Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bluemarine, alternative to Lightroom?  (Read 5799 times)

lay9eggs

Bluemarine, alternative to Lightroom?
« on: July 10, 2009, 01:51:12 am »

Has anyone used the open-source Bluemarine photo Editor? Do you mind giving a review? I found it here:

http://bluemarine.tidalwave.it/

Thanks again.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 02:32:59 am »

Considering the web site states "At the moment the QA is insufficient and the product is not yet suitable for production use. Don't download it if you think to use it - blueMarine at the moment can be only evaluated."

Uh, well, I got better things to do that "evaluate" an open source project...I gotta actually _DO_ stuff, ya know?

colinb

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 05:14:41 am »

Quote from: Schewe
Considering the web site states "At the moment the QA is insufficient and the product is not yet suitable for production use. Don't download it if you think to use it - blueMarine at the moment can be only evaluated."

Uh, well, I got better things to do that "evaluate" an open source project...I gotta actually _DO_ stuff, ya know?

That's nice. Of course you have better things to do, like mmmm, continue your commercial relationship with Adobe. Good for you. Tell us, when LR was first made available to you did you say that you had better things to do? After all, ACR does it all, right? Personally speaking, I use LR and quite like it. But I'll try a competitor. Perhaps it will be good. In which case I'll run it and stop being an Adobe customer.

Oh, is "open source" relevant to whether its worth trying? I imagine it shouldn't be. LR uses Lua. Apple depend on GCC and LLVM. All three open source.

Schewe

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 12:48:35 pm »

Quote from: colinb
That's nice. Of course you have better things to do, like mmmm, continue your commercial relationship with Adobe. Good for you. Tell us, when LR was first made available to you did you say that you had better things to do? After all, ACR does it all, right? Personally speaking, I use LR and quite like it. But I'll try a competitor. Perhaps it will be good. In which case I'll run it and stop being an Adobe customer.

Oh, is "open source" relevant to whether its worth trying? I imagine it shouldn't be. LR uses Lua. Apple depend on GCC and LLVM. All three open source.

Wow, you're a real butthead ain't ya bud? Don't think I've run across you before. Just as well, I'll add you to my ignore list.

As for what I'm busy with; finishing off a new book and then two weeks of shooting in England so no, not anything to do with my dirty little relationship with Adobe. As to what I thought when Mark Hamburg and Thomas Knoll brought PixelToy to my studio back in Dec of 2003, I told Mark that what he was thinking of doing–a snapshot painting app–didn't interest me and that what was needed was a database app. Sort of Camera Raw on steroids...

In terms of open source, I've yet to see any applications come out of open source that are particularly viable. Technologies yes, usable applications, no. It just takes too long for people to "play" with an application's development. Hey, wanna give up Photoshop? Use Gimp...hey, it's FREE...yeah, right....

Knowing what I know about Photoshop and Lightroom development, if a bunch of geeks think they can whip up a piece of code to compete with Photoshop or Lightroom (or heck, even Aperture) more power to them, Odds that will ever happen? Less than zero I would say...

Have a nice day, you have been ignored.

Panopeeper

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 02:40:22 pm »

Just as well, I'll add you to my ignore list.
I find it a repulsive attitude to close a discussion on one's side after having just posted the own arguments; it reveals the lack of certain decency.
Gabor

Schewe

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 04:24:59 pm »

Quote from: Panopeeper
it reveals the lack of certain decency.

LOL, I've never claimed to have any "decency"...but if somebody want to be insulting, fine, I hit back THEN walk away. Fair? I really don't care about fair.

colinb

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 04:35:53 pm »

Wow, you're a real butthead ain't ya bud? Don't think I've run across you before. Just as well, I'll add you to my ignore list.

As for what I'm busy with; finishing off a new book and then two weeks of shooting in England so no, not anything to do with my dirty little relationship with Adobe. As to what I thought when Mark Hamburg and Thomas Knoll brought PixelToy to my studio back in Dec of 2003, I told Mark that what he was thinking of doing–a snapshot painting app–didn't interest me and that what was needed was a database app. Sort of Camera Raw on steroids...

In terms of open source, I've yet to see any applications come out of open source that are particularly viable. Technologies yes, usable applications, no. It just takes too long for people to "play" with an application's development. Hey, wanna give up Photoshop? Use Gimp...hey, it's FREE...yeah, right....

Knowing what I know about Photoshop and Lightroom development, if a bunch of geeks think they can whip up a piece of code to compete with Photoshop or Lightroom (or heck, even Aperture) more power to them, Odds that will ever happen? Less than zero I would say...

Its quite likely I am a butthead. I can live with it. But I'm still right. You have a commercial relationship with Adobe. Good for you. Really. It must be fun playing with the newest technology. I do it in my areas of professional interest and its a blast. But.. what I don't do is scoff at the merits of competitors products and projects without actually trying them out. This we call Fear, Uncertainty & Doubt. Its shoddy.

I don't really see that there's much of a difference between technology and application. GCC is at least as complex as most large applications. Firefox is a pretty impressive application. Barring religious argument, Emacs is the best programmers editor in the world, and has been for three decades or more. I don't much care about the open source debate except that its clearly got no relevance to the quality of a product.
Pages: [1]   Go Up