Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: DNG  (Read 14206 times)

riccohn

DNG
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 01:04:49 pm »

Quote from: Nick Rains
There is another bogus aspect of early conversion to DNG - if you do this and then go back to tweak adjustments away from whatever default or preset you used, the preview will be rebuilt every time you click 'Done' which then takes as long again as processing the file to DNG took in the first place. This accurate preview is a huge DNG strength, but it does take time if you are fiddling. Tweaking a CR2 takes no time because, as Gabor says, only the exif is changed. I suppose you can disable the preview update, certainly you can in LR.

I agree that a jpeg preview that can be displayed by non-Adobe apps can be a big plus. However, I just started playing with converting to DNG and my experience in CameraRaw is that clicking "Done" does NOT update the embedded jpeg. To do this I've had to invoke the "Update DNG previews" option. Perhaps I've missed the option to choose whether the Preview is automatically updated or not?

In any case, without the jpeg update it is much faster, but at the expense of inaccurate preview of adjustments in many applications.

I'm a big fan of Photo Mechanic for it's speed and ease of use, and I'm am considering adopting DNG's as a way to allow me to keep with it for image selection after my initial edit and corrections. Any thoughts?

Ric

john beardsworth

• My photography site
DNG
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 01:08:08 pm »

That "Update DNG previews" is now the way to do it.

As you're finding, DNG is great when you need to work with multiple applications.

John
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up