Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eagle Rock  (Read 3560 times)

Andres Bonilla

Eagle Rock
« on: July 10, 2009, 05:29:22 pm »

I named Eagle Rock but I am not sure if it is called this or if it has a name. I loved the shape of the rock, what do you think?

Thanks,

Andres.

dalethorn

Eagle Rock
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 05:32:13 pm »

When I first brought it up I did a "wow"!  Very impressive.  If that's the way it looks at the scene, even more impressive.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Eagle Rock
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 01:54:23 am »

There's great detail in that image, and the 'eye' is clearly there.  It's missing the large 'hook' of an eagle's beak, but it's definitely quite the find!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Ed Blagden

Eagle Rock
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 07:55:48 am »

Good rock, good detail.  But what's with the black sky?  Sure, it is usually a good idea to get a red filter effect by pulling down the blue luminance, but this is going waaaaaaaay to far.  But maybe it's just my taste.

Ed

cmi

Eagle Rock
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 02:07:52 pm »

I absolutely love this one, Andres! It feels gigeresque with all this small high-contrast details, and the sky contributes to that. I feel as an object itself it is very good, but in its current form its somehow raw, lacks drama. So I would frame it different. First I'd add more black sky so the canvas becomes a square and then crop a square cutting away from the right side so the middle "bump" is no longer centered. I can attach a sample if you wish.

Christian

Andres Bonilla

Eagle Rock
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 03:53:49 pm »

Quote from: dalethorn
When I first brought it up I did a "wow"!  Very impressive.  If that's the way it looks at the scene, even more impressive.
Well, the place is gorgeous in real life, this is an approach to the site but you have to be there to truly enjoyed. It is photographers paradise.

Thanks Dale.

Andres Bonilla

Eagle Rock
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 03:54:48 pm »

Quote from: wolfnowl
There's great detail in that image, and the 'eye' is clearly there.  It's missing the large 'hook' of an eagle's beak, but it's definitely quite the find!

Mike.
Yes, it has some great looking rocks, I will try to post one in color.

Andres Bonilla

Eagle Rock
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 03:57:44 pm »

Quote from: Ed B
Good rock, good detail.  But what's with the black sky?  Sure, it is usually a good idea to get a red filter effect by pulling down the blue luminance, but this is going waaaaaaaay to far.  But maybe it's just my taste.

Ed
Ha, Ed good point, anytime I try to create mood and atmosphere is a gamble;some people love it some others prefer the more natural rendition. It s very subjective. The good thing about digital photography is that I stil got the color photo.    

Thanks.

Andres Bonilla

Eagle Rock
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 03:59:57 pm »

Quote from: Christian Miersch
I absolutely love this one, Andres! It feels gigeresque with all this small high-contrast details, and the sky contributes to that. I feel as an object itself it is very good, but in its current form its somehow raw, lacks drama. So I would frame it different. First I'd add more black sky so the canvas becomes a square and then crop a square cutting away from the right side so the middle "bump" is no longer centered. I can attach a sample if you wish.

Christian
Christian I would love to see your version of it; actually if anybody else would like to play with the photo please do and post the results. I think I would understand better your variation if you post the sample.

cmi

Eagle Rock
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 04:07:51 pm »

Quote from: Andres Bonilla
Christian I would love to see your version of it; actually if anybody else would like to play with the photo please do and post the results. I think I would understand better your variation if you post the sample.

Normally I post without asking but funnily as I like this one very much (I do images wich could be considered similar) I somehow wanted to ask first as not to impose myself

There it is, I took the freedom to attach a border, I could imagine seeing it at a wall around me. Just a rough sketch, but this is the most loose framing I could come up with - unfortunately it cuts away quite much from the substance. Could you still print that big? (Just curious.) I tried also cutting to the other side, so the bump is at the left, but I like this one better. Also now as I look at it, I would remove the grass tuft.

Christian
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 04:09:01 pm by Christian Miersch »

Andres Bonilla

Eagle Rock
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 04:21:07 pm »

Well Chris it is definitively a departure from the original, I also thought of the brush on the left. I am curious as to what is the opinion of the other photogs; I like the vertical Black sky but I have has very limited success wit this type of framing. It is kind of cool to play the open black space on top, it gives it a totally different feel. What do you mean by printing big?

cmi

Eagle Rock
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 04:36:11 pm »

Quote from: Andres Bonilla
Well Chris it is definitively a departure from the original, I also thought of the brush on the left. I am curious as to what is the opinion of the other photogs; I like the vertical Black sky but I have has very limited success wit this type of framing. It is kind of cool to play the open black space on top, it gives it a totally different feel. What do you mean by printing big?

The reason why the brush on the left disturbs is imho because it is (comparatively) the most natural element in an otherwise artificial scene. The framing is... well... it can be disregarded really, it was only a quick try, nothing I see as essential. And, yes, playing with that black space was real fun for me too.  Concerning print size, I maybe said it too fuzzy. I just wondered how big you could print it. I imagine it would start working more from say 50x50cm upwards.

dalethorn

Eagle Rock
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 05:35:25 pm »

Quote from: Christian Miersch
Normally I post without asking but funnily as I like this one very much (I do images wich could be considered similar) I somehow wanted to ask first as not to impose myself
There it is, I took the freedom to attach a border, I could imagine seeing it at a wall around me. Just a rough sketch, but this is the most loose framing I could come up with - unfortunately it cuts away quite much from the substance. Could you still print that big? (Just curious.) I tried also cutting to the other side, so the bump is at the left, but I like this one better. Also now as I look at it, I would remove the grass tuft.
Christian

This more distant perspective is good, but not as "wow" as the first.  Here the object is an object, like a rock or a statue - in the first, it felt like I was immersed in the object when I first saw it.  Good either way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up