Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mud, mud  (Read 2911 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Mud, mud
« on: July 05, 2009, 03:35:04 pm »

Yes, I know it's not a hippopotamus.

Comments?

[attachment=15127:mud.jpg]

Jeremy

ProPhotoInsights

Mud, mud
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 04:29:27 pm »

Quote from: kikashi
Yes, I know it's not a hippopotamus.

Comments?

[attachment=15127:mud.jpg]

Jeremy

Hi,
Maybe try and crop the top of the image a little to strengthen the composition and some selective contrast adjustment would be good to add some ooomph to the shot as it looks a little flat.
Cheers,
Simon
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 04:30:53 pm by ProPhotoInsights »
www.ProPhotoInsights.Net
Digital Photography Tutorials
"Step Behind The Scenes On Pro Photo Shoots"

www.plantphoto.com

DarkPenguin

Mud, mud
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 11:48:01 pm »

What lens did you use for this one and "sniff"?  I do not like the bokeh in either.  Even so I like this.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Mud, mud
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 03:19:58 am »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
What lens did you use for this one and "sniff"?  I do not like the bokeh in either.  Even so I like this.
Thanks!

I used a borrowed Canon 100-400L IS on a 5DII.

Jeremy

Ed Blagden

Mud, mud
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 05:14:51 am »

Nice image, nice lighting, nice expression on the buck's face, and the bird sets off the image.

But, mon dieu, the bokeh is really really bad.  I mean bad in a class-leading way.  I can't believe an L class lens can be that horrible.  I don't normally obsess about bokeh, I don't think it matters as much as some say, but in this case it really intrudes on the image, and I'm afraid to say messes up the shot.

Ed

adam z

Mud, mud
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 08:37:05 pm »

What simon said, and relating to the bokeh comments......what aperture was it shot at? , and what focal length??

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Mud, mud
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 03:52:33 am »

Quote from: adam z
What simon said, and relating to the bokeh comments......what aperture was it shot at? , and what focal length??
400mm, f6.3. I agree that it can be punched up a bit.

I will gather the bokeh comments from this thread and from "sniff", with a couple of other shots taken at the same time, in a new thread when I get home this evening. I don't think I quite understand what's going on.

Jeremy

stamper

Mud, mud
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 04:33:35 am »

Quote from: kikashi
400mm, f6.3. I agree that it can be punched up a bit.

I will gather the bokeh comments from this thread and from "sniff", with a couple of other shots taken at the same time, in a new thread when I get home this evening. I don't think I quite understand what's going on.

Jeremy

What was the iso? Would a high iso affect the the bokeh? I suspect that it wasn't an easy image to capture and that should be taken into consideration. A shot that was worth posting never the less!

Ed Blagden

Mud, mud
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 04:51:30 am »

Quote from: stamper
What was the iso? Would a high iso affect the the bokeh? I suspect that it wasn't an easy image to capture and that should be taken into consideration. A shot that was worth posting never the less!

Top tip for users of this forum: if you download the photo then you can see the EXIF data by looking under "properties", which will tell you things like focal length, aperture, camera body, date of capture, ISO (in this case 320) etc.  Saves a lot of time.

I am willing to stand to be corrected, but no, I don't see how ISO setting can possibly affect bokeh appearance.

Agree the shot was worth posting.

Ed
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 04:53:39 am by Ed B »

stamper

Mud, mud
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 03:34:20 am »

Quote from: Ed B
Top tip for users of this forum: if you download the photo then you can see the EXIF data by looking under "properties", which will tell you things like focal length, aperture, camera body, date of capture, ISO (in this case 320) etc.  Saves a lot of time.

I am willing to stand to be corrected, but no, I don't see how ISO setting can possibly affect bokeh appearance.

Agree the shot was worth posting.

Ed

Would noise affect the bokeh? High ISO affects the shutter speed and aperture settings, which in turn affects the appearance and as another poster points out a wide open aperture is the best for good bokeh?
Pages: [1]   Go Up