Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Southwest Utah in July  (Read 6727 times)

cigardoc

Southwest Utah in July
« on: July 08, 2009, 05:09:06 pm »

traveling to sw utah end of july.  still shooting film.  color and b&w. 35 & 120mm.  would like to shoot b&w landscapes, etc.  any suggestions on locations, filters, etc.?  already have red and orange-yellow filters.  also, any suggestions on b&w film?  have shot ilford delta 100, kodak tri-x.  what would work best in this area?  thanks for the input.

david

francois

Southwest Utah in July
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 02:40:11 am »

Quote from: cigardoc
traveling to sw utah end of july.  still shooting film.  color and b&w. 35 & 120mm.  would like to shoot b&w landscapes, etc.  any suggestions on locations, filters, etc.?  already have red and orange-yellow filters.  also, any suggestions on b&w film?  have shot ilford delta 100, kodak tri-x.  what would work best in this area?  thanks for the input.

david
David,
For locations, order Laurent Martrès book if you don't already have it.

Photographing the Southwest: Volume 1--Southern Utah

Also available if you're interested in the Southwest:

Photographing the Southwest: Volume 2--Arizona
Photographing the Southwest: Volume 3--Colorado/New Mexico
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 02:44:10 am by francois »
Francois

eaglerock

Southwest Utah in July
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 01:30:40 pm »

Snow Canyon, near St. George, might be my favorite place in SW Utah for landscape photography.  Martrès mentions it briefly in his So. Utah book.  To me, its on par with Zion, Bryce, Kodachrome, Cedar Breaks, et. al.

Here's some of my photos from a recent shoot there: http://www.eaglerockphotography.com/p683802199

Willard

Southwest Utah in July
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 08:47:07 am »

For the B&W I prefer using a green filter in the red rock country.  The red filter just makes all of the red rock bright and flat.

Hank

Southwest Utah in July
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 10:48:50 am »

One bit of non-photographic advice.  You're likely in some areas to run into what the locals call "gnats" and we in Alaska call no-seeums.  Miserable tiny biting flies that can turn your time into misery if you aren't prepared with insect repellents or alternate strategies.  Beware of aerosol sprays around expensive camera gear, BTW.

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
Southwest Utah in July
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 12:10:04 am »

I would probably avoid most of the iconic locations as they are overrun with tourists during the summer.  If you do decide to visit them I recommend that you arrive at least an hour or more before sunrise/sunset to ensure a decent spot to set up your tripod.  I can't help you w/ suggestions for b&w film or filters as I'm all digital.  Hope you enjoy your trip!

cigardoc

Southwest Utah in July
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 02:57:50 pm »

Quote from: bretedge
I would probably avoid most of the iconic locations as they are overrun with tourists during the summer.  If you do decide to visit them I recommend that you arrive at least an hour or more before sunrise/sunset to ensure a decent spot to set up your tripod.  I can't help you w/ suggestions for b&w film or filters as I'm all digital.  Hope you enjoy your trip!

i appreciate all of the replies.  any suggestions on non-iconic locations?  any off-the-beaten path favorites?

Hank

Southwest Utah in July
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 10:53:13 am »

It's more of a route than a location, but if you're in the Moab area, I'd certainly travel from Island in the Sky (Canyonlands) down the Shafer trail and Potash Road back to Moab, with a side trip of several miles out along the White Rim Trail at least as far as Musselman Arch.  It doesn't require 4WD, but certainly mandates a high-clearance vehicle.  You can rent Jeeps in Moab if the vehicle you arrive in is not suitable.  One word of advice about the trip:  It's really easy to get lulled into driving through the fantastic scenery (better by far than the Grand Canyon in my book), when in fact each stop you make is going to provide breathtaking, non-iconic views.  Short walks to unremarked canyon overlooks and up side canyons will be very hard on your CF card budget.  Carry lots of water and some snacks and use them.  

