too) - The BIOS supports RAID 1 or 0 on the hardware level. My machine came with a moderate speed 128GB SSD, but I'm awaiting my two Samsung 256GB SSDs which I will be putting into a RAID 0 for 500GB onborad storage. This Samsung drive uses a brand new controller and gets about 250MB/sec read with 190MB/s write. In RAID 0, should be about 400MB/s read and 350MB/s write. The random write isn't as good as the Intel X-25M (20MB/s) but it isn't bad at 5MB/s. Compared to other SSDs and standard HDDs at about 0.5MB/s, this is still pretty good.
  • Expandability - besides the dual HD and slot-load optical drive (up to Blu-Ray burner if desired), I also have full size Display Port, E-Sata, plenety of USB ports, full size Firewire, SD card reader, PC Card slot, and Express54 slot.
  • Warranty - Comes with 3 year Next Business Day Onsite. Someone shows up at your home, office, hotel, studio, wherever... to do any repairs or replacements. Much more convenient than driving to the mall and waiting at the Genius Bar. For an extra $169, I upgraded to Complete Care, which covers all accidental damage as well. Nice piece of mind for someone who depends on their machine on the road.
The bad part is the Precision weighs 8.5 lbs and only clocks about 2.5 hours on a full battery charge. So far neither of these things have really bothered me. I'm in love with the speed, silence, amazing LCD screen, and expandability. Also, I'm running Windows 7, which is an absolute joy to use. It is very Mac-like while still retaining the logic of Win XP (don't want to start any OS flame wars here.... I've used both for many years, but just in two days Win 7 is my favorite by far! It is so intuitive and quick).

As far as speed, I ran Lightroom 2.4 64-bit and converted a P45+ 39MP file to a 16-bit TIFF in just over 5 seconds! And, that was with no RAID and the slow (90MB/s) SSD that I have until the fast Samsungs arrive.

This is an amazing piece of hardware and any reservations I had about weight or size or whatever have fallen by the wayside. My plan is to do most of my production on this computer and not have to go back to work on files on the Eizo a second time.

David
David Farkas
Leica Store Miami
www.leicastoremiami.com

Check out Red Dot Forum for Leica news, reviews, blogs and discussion

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
editing on location
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 01:57:00 pm »

This is something Apple needs to be doing is making laptops that just fly. Sounds really nice David. The trick on that box is the quad core with C1. Damn I'm jealous. LOL
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

dfarkas

editing on location
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 04:04:12 pm »

Quote from: Guy Mancuso
This is something Apple needs to be doing is making laptops that just fly. Sounds really nice David. The trick on that box is the quad core with C1. Damn I'm jealous. LOL

Guy,

I just processed a P30+ file in C1 4.8 to 16-bit TIFF in 11 seconds. How does this compare to your 15" MBP? Just curious.

Interestingly, I ran the same file through LR 2.4 and it processed in 4.5 seconds.

In both, my CPU meter was pegged at 100% on all 4 cores.

Thoughts? And remember, these numbers are with my slow SSD. When I get the new drives, I'll run my tests again.

David
David Farkas
Leica Store Miami
www.leicastoremiami.com

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
editing on location
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2009, 04:36:32 pm »

18 seconds in Profoto color space you dog. LOL

I need quad cores
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 04:37:44 pm by Guy Mancuso »
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

ziocan

editing on location
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2009, 09:54:50 pm »

Quote from: dfarkas
Guy,

I just processed a P30+ file in C1 4.8 to 16-bit TIFF in 11 seconds. How does this compare to your 15" MBP? Just curious.

David
On my 2 years old Macbook pro 17", 2.4, 4gb ram and 7200rpm drive it takes 25 sec on prophoto rgb space.

