Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with final planning for Eastern Sierra trip  (Read 4335 times)

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
Help with final planning for Eastern Sierra trip
« on: July 07, 2009, 05:16:19 pm »

I'm in the final stages of setting out an itinerary for our trip to the Eastern Sierra, leaving this Saturday. We're going to be spending 3 nights in Bishop, and 5 nights in Mammoth Lakes. I've narrowed down a list of hikes to consider, and have been trying to figure out the best time to hike them by looking at Google Earth. I'm also trying to figure out where to shoot for sunrise and sunset. I don't mind a bit of hiking in the semi-dark at sunset, but for sunrise would prefer no more than 15-20 minute hike (shorter if possible), just because sunrise is so early and I don't want to have to get up at 3am.

Below are some tentative plans. Feel free to correct me if any of this looks like a bad idea, of you feel there are glaring omissions. I'd love to get some specific suggestions for shooting locations for sunrise/sunset. Especially sunset, since it seems much of the area is better suited to sunrise and early-AM shooting. I know backlit mountains can be nice at sunset if you have good clouds, but I'd also like to know about any good locations where I can get some nice light on the mountains at sunset. Thanks!

Hikes - Bishop Area
Little Lakes Valley (afternoon)
Long Lake and Bishop Lake (morning)
Blue Lake and Dingleberry/Midnight lakes (afternoon)
Big Pine Lakes Basin (morning)
Treasure Lakes (morning)
Tyee Lakes (afternoon)

Sunrise Spots - Bishop Area
Bristlecone Pines (White Mountains)
Buttermilk Hills

Sunset Spots - Bishop Area
Near Little Lakes Valley trail-head (Mack Lake, for instance)
Bristlecone Pines

Hikes - Mammoth Lakes and Yosemite
Crystal Lake and Mammoth Crest (afternoon)
Twnety Lakes Basin (morning)
Emerald Lake & Sky Meadows(morning)
San Joaquin Ridge (morning)
Gaylor Lakes (afternoon)
Cathedral Lakes (afternoon)
Virginia Lakes Basin (morning)

Sunrise Spots - Mammoth Lakes and Yosemite
San Joaquin Ridge
Greenstone Lake (Twenty Lakes Basin)
TJ Lake
Emerald Lake
Mono Lake (maybe)

Sunset Spots - Mammoth Lakes and Yosemite
San Joaquin Ridge
Tioga Pass
Crystal Lake
Olmstead Point
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 11:55:28 am by JeffKohn »
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

eaglerock

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 03:21:13 pm »

Jeff,

It seems as if you've researched the area pretty thoroughly.  I can't help much except to highly recommend shooting Mono Lake at sunrise (which you've already thought of -- but I'd consider it a must-do, instead of a maybe).  I recently shot pre-sunrise and sunrise at South Tufa, and really liked the results.  Here's my gallery from that shoot: http://www.eaglerockphotography.com/p670185210

I glanced through your galleries and really like your work.  I'm in the market for a wide angle zoom lens and saw that you shoot with the Tokina 12-24.  I would prefer not to pay double the price for the Nikon, and am wondering if you're happy with your purchase?  Is it really sharp at both 12 and 24 (even in the corners)?  Any glare problems?

Paul Sumi

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 11:25:01 pm »

For me at least, the White Mountains/Bristlecone Pines has been an afternoon and sunset shoot.  However, with the long summer days, you'll be going back to your lodging rather late.  Just be careful driving in the dark on the improved dirt roads on which you will be traveling until you get back to the main road.

Buttermilk Hills - is that Buttermilk road just west of Bishop?  For me at least, it's been a one-trick pony.  It's a worthwhile sunset location - if you have clouds over the Sierra or to the east over the Whites.  One of Galen Rowell's better known photos was a sunRISE on Buttermilk, but the conditions were extraordinary.

Paul

joedecker

• http://www.rockslidephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 01:38:20 pm »

Little Lakes Valley:  Long shots to alpenglow on (Bear Creek Spire) are possible for sunrise across the lake (name eluding me at the moment) about a mile into the trail.  LLV back the four or so miles in the right season is pretty much my favorite hike ever.

Buttermilk:  The boulders there are great if you want to score some bouldering shots, e.g. http://www.rockslidephoto.com/cgi-bin/leaf.pl?id=202, http://www.rockslidephoto.com/cgi-bin/leaf...4&gallery=2  Haven't had much luck there at sunset, myself.

Bristlecones: Haven't done sunrise (*sniffle*), neither of the two most visited groves gets last light at least in the seasons I've been there, heading out a bet west (on?  toward) Silver Canyon Road should get you some options.  Check your spare before going, seriously.

Other ideas you probably, sadly, won't have time for: In Bishop you'll be an hour or so (?) from the Alabama Hills (outside of Lone Pine), which can be nice in the morning, sunset as well if there's color in the sky (http://www.rockslidephoto.com/cgi-bin/leaf.pl?id=105&gallery=2).  Also, the Eureka Dunes (second-tallest dunes in the US) are quite possibly in play (going in via Big Pine to Eureka Valley Road), which I've only shot at sunset (very nice!), but I hear sunrise is good too, but my sense of the geography gives me more hope for sunset.

Good luck!
Joe Decker
Rock Slide Photography [url=h

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 03:51:28 pm »

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll take your tips into consideration. We left Saturday morning, and are already in Bishop.

One question Joe, would you say Little Lakes Valley hike is best in the morning or afternoon overall? Since the trail runs north-south I was thinking it could be good for either. But we have the option to do that hike tomorrow morning or afternoon/evening.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

eaglerock

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 06:49:07 pm »

To the fellow photographer (from Florida I think) that emailed me about Mono Lake, can you please re-send your email again?  I accidentally deleted while trying to reply.  Sorry.

