Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: September trip to Portugal and Spain  (Read 4957 times)

Patrick Collard

• http://www.patrickcollardstudios.com
September trip to Portugal and Spain
« on: July 08, 2009, 05:25:35 pm »

I'll be making an early September trip to Portugal and Spain lasting two weeks. I'd love to get some suggestions of places to visit and does and don't while on the trip. Thanks in advance.

Patrick
Patrick Collard

eaglerock

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 06:37:01 pm »

If you are willing to devote the time, I'd consider renting a car for a week and driving through Andalucia.  The region offers an amazing diversity of scenery: beautiful mountains (Sierra Nevadas, et. al.), great architecture (in Sevilla, Cordoba, Granada, et. al.), dozens of photogenic white washed towns, nature reserves (Fuente de Piedra for flamingos - although I think they're only there in the winter) and plenty of famous photo ops (Ronda, Alhambra, etc.).

You usually can rent a car very cheaply in or around Malaga (although I've never been to Costa del Sol) and then head inland.  I found a pretty cheap one-way rental starting in Sevilla and dropping off in Cordoba.  

Here's a link to photos from my Spain trip to give you some ideas (see the Sevilla, Cordoba, Ronda, Andalucia, Cadiz and Granada sections): http://www.eaglerockphotography.com/f94430391

Places I really want to go in Spain that I haven't been yet: Toledo, Segovia, Salamanca and the northern coast.

I haven't been to Portugal, but its high on my to-do list.  I know Lisbon, Porto and the Algarve coast are very photogenic.

Patrick Collard

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 08:26:40 pm »

Thanks for your reply Bill. We will be renting a car for the journey. We fly into Portugal and I'm trying to plan the route from there. I like the work on your site. Thanks for the tips.

Patrick
Patrick Collard

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 07:27:02 am »

I also second Andalucia, it has probably the best concentration of photogenic landscapes combined with photogenic locations - if you're there you must visit Alhambra.

If you want to do city trips, Barcelona is a mainstay for photographers and tourists, as is Bilbao - which is much closer to Portugal than the other locations mentioned.

September is an excellent time to go to Spain: the main vacation period is in August so it's less crowded, and it's not as oppressively hot in September - but it will be hot. Since you're from South Carolina, it will not be anything you haven't experience already, though.

I've never been to Portugal, but Spain is my favorite place for photography. While the nature might get a bit repetitious if you stay in just one region, there's so much to see (and do), and the Spanish people are friendly and welcoming.

I also have photos from Spain on my website below.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 07:28:23 am by feppe »

Patrick Collard

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 11:53:45 am »

Thanks for the tips Harri. As you said I live in South Carolina so I'm not to worried about the heat. Do you know if there are any restrictions regarding shooting from a tripod for the early morning and evening shots? I welcome any ideas on the trip as I make plans for the two week journey.
Patrick Collard

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 01:17:44 pm »

Quote from: Patrick Collard
Thanks for the tips Harri. As you said I live in South Carolina so I'm not to worried about the heat. Do you know if there are any restrictions regarding shooting from a tripod for the early morning and evening shots? I welcome any ideas on the trip as I make plans for the two week journey.

If you're referring to Alhambra, I didn't bring a tripod inside, but I'd imagine there are restrictions. Quick googling seems to confirm this.

Outside on "normal" streets it's not a problem as long as you don't block traffic or set it up in the middle of a busy sidewalk.

acktdi

• alvinchanphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 06:12:33 pm »

Patrick,

I'll be in Spain in September as well.  My itinerary and focus -

Madrid - parks, royal palace, templo de debod
Segovia - roman aquaducts
Toledo - jewish and muslim quarters
Sevilla - columbus' tomb
Cadiz - atlantic coast
Tangiers - markets, camels
Rhonda - white villages, bullfighting ring
Granada - alhambra

I'll be traveling by bus and train mostly so I'm trying to keep my gear relatively light.  5dm2, 40d as a backup, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, slik mini ii and acratech ultimate ballhead.

Hope that helps.

Alvin

Quote from: Patrick Collard
I'll be making an early September trip to Portugal and Spain lasting two weeks. I'd love to get some suggestions of places to visit and does and don't while on the trip. Thanks in advance.

Patrick

erick.boileau

• http://
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 07:52:47 am »

in Spain if you want to avoid the big towns

Cuenca is fantastic

or los Mallos de Riglos

images found on Google
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 07:53:18 am by erick.boileau »

dalbecphoto

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 10:38:36 am »

I would spend a couple of days in Lisbon. It's a beautiful city. Then head south along the coastline and the Algarve. Beautiful little fishing villages. Stop at Carrapateira and Sagres. Dramatic cliffs! Just keep going along the coastline into Spain and Andalucia, explore the hilltop villages and Sevilla. The two weeks will just fly by. I have some pictures on my website from a trip I took several years ago dalbecphoto.zenfolio in the Portugal/Spain section. I would love to go there again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up