Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting turn in Epsons attitude  (Read 3964 times)

Paul Eby

• http://www.digitalokpphoto.com
Interesting turn in Epsons attitude
« on: July 10, 2009, 12:58:16 pm »

I just finished a discussion with Epsons tech dept. concerning the on going problems with our 7900. Without going into details they said that basically they figure the printer is operating within normal limits and all they can do at this time is offer to purchase the printer back from me. Unfortunately he couldn't tell me what the dollar amount would be and weather it would include shipping and on hand consumables. That would be up to another dept. to answer.

I am a little surprised & puzzled by this attitude as we have used Epson printers from the beginning of our ink jet usage starting with the 1270. Basically they have told me they don't want me as a customer any longer.
This is not the course I wanted to take as I love the output from this printer and hoped I could work with tech support and solve the issue.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 02:21:39 pm »

What about your dealer?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Paul Eby

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 03:23:11 pm »

Quote from: digitaldog
What about your dealer?

Haven't approached them yet as I doubt they'll be willing to cover shipping.

Roscolo

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 03:25:41 pm »

Quote from: Paul Eby
I am a little surprised & puzzled by this attitude as we have used Epson printers from the beginning of our ink jet usage starting with the 1270. Basically they have told me they don't want me as a customer any longer.

I, too, had used Epson's exclusively for years going all the way back to the 1280. When they gave me the same attitude that "they didn't want me as a customer any longer," I took it to heart, moved to the HP z3100, and haven't looked back. In the end, I'm glad they Epson didn't want me any more because as a result I was put on a much more satisfactory path with the HP. YMMV

Farmer

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 02:25:06 am »

Sounds like a reasonable offer.

You're trying to fix a problem but they feel the printer is working within specification.  If it is, they're accepting that you're not happy with that specification and offering to refund you (such buy backs are typically for the full purchase price, at least here in Australia that's how it would work - that's based on the underlying legislation concerning such things).

If you don't want to send it back, you can continue to use it and wait to see if something changes.

I don't think it's a case of not wanting you as a customer, I think it's a case of them being honest and saying, "your printer appears to be working correctly, but we accept you don't agree or aren't satisfied with how it's working, so we're offering you a refund if you want it".  That's pretty much as good as it gets in terms of customer service.  If they can't fix the problem, it doesn't matter how much you and they want to, so the alternative is to offer your money back.

At this point, it might be worthwhile crystalising exactly what your concerns are - really drill down to the core issue that you have - and then present that to them and ask whether it's worth waiting to see if something can be changed or resolved.  At this point, it's possible that you've presented so many issues to them so frequently that your real, core concerns have been misunderstood.

Again, I doubt they no longer wish to have you as a customer, (unless you've made unreasonable threats of legal action or you're rude or something like that, no evidence of which I've seen in these forums from you, so I can't imagine that's the case), they just believe that they can't satisfy you as a customer at the moment and have done the reasonable thing of offering a refund.  I think you have an opportunity to clarify exactly where things stand and then either wait and continue to work or get a refund or perhaps push for (another?) replacement printer.
Phil Brown

Paul Eby

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 12:20:46 pm »

Quote from: Farmer
Sounds like a reasonable offer.

You're trying to fix a problem but they feel the printer is working within specification.  If it is, they're accepting that you're not happy with that specification and offering to refund you (such buy backs are typically for the full purchase price, at least here in Australia that's how it would work - that's based on the underlying legislation concerning such things).

If you don't want to send it back, you can continue to use it and wait to see if something changes.

I don't think it's a case of not wanting you as a customer, I think it's a case of them being honest and saying, "your printer appears to be working correctly, but we accept you don't agree or aren't satisfied with how it's working, so we're offering you a refund if you want it".  That's pretty much as good as it gets in terms of customer service.  If they can't fix the problem, it doesn't matter how much you and they want to, so the alternative is to offer your money back.

At this point, it might be worthwhile crystalising exactly what your concerns are - really drill down to the core issue that you have - and then present that to them and ask whether it's worth waiting to see if something can be changed or resolved.  At this point, it's possible that you've presented so many issues to them so frequently that your real, core concerns have been misunderstood.

Again, I doubt they no longer wish to have you as a customer, (unless you've made unreasonable threats of legal action or you're rude or something like that, no evidence of which I've seen in these forums from you, so I can't imagine that's the case), they just believe that they can't satisfy you as a customer at the moment and have done the reasonable thing of offering a refund.  I think you have an opportunity to clarify exactly where things stand and then either wait and continue to work or get a refund or perhaps push for (another?) replacement printer.

Well after a weekend to think it over that's the route I took. (keep the printer) Unfortunately I've kind of dug myself into a hole now with tech support.
Their standard answer now is "the printer is working within proper limits" if I raise a concern over certain conditions/problems (like ANC or clogging) their response is the printer is operating normally, we offered to take it back, you declined.

dseelig

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 05:31:35 pm »

Life is way too short too deal with stuff like, this call them and get rid of it. I doubt they will say no you had your chance. Get an hp or canon and start over. I had an epson 7600 loved it but it drained ink have an hp z3100 pain for single prints but so miserly with ink. Great with roll paper. All of these printers have their pluses and minuses. It seems like heavy duty printing people love the epson Lighter use people like canon or hp more. David

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 07:37:33 pm »

Quote from: Paul Eby
Unfortunately I've kind of dug myself into a hole now with tech support.

Just to be perfectly clear here, you are talking about Epson Canada, correct? Not Epson USA? While I've met a few folks from Epson Canada and they're really nice and polite, I wouldn't accuse them of being overly anxious and aggressive to get down to the root of a problem and eliminate it. Your Epson experience will vary considerably country by country. It's wrong to paint "Epson" with the same brush universally. Seiko/Epson-Japan and Epson-USA in my experience are highly technical and savvy in terms of engineering and science...Epson outside of Japan and the US tend to be marketing companies...personally, I would see about calling Epson USA's pro tech support...hey, it might work.

:~)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 07:43:34 pm by Schewe »

Paul Eby

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 07:07:03 am »

Quote from: Schewe
Just to be perfectly clear here, you are talking about Epson Canada, correct? Not Epson USA? While I've met a few folks from Epson Canada and they're really nice and polite, I wouldn't accuse them of being overly anxious and aggressive to get down to the root of a problem and eliminate it. Your Epson experience will vary considerably country by country. It's wrong to paint "Epson" with the same brush universally. Seiko/Epson-Japan and Epson-USA in my experience are highly technical and savvy in terms of engineering and science...Epson outside of Japan and the US tend to be marketing companies...personally, I would see about calling Epson USA's pro tech support...hey, it might work.

:~)

From my understanding all Canadian phone Tech support is handled through the US. It's only the technician dispatch and parts that originates in Canada.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 12:39:09 pm »

Quote from: Roscolo
I, too, had used Epson's exclusively for years going all the way back to the 1280. When they gave me the same attitude that "they didn't want me as a customer any longer," I took it to heart, moved to the HP z3100, and haven't looked back. In the end, I'm glad they Epson didn't want me any more because as a result I was put on a much more satisfactory path with the HP. YMMV

Same thing with me...I had used them since the Epson Stylus printer...first one they made, and have had at least 5 or 6 others, including 3 pro level.  Since the 7K series, I have moved to HP, and could not be more satisfied.  My printer is a printer that works when i send a print file... not a whining little kid who needs my attention every so often and drinks milk like an athlete in one of the Got Milk campaignes.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...
Pages: [1]   Go Up