Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Archiving my images but still being able to find them....?  (Read 1499 times)

tived

• http://
Archiving my images but still being able to find them....?
« on: July 08, 2009, 04:06:39 am »

Hi guys,

We have a couple of storage arrays, but they are getting full and we are keeping a large back-catalog of clients files/images.

I have decided against buying another storage array given its high cost these days and as most of these images will only be access once in a blue moon. I was thinking I would just store them on hard drives and keep off line, using a SATA cradle. However, I still need to keep tap of what goes where.

So, how would I best go about this. Currently everything is sorted by date and client file name, then I have sub folders with RAW files, master files and Print files.

We do have lightroom, but will it be good enough and can it keep track of images off-line? Do i need iView Media or Portfolio to do this?

thanks guys

Henrik

PS: I am dusting my DAM-book off now, and have started to read...maybe I should update it to 2nd edition

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 06:28:32 am »

Unless you need network access to the database, Lightroom should be fine.  If you need network access, Portfolio Server might be the best option.  I use LR at home for my photos and Portfolio at work for all our digital assets (if I remember right, Portfolio handles a wider variety of file types).  

If the DAM book you are referring to is Peter Krogh's, then yeah dust it off.  He covers this exact topic.  If not, then I recommend it.  My copy is ©2006, and it's still relevant for things like this.

Dave

tived

• http://
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 02:27:30 am »

Quote from: dchew
Unless you need network access to the database, Lightroom should be fine.  If you need network access, Portfolio Server might be the best option.  I use LR at home for my photos and Portfolio at work for all our digital assets (if I remember right, Portfolio handles a wider variety of file types).  

If the DAM book you are referring to is Peter Krogh's, then yeah dust it off.  He covers this exact topic.  If not, then I recommend it.  My copy is ©2006, and it's still relevant for things like this.

Dave

Thanks Dave,
 yes it is Peter Krogh's book and mine is also 2006 :-)

Henrik

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 07:16:58 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up