Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP B8850/9180 Class Action  (Read 2304 times)

dbarthel

HP B8850/9180 Class Action
« on: July 08, 2009, 12:33:02 pm »

I now have two emails from HP Customer Care telling me that the inks shipped with my B8850 are "starter packs" and not intended for normal use. Not sure if I believe them, as the part numbers on the original inks and replacement inks are the same. But for the sake of argument, if they are correct, then it appears that this is an actionable problem, as nowhere in the HP published product specs or in the install documentation is there any mention that the printer is shipped with non-standard inks which will need to be immediately replaced (as stated in HP's last email).

I'm normally not a one to run to the lawyers, but if HP is correct, then the real price of the printer is actually 8x$36 higher than the published price, a more than 50% increase.

I'd be happy to email anyone interested copies of the emails from HP. If you are a class action person and want to contact me, please feel free to PM me. I'll gladly retract all the skidmark jokes I've told.    

Dan

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 12:50:03 pm »

From what I understand the cartridges are full but the printer consumes a ton of ink (as much as half or more I think) on initial install.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 10:42:57 am »

All printers with pumped carts and ink supply tubes take enough ink to fill them. With the HP 38 carts this is about 28% of the ink of 27ml cart volume. All the Epson printers are the same or more and Canon alike. If the ink supply line is long and the print head well is large they can take a lot more.

I don't have a clue about the information they are giving you. Yet, I don't see where the problem is?  After you sue the first set, which are 100% full genuine carts, you replace them. Am I missing something?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 12:41:18 pm »

Quote from: neil snape
After you sue the first set, which are 100% full genuine carts, you replace them. Am I missing something?
(emphasis added)

Was that a Freudian slip?

Jeremy

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 03:51:31 pm »

Quote from: kikashi
(emphasis added)

Was that a Freudian slip?

Jeremy

no a typing fault, but okay.