In fact going from west to east on that route as I've described is a better afternoon drive in terms of light, but the route is easier to find and follow from the Island in the Sky End.  We usually go in the opposite direction in the morning and especially for all-day drives, simply to put the sun more or less behind us.  But until you've made the trip once, it's harder to find your way traveling from east to west.  Either direction, it will become a favorite location on your very first visit as it did for us, and you'll keep going back.  It's so photographically rich and diverse that you'll never "see it all" in a day, much less a year.  Best of all for us, the crowd usually goes elsewhere.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 10:55:21 am by Hank »

cigardoc

Southwest Utah in July
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 02:25:48 pm »

Quote from: Hank
It's more of a route than a location, but if you're in the Moab area, I'd certainly travel from Island in the Sky (Canyonlands) down the Shafer trail and Potash Road back to Moab, with a side trip of several miles out along the White Rim Trail at least as far as Musselman Arch.  It doesn't require 4WD, but certainly mandates a high-clearance vehicle.  You can rent Jeeps in Moab if the vehicle you arrive in is not suitable.  One word of advice about the trip:  It's really easy to get lulled into driving through the fantastic scenery (better by far than the Grand Canyon in my book), when in fact each stop you make is going to provide breathtaking, non-iconic views.  Short walks to unremarked canyon overlooks and up side canyons will be very hard on your CF card budget.  Carry lots of water and some snacks and use them.  

In fact going from west to east on that route as I've described is a better afternoon drive in terms of light, but the route is easier to find and follow from the Island in the Sky End.  We usually go in the opposite direction in the morning and especially for all-day drives, simply to put the sun more or less behind us.  But until you've made the trip once, it's harder to find your way traveling from east to west.  Either direction, it will become a favorite location on your very first visit as it did for us, and you'll keep going back.  It's so photographically rich and diverse that you'll never "see it all" in a day, much less a year.  Best of all for us, the crowd usually goes elsewhere.

now that sounds good, but i don't know if my tight schedule will allow it. are there many sheer, exposed areas, drop-offs, etc.?  is it easy to turn around after traveling a bit?  thanks for the info.

Hank

Southwest Utah in July
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 02:50:37 pm »

Lots of them, but safe for travel and lots of opportunities to turn around and backtrack when the mood strikes.  Most of the sheer dropoffs are on the short span of the Shafer trail itself going down to the level of the White Rim Trail.  If you approach it from the Potash road end, there's a pretty good stretch you can do in a sedan with care.  It's a moderate half day drive with a few stops, but I never seem to make it in only half a day.  Just way too much Good Stuff!  I'll attach one shot from the White Rim Trail.  It's at the same level as the Potash Road not visible across the draw.  Island In the Sky is at the elevation of the tops seen here.  Out of sight to the right in this shot is the Colorado River.  Coming from Moab on the Potash Road, you drive right along the Colorado for some distance then climb slowly to this level and travel here for quite a few miles, with the last couple of miles being the Shafer Trail leading steeply up with lots of switchbacks to that top level and Island in the Sky.  In fact, you're looking up at Deadhorse Point State Park more or less from this vantage point.  Every single little draw and canyon you see in this plus hundreds more not visible all offer notable photography.  And all along these rims you get new views of the river and surrounding terrain.  Just can't beat the area, but you probably could never explore it completely in a lifetime either.  Enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 03:02:10 pm by Hank »

reburns

• Ralph E Burns Photography
Southwest Utah in July
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 07:47:34 pm »

A possiblity that involves less driving is the Fisher Towers, ~26 miles NW of Moab on Hwy 128, and an optional long but easy 1 mile walk along the towers.  There are possiblities for river, towers and the snowcapped LaSals in one long focal length frame.  

Nearby is the Onion Creek road which can get you into a remote "Mystery / Onion Creek Towers" cirque by splashing thru the small Onion creek 16 times (with any small car you are not particularly retentive about) then hiking up the dry wash for a mile or so.  When driving uphill and parking, walk to the driver's right (~north) over a small hill into the dry wash and take the right fork.  At one point there is a 20' wet ramp for which you can make use of a short piece of rope haul your backpack second after scrambling up first - this makes that kind of stuff tons easier.  A google search shows that some bastards have installed a fixed piece of cord which may still be there to take away all your fun:  http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=69207    That will give you a off-beaten path, even if more travelled than a decade ago.  Another option may be to drive all the way to the mesa top and photograph looking down, tho I've never driven up the whole way.  I'm partial to the areas after rock climbing there a buncha times.  You could consult Eric Bjornstad's "Desert Rock III" for the idea and my mug.

Expect some dust.

RalphE
Pages: [1]   Go Up