Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fishing the hard way  (Read 1427 times)

dalethorn

Fishing the hard way
« on: July 09, 2009, 02:04:19 pm »

Panasonic G1, 45-200, ISO 1600.  A bit of explanation - I was shooting fireworks the previous night, and set ISO to 1600 manually, since the G1 would not increase the ISO to get a proper exposure, even with all settings on auto including ISO.  So I forgot to reset it the following day, and this was taken at ISO 1600, which resulted in a very noisy image.  Interesting that despite the superior resolution of the viewfinder and screen, I couldn't tell I was getting noisy images. There is a status indicator for ISO in the viewfinder, but I ignore those for the most part, since I'm usually set to auto, which lets me concentrate on the composition when time is very short, such as this case where the fisherman moved around a lot.  And in spite of shooting about 50 frames, only two were worth keeping because of that movement.  Not for blur etc., since all were on manual focus and high shutter speed.

Joe Behar

Fishing the hard way
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 02:13:03 pm »

Quote from: dalethorn
Panasonic G1, 45-200, ISO 1600.  A bit of explanation - I was shooting fireworks the previous night, and set ISO to 1600 manually, since the G1 would not increase the ISO to get a proper exposure, even with all settings on auto including ISO.  So I forgot to reset it the following day, and this was taken at ISO 1600, which resulted in a very noisy image.  Interesting that despite the superior resolution of the viewfinder and screen, I couldn't tell I was getting noisy images. There is a status indicator for ISO in the viewfinder, but I ignore those for the most part, since I'm usually set to auto, which lets me concentrate on the composition when time is very short, such as this case where the fisherman moved around a lot.  And in spite of shooting about 50 frames, only two were worth keeping because of that movement.  Not for blur etc., since all were on manual focus and high shutter speed.

Slight correction.....

That is not fishing the hard way, its fishing the correct way.

Apologies (sort of) to all the hardware slingers and worm dunkers out there.

Pages: [1]   Go Up