Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EFI RIP HP Z3200  (Read 3747 times)

Phil Indeblanc

EFI RIP HP Z3200
« on: July 08, 2009, 11:24:06 am »

I just received a demo for EFI Colorproof Express as I am in the swing of getting the Z3200 printer.  I looked over the EFI Express, and it doesn't support HP Glossy Photo/proofing paper!  It has it at 600, but not 1200, which is what I print at.

This is not some new paper.... This, like the Photo Satin, or Matte, is the most basic of the papers.  How does EFI NOT include the profile for this paper to print at the high quality setting?

Neil? Are you reading this?

The distributer mentions that they can make me a profile for a fee(wonder how much that is?).  That sounds useful, if I was asking for some unknown paper, or something that isn't so common.  This is HP Glossy Photo paper!

The software is more than $1K, ya'd think they would have the most basic paper covered.  They have a bunch of EFI special papers profiled...Maybe they want to sell paper instead of a decent software!?

If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Ernst Dinkla

EFI RIP HP Z3200
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 05:23:39 am »

Quote from: Phil Indeblanc
I just received a demo for EFI Colorproof Express as I am in the swing of getting the Z3200 printer.  I looked over the EFI Express, and it doesn't support HP Glossy Photo/proofing paper!  It has it at 600, but not 1200, which is what I print at.

This is not some new paper.... This, like the Photo Satin, or Matte, is the most basic of the papers.  How does EFI NOT include the profile for this paper to print at the high quality setting?

Neil? Are you reading this?

The distributer mentions that they can make me a profile for a fee(wonder how much that is?).  That sounds useful, if I was asking for some unknown paper, or something that isn't so common.  This is HP Glossy Photo paper!

The software is more than $1K, ya'd think they would have the most basic paper covered.  They have a bunch of EFI special papers profiled...Maybe they want to sell paper instead of a decent software!?

No first hand experience but shouldn't the lower resolution profile not give similar color quality even when used with the higher resolution settings? The HP Z drivers like more recent OEM wide format drivers have a cross resolution ICC profile. There probably is a compensation in how the profile affects the ink lay-down to get that result. I understand that with the RIP there can be a conflict in the structure of the color management if you do the same. You need that high resolution for vector, font designs I guess. No way APS on the Z3200 can deliver a "functioning" profile that suits if the other solutions can not deliver?

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

New: Dinkla Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

Clark Omholt

EFI RIP HP Z3200
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 06:49:01 pm »

Phil:

As you can imagine, there a zillion printer/paper combinations that are being used with the EFI RIP.  I think EFI focuses on creating EPLs/ICCs for their papers and their OEM relationships (e.g, Epson and their proofing media).  That said, we would be happy to create an EPL/ICC for your Z32200/HP Glossy/EFI Xpress at no charge, though we might ask that you get your supplies with us    

Feel free to ping me with any questions about EFI / Z3200.  FYI, we have a nice 3200 review up on our web site, and an EFI review will be joining it shortly.
http://www.spectraflow.com/index.php?optio...4&Itemid=67

Regards,

--Clark

Phil Indeblanc

EFI RIP HP Z3200
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 08:00:30 pm »

Hi Clark,

Thanks for the reply.  Don't you think that the HP standard Glossy photo paper would be the most basic thing to print on?  One of the first profiles that should have been made for the printer is the that.

Anyway, Its a small market, and they have the upper hand and can twist things the way they like.  For them, one voice doesn't matter.

Thanks for offering to make the profile. How much would you normally charge for this service? Also, how many swatches are your profiles based from?  Are they made from my target?

Thanks
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Clark Omholt

EFI RIP HP Z3200
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 12:14:09 pm »

Hi Phil:

For what it's worth, I don't think EFI is trying to take advantage of the voiceless consumer.  There's just many, many printer/paper/resolution combinations out there, and they can't hope to cover them all.  In fact, they cover just a few.  The photo glossy is not the most popular paper.  We don't have too many clients printing on glossy because they don't like the glare.  Also, with the Z3200, the right product for you was probably Fiery XF with the Color Manager.  Since the Z3200 has the spectro built in, you would have the ability to build your own calibrations and profiles with a nice wizard interface.

Please send me your phone number (clark@spectraflow.com) or give me a call, 415-382-8681, and we can discuss building a profile for you.

Regards,

--Clark
Pages: [1]   Go Up