I believe you spent nearly for grands for what seems a great pc.

ziocan

editing on location
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2009, 09:57:05 pm »

Interestingly, I ran the same file through LR 2.4 and it processed in 4.5 seconds.
that must be the reason LR files are not as detailed and clean compared to c1.
too fast to be good.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
editing on location
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2009, 11:59:15 pm »

Quote from: jimgolden
jack -do you store your "live" jobs on your desktop then?? did you use the MaxConnect cable to do your raid? was any other raid card needed?

I do all my raid using the basic OSX software raid tool -- piece of cake easy to set up and works very well for RAID-0 or 1 applications, but it won't do RAID-5. (It will do 0-1 or 1-0 though, and given the low cost of drives right now, that might be a better overall redundancy strategy...) Anyway, I originally stored my "live" jobs on the desktop, but usually only the output folders as ALL of my job raw files get put immediately on the Working Image array since that gets backed up to the DROBO at regular scheduled intervals (my desktop doesn't get backed up to the DROBO, but it could.)  Then what I do is convert my raws and write to the dedicated output folder that C1 sets up automatically for each session on the 4-drive array.  

I used to write the output folder on the desktop since I figured it would be faster reading from the 4-drive array and writing to the 2-drive desktop array, and why I set it up that way to begin with, but at the end of the day the 4-drive array is so fast when being shared for I/O the difference in speed is essentially insignificant even when processing a couple hundred files -- in the end it just didn't matter that much.  So right now, I have a really fast OS array with a HUGE desktop that sits mostly unused other than for occasional temporary storage of large folders.  Where it does come in handy is reading and saving a large set of files I'm currently editing in CS while doing batch raw processing in the background since the programs are not competing for I/O on the working array.  But in all honesty my total efficiency would be very similar -- and I'd still have plenty of free space -- with just one of the 640's dedicated to the OS and desktop -- and I'll likely reconfigure it that way just as soon as I find a better purpose for that freed up OS drive.  Assuming Time Machine gets improved with Snow Leopard (a lot of us think TM should be directly bootable), maybe I'll use it as TM for a full historical OS and desktop file backup .  But at least the way it is now, my programs launch really, really quickly .
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 12:04:30 am by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

jimgolden

• http://
editing on location
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2009, 12:18:04 am »

thx jack

Adina

editing on location
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2009, 02:49:46 am »

why they have built in an usb port in the card ?  dont know.

hi rainer,

you can use this card as a usb 'stick' on a laptop without a express slot
(... for file exchange ...)

Greetings
Adina

BJNY

editing on location
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2009, 05:15:18 am »

David,

May I ask what your setup cost?

Sigh....I've been wishing for many years Apple would offer similar.

Regards,
Billy

I just took delivery of my new Dell Precision M6400 Mobile Workstation on Friday.

Dell Precision M6400

I chose this unit for a few reasons:

• Quad core processor - Mine has a QX9300 Quad 2.53Ghz
  • 16GB RAM support - the laptop has 4 DDR slots instead of two, allowing you to either spec it out with 4x4GB for max capactiy or use 4x2GB for an inexpensive 8GB (~$100). Mine has 8GB
  • 100% AdobeRGB Gamut display - It uses an RGB LED backlight LCD panel at 1920x1200. Plenty of screen real estate and the color gamut is almost too much. After turning down the brightness to about 30% to get 100 cd/m2 and profiling with an EyeOne XT, the color is pretty much dead-on. Extreme colors like 255 0 0 red are really, really intense (for better or for worse).  It is available in both glossy and anti-glare finishes. I chose the anti-glare, which is working out very well so far.
  • Graphics card - comes with Nvidia Quadro FX3700M dedicated graphics card with 1GB GDDR3 and 128 ALU cores. This card sucks battery power like it is goind out of style, but full-screen HD content has never been smoother. This allows me to take advantage of CS4 CUDA optimizations, and do full HD video editing in real time.
  • Dual HD support with hardware RAID (and optical drive, too) - The BIOS supports RAID 1 or 0 on the hardware level. My machine came with a moderate speed 128GB SSD, but I'm awaiting my two Samsung 256GB SSDs which I will be putting into a RAID 0 for 500GB onborad storage. This Samsung drive uses a brand new controller and gets about 250MB/sec read with 190MB/s write. In RAID 0, should be about 400MB/s read and 350MB/s write. The random write isn't as good as the Intel X-25M (20MB/s) but it isn't bad at 5MB/s. Compared to other SSDs and standard HDDs at about 0.5MB/s, this is still pretty good.
  • Expandability - besides the dual HD and slot-load optical drive (up to Blu-Ray burner if desired), I also have full size Display Port, E-Sata, plenety of USB ports, full size Firewire, SD card reader, PC Card slot, and Express54 slot.
  • Warranty - Comes with 3 year Next Business Day Onsite. Someone shows up at your home, office, hotel, studio, wherever... to do any repairs or replacements. Much more convenient than driving to the mall and waiting at the Genius Bar. For an extra $169, I upgraded to Complete Care, which covers all accidental damage as well. Nice piece of mind for someone who depends on their machine on the road.
The bad part is the Precision weighs 8.5 lbs and only clocks about 2.5 hours on a full battery charge. So far neither of these things have really bothered me. I'm in love with the speed, silence, amazing LCD screen, and expandability. Also, I'm running Windows 7, which is an absolute joy to use. It is very Mac-like while still retaining the logic of Win XP (don't want to start any OS flame wars here.... I've used both for many years, but just in two days Win 7 is my favorite by far! It is so intuitive and quick).

As far as speed, I ran Lightroom 2.4 64-bit and converted a P45+ 39MP file to a 16-bit TIFF in just over 5 seconds! And, that was with no RAID and the slow (90MB/s) SSD that I have until the fast Samsungs arrive.

This is an amazing piece of hardware and any reservations I had about weight or size or whatever have fallen by the wayside. My plan is to do most of my production on this computer and not have to go back to work on files on the Eizo a second time.

David
Guillermo

woof75

editing on location
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2009, 08:16:49 am »

Quote from: foto-z
This looks like the card to get at the moment:

PhotoFast G-Monster Express Card 54    - 180MB/s read, 100MB/s write

There's an Express Card 34 version too - 120MB/s read, 60 MB/s write

Do these both fit into the new 17 inch macbook pro, I thought it only had express card 34 slot?

dfarkas

editing on location
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2009, 08:42:49 am »

Quote from: BJNY
David,

May I ask what your setup cost?

Sigh....I've been wishing for many years Apple would offer similar.

Regards,
Billy

Billy,

I got the laptop refurbished from the Dell Outlet. Aside from the sticker on the bottom that says "refurbished" it looks and acts brand new. Not one fingerprint anywhere and still came with the new warranty. With the "slow" 128GB SSD (Dell calls it a mobility SSD), it cost $2800. Then, I added 2x 256GB Samsung SSDs (Dell calls them performance SSDs) for $469 each. I figured I saved enough on the computer to splurge on the drives. So, in total, it was about $3750.

I think I saw that some are running OS X on it using the Hackintosh method. Maybe you could look into it. But, I will say that Win 7 is really, really nice. I think even a die-hard Mac user would like it.

David
David Farkas
Leica Store Miami
www.leicastoremiami.com

rainer_v

editing on location
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2009, 11:27:54 am »

Quote from: Adina
hi rainer,

you can use this card as a usb 'stick' on a laptop without a express slot
(... for file exchange ...)

Greetings
Adina
hi adina,

year, i didnt realise that it is an input ,- but it is and so you can use the card also as usb device to transfer the data.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

Graham Mitchell

editing on location
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2009, 01:14:31 pm »

Quote from: woof75
Do these both fit into the new 17 inch macbook pro, I thought it only had express card 34 slot?

You would need to add a 54 to 34 adapter (if available), and then the card would stick out, of course. However the 54 version is a lot faster than the 34 as you can see.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up