Bill

gdanmitchell

• http://www.gdanmitchell.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 04:17:51 pm »

I know I'm a bit late for the OP here, but since others may come later looking for info on the subject I'm going to go ahead and post a few comments on areas I know well from personal experience:

Hikes - Bishop Area
Little Lakes Valley (afternoon)
Long Lake and Bishop Lake (morning)
Blue Lake and Dingleberry/Midnight lakes (afternoon)

Have been here a few times and just returned last weekend. Many of these lakes are a bit tricky to shoot since high peaks tend to interfere with the good early/late light. Blue lake is, indeed, better in the late afternoon and there are a number of photographic opportunities. I'm currently working on an interesting image of the tree-spotted granite benches across the lake from where most people camp, and there are interesting compositions shooting up the valley of the lake toward higher peaks. Unless you are in tremendous shape, expect the hike to Blue Lake to take longer than the mileage might suggest. Oh, there are also a lot of opportunities for more "intimate landscapes" of rocks and trees and so forth here.

Dingleberry is the next lake on your list above Blue Lake. I have not photographed there, though I am familiar with the scene. It is a smaller lake set in less monumental surroundings and there are some views out towards Owens Valley from here that might be interesting.

The Upper Lakes (Topsy Turvy, Midnight, Hungry Packer, Sailor, and Moonlight) are very worthy photographic subjects - though I'd sure prefer to stay there overnight (for several days, actually) to shoot them. Topsy Turvy is just a bit below the trail to your left after continue on past Dingleberry, and it features some very interesting rock islands which, in the right conditions, are a very fine subject. Above this point, Sailor Lake is the easiest to access and it is surrounded by sub-alpine meadows filled with (right now!) wildflowers, glacier boulders and polish, small clumps of trees, lots of water, and a stunning background of high peaks. There is an interesting waterfall and cascades nearby - and you could visit them on your way to Moonlight Lake. I have to say that I was not all that photographically inspired at Moonlight Lake. Hungry Packer and Midnight Lakes seemed more interesting to me in that stunning talus fields and high peaks are much closer and the rest of the situation is more intimate.

In all of these locations, getting the best light is tricky. Again, both the morning and evening light are interrupted by high peaks well before the "golden hour."

Finally, day-hiking and photographing these upper lakes would be a tall order. Hopefully you are in great shape and used to the altitude already... and willing to put in very long and late days.

Big Pine Lakes Basin (morning)
Treasure Lakes (morning)
Tyee Lakes (afternoon)

Sunrise Spots - Bishop Area
Bristlecone Pines (White Mountains)

Great opportunities to shoot back toward sunrise on the Sierra. There are a number of locations for doing this, including near the first campground.

Buttermilk Hills

Yes, wonderful rock formations with the Sierra as a backdrop - you'll figure out compositions once you are there, though you'll likely want to drive around a bit and perhaps scout the previous day. (If afternoon/evening thunderstorms are happening there can be some wonderful stuff happening late in the day/evening out over Owens Valley and toward the White Mountains.

Sunset Spots - Bishop Area
Near Little Lakes Valley trail-head (Mack Lake, for instance)
Bristlecone Pines

Hikes - Mammoth Lakes and Yosemite
Crystal Lake and Mammoth Crest (afternoon)
Twnety Lakes Basin (morning)

Twenty Lakes is a fine place to shoot, and the morning is good. It is also not too far from the trailhead, so getting in there early enough for first light is possible. Since it is east of the crest - unlike many Yosemite areas - the sunrise light can be good.

Emerald Lake & Sky Meadows(morning)
San Joaquin Ridge (morning)
Gaylor Lakes (afternoon)

One of my favorite places to shoot afternoon - but really more like evening. I like to get up there at least a couple hours before sunset and scout out a few shots. Then I sit back a bit and wait for the great light and go at it. The lakes are obviously a subject, but I'm particularly fond of the gnarled trees, tundra plants and rocks, and at sunset distant views back towards the Cathedral Range. As you cross the ridge above the Gaylor Basin on your way in/out. there are some wonderful opportunities to shoot back along the ridge, down into the Basin, or over toward the crest.

Cathedral Lakes (afternoon)

A classic - not much more to say. The later you can shoot here the better since it is open to the western light without significant obstruction - I'd want to shoot right on through sunset. For an interesting adventure either follow the climbers trail up to the saddle next to Cathedral from near the trailhead, or go out to the upper Cathedral Lake and ascend cross country from there.
Virginia Lakes Basin (morning)

Sunrise Spots - Mammoth Lakes and Yosemite
San Joaquin Ridge
Greenstone Lake (Twenty Lakes Basin)
TJ Lake
Emerald Lake
Mono Lake (maybe)

If you have not shot Mono at dawn you probably should. The classic spot is South Tufa. Arrive well before dawn. (Post-shoot coffee at Latte' Da in Lee Vining is a requirement.)

Sunset Spots - Mammoth Lakes and Yosemite
San Joaquin Ridge
Tioga Pass

Good call. Early in the cycle there can be some good shots aiming back over the pass out of the park. As things continue the light on Mammoth Peak inside the park can become quite interesting. The classic approach is to shoot from around the small tarns at the pass.

Crystal Lake
Olmstead Point

Of course, though you'll certainly be dealing with crowds. I find that the most interesting Half Dome light can occur after actual sunset, while the interesting light back toward Tenaya Lake comes quite a bit earlier. I like to descend the very shot trail from the parking lot to the top of the small rock-covered dome you'll see below and to your left - I think this provides more interesting composition and lighting possibilities if you are shooting Tenaya, and sight-lines down the canyon toward Half Dome are at least as good.

Dan
G Dan Mitchell
SF Bay Area, California, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up