Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kodak N surface vs. Fuji Matte / laserjet / inkjet  (Read 3749 times)

photodan

Kodak N surface vs. Fuji Matte / laserjet / inkjet
« on: July 03, 2009, 09:58:47 pm »

1.  I'm printing color photos using commercial labs, using mostly laserjet type equipment, and mainly Fuji Crystal Archive super type C Matte. I am wondering how that paper compares to Kodak's Matte version 'N' surface Supra Endura or Supra Endura VC?

2.  Also, I'm looking for labs in the USA that use the Kodak N surface for their Matte prints. So far I've identified adoramapix and easyprints. Do you know of other labs that use this paper?

3. One last question: I used to have my color film printed on N surface paper, as I liked that better than the pebbly E surface and better than others, like glossy or luster (just a less bumby version of E in my opinion). While I have tried some inkjet prints in the past (epson high-end at a commerical lab), I had two feelings at the time - xlnt color/contrast, but when looking at the print up close I didn't like the texture and it was kind of too glossy (I forgot what paper it was printed on, but the lab told it was as close to N surface as they could get). I've tried duller surface papers on inkjets but they look like micro versions of Seurat paintings done in watercolors (if there was such a thing) - to me (sorry for the gross exaggeration but I couldn't help myself :-) Now that I use digital capture, and printing some scans of my old film large format, I'm at a bit of loss in coming up with the optimum method of printing.  What say ye - for getting as close as possible to what i used to get printing LF negs analog on N surface papers (other than going back to film!) ?

Thank you.
Dan

KeithR

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 11:46:22 am »

I don't really like the "glossiness's" of a lot of the papers out today. Most have a textute, however subtle, that I'd rather not see so I look for the smoothest surface papers that still allow the use of PK inks.
The closest inkjet paper that I have found that resembles the Kodak "N" surface was the Epson Semi-MATTE(not semi-gloss) paper. I have since found the Hawk Mountain papers http://www.hawkmtnartpapers.com/
such as Sharpwing Luster(an RC type) and Sparrowhawk(High alpha-cellulose) to be very close to the "N" surface. If you contact them, they will send out a sample pack of what you wish to look at. Usually just a couple of sheets, but it's enough to get an idea of what the paper looks and feels like.
I also like the surface of the Innova "F Print Gloss Semimatte" because of it's smoothness and weight(300gsm) and has become a favorite of mine. it's a slight trade off as far as texture goes, but I find it doesn't deter from the image.  
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

dennispjohnson

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 10:27:28 am »

Hi
I own a lab and use Kodak paper, if you need a test done on N surface paper, I can do that at no charge for you.
www.avaloneditions.com

Dennis
Pages: [1]   Go Up