Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations for near San Jose in October?  (Read 3662 times)

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
Recommendations for near San Jose in October?
« on: October 08, 2004, 06:26:18 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']If you haven't seen old-growth redwood forests yet (and they can be stunning!), there are several great redwoods parks within an hour or two of SJ.  Big Basin Redwoods State Park is the best of them, but also one of the farthest (check mapquest).  Portola State Redwoods Park is a closer good one (fewer of the really huge trees, but still well worth it).

If you have a whole day and like photographing seashore areas, the Monterey peninsula is a great day trip too (sea lions and sea birds, historic buildings in Monterey, rocky seashores in Pacific Grove, the famous 17-mile Drive, etc.).

There's really nowhere I know of that you're both allowed to go and that requires 4WD anywhere near SJ, so no need to even think about it.

Of course, if you have a whole weekend, it's less than four hours to Yosemite Valley...    :)

Lisa[/font]
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 06:41:37 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']In addition to what Lisa has already mentioned, there is Point Lobos just a few minutes South of Carmel and the Carmel Mission, both just south of Monterey.  There are a few other missions in the area like San Juan Batista.[/font]
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

giles

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 12:22:13 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Thanks everyone -- I took Lisa's suggestion and went to Big Basin Redwoods State park.  Lovely location and I enjoyed the hiking, and my new tripod worked well.

If I got any decent photographs that will be a bonus.  Probably not, but per Michael's latest essay I'm doing the right thing and taking photographs.  I'll get there. :-)

Cheers,

Giles[/font]

giles

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 06:10:12 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Hi,

I've found myself in San Jose for a couple of weeks.  I'm on a work trip so photography is very much secondary, but I may have a free weekend or two -- does anyone have any recommendations for me?

Transport-wise I have a car, but not a 4WD so locations that are accessible via car/foot are preferred.  Upgrading the rental car would be possible but a nuisance!

Thanks in anticipation,

Giles[/font]

giles

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 06:40:30 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']
If you haven't seen old-growth redwood forests yet (and they can be stunning!), there are several great redwoods parks within an hour or two of SJ.

Lisa, thanks for the suggestions.  The redwoods sound interesting; I have seen some before, but not for years. I have been to Monterey more recently, but spent most of my time at the aquarium.   (The weather outside ... well, fog and rain about sums it up. :-)

Of course, if you have a whole weekend, it's less than four hours to Yosemite Valley...    :)

Tempting, very tempting.  But I know if I go there I'll want to spend a lot of time, which I just don't have this trip.   I have in mind to visit Yosemite when I can travel and don't have to combine the trip with "real work"!

Cheers,

Giles[/font]

howard smith

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004, 08:00:23 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']There are the usual spots north - San Francisco, Marin headlands with views of the Golden Gate and The City skyline, Muir Woods, Point Reyes.[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up