Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Networking an Epson 2200  (Read 2740 times)

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Networking an Epson 2200
« on: July 05, 2009, 07:56:32 pm »

I've got a simple network and want to print from the network so I don't need a host computer.  Purchased a Linksys print server, and it seems to work fine on the windows systems (one is XP and one is Vista32).  The mac, however, is another story (MacBookPro OS X 10.5.7).  I found this link which walks through how to set it up:
http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksy...d=8678481921B18

I get through that just fine, but whenever I try to print even a simple document the printer happily produces pages of garbage.  The driver I selected was:  "Epson Stylus Photo 2200 - Gutenprint v5.1.3"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm playing a game of chicken with Epson seeing who will cave first: Me with a new printer or them replacing the 3800...

Dave

francois

Networking an Epson 2200
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 05:03:11 am »

Quote from: dchew
I get through that just fine, but whenever I try to print even a simple document the printer happily produces pages of garbage.  The driver I selected was:  "Epson Stylus Photo 2200 - Gutenprint v5.1.3"
Why did you choose the Gutenprint driver? The Gutenprint drivers offer less options of often less quality than Epson drivers. Is there nothing listed if you choose EPSON USB? You might have to reinstall the 2200 drivers but frankly I don't know if your set-up will work or not. My 2200 died a long time ago, I can't test here, sorry.
Francois

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Networking an Epson 2200
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 08:48:34 am »

Quote from: francois
Why did you choose the Gutenprint driver?

Well, great question.  It's a new Mac (I'm new to mac as well) and that is what was there, so I'll use the excuse, "Because it's there."  I've been printing images from windows for several years, but not yet from the mac.  I'll download the epson drivers and report back.

Thanks for the response.

francois

Networking an Epson 2200
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 12:17:31 pm »

Quote from: dchew
Well, great question.  It's a new Mac (I'm new to mac as well) and that is what was there, so I'll use the excuse, "Because it's there."  I've been printing images from windows for several years, but not yet from the mac.  I'll download the epson drivers and report back.

Thanks for the response.
Dave,
The drivers for the "old" Epson printers might be on the install disk of Mac OS X (look for a package named Optional Installs at the root of the DVD).

There's a kbase article about the included drivers with Leopard:  http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1370

The Epson Stylus 2200 is included but probably part of the optional install. Do not choose the Gutenprint as it'll give you far from optimal results.
Francois

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Networking an Epson 2200
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 07:17:34 am »

Francois,

Thank you for the help. Here's where I am now:  I've added the epson driver as you suggested, but it is not a "modern" DPP driver, so it doesn't show as an option when connected to the print server.  I do now have the direct-connect printer set up and working, i.e. via USB with the correct epson driver.  When connected directly it recognizes the printer and uses the epson drivers (I've since updated those from the epson website).

So my only issue now is how to get the new, updated epson drivers to appear in the selection when installing through the printserver via appletalk.  I'm presuming these drivers from the website are DPP drivers, but maybe not. If I was more mac literate I would probably know these things. I just emailed epson but have not heard back yet.  I tried using CUPS but that gave the same result: No epson driver option for the 2200.

So here's my plan: Once I find out if the new driver is DPP, I'll try to figure out where to place it so it appears as an option.  Not sure if that's a good plan, but it is all I can think of.

Dave

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Networking an Epson 2200
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 06:35:31 pm »

Well I'm giving up.  Turns out it doesn't print all that well from windows either.  Test page is fine, but printing from MS Word results in reprints that continue forever.  I didn't even bother printing from LR or PS.  I don't think this printer or its drivers or both are capable of networked printing.  Here was the response from Epson:

>Hello David

>Thank you for taking the time to contact Epson. It is my pleasure to respond to your inquiry. My apologies for the trouble you are having with your Epson 2200 connections. For optimal performance, Epson tests and supports a direct >connection from the printer to the host PC/MAC. Although other methods are offered by third party vendors, Epson does not support or recommend this. Epson cannot guarantee consistent data transfer through any intermediate third party >devices. Because of the amount of information sent to the printer during a print job, it is necessary to have uninterrupted and consistent data flow. If you are experiencing communication errors while connected through any such device, you >may want to contact the manufacturer.
>...

So I'm back to direct USB and my game of chicken with epson over an updated 3800...

Dave

francois

Networking an Epson 2200
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 04:41:33 am »

Dave,
I'm sorry to hear that but as I said in my first post above, I'm not surprised that network printing doesn't work with the 2200.
On the other hand, printing on a 3800 either via USB or network is working fine.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up