Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Synched settings - loss of history?  (Read 1947 times)

Tklimek

Synched settings - loss of history?
« on: July 03, 2009, 04:10:53 pm »

Hey folks.....

Something I guess I didn't really think too much about before, but just kind of came floating to the front of my mind today for some reason.

My question has to do with synching settings and the history.

For example, let's say you have captured 5 frames of a flower.  All have similar characteristics so you make your adjustments on the first image and "Synch Settings" with the remaining 4 images.  Now all 5 images have the same adjustments; and you are now free to make additional minor changes if you wish.

I've noticed that there is no history on the on the 4 images which have had the settings synched other than "Synchronize Settings".  Is there any way to tell what the adjustments were other than reviewing all of the sliders and noting the changes; or is there any way to see which frame the settings were synched from?  Maybe this isn't even an important question, but I just thought this was a bit odd.  It might be cool to see something like "Synchronize Settings from DSC_00001" in the history; and then if you clicked on it you could expand or collapse it to see what the adjustment steps were.

????

Am I just having a moment?  ;-)

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 06:16:25 pm »

Quote from: Tklimek
For example, let's say you have captured 5 frames of a flower.  All have similar characteristics so you make your adjustments on the first image and "Synch Settings" with the remaining 4 images.  Now all 5 images have the same adjustments; and you are now free to make additional minor changes if you wish.

Stop right there! Why are you wasting time making the adjustment to one and then sync'ing it to the rest? Select the pictures, then hold down your Ctrl key ( Cmd if Mac) and click the Sync button in Develop. It changes to AutoSync and from now on your adjustments apply to all images you've selected, and the detailed steps are shown in History.

John
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 06:17:20 pm by johnbeardy »

Tklimek

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 07:55:25 pm »

John....

Thanks for the suggestion; that may work for me.  I guess I'll adopt that approach and I guess it's a workflow thing; choosing which images you wish to have the same adjustments applied to BEFORE you make the adjustments and then you do not lose any history.  Too bad it doesn't work the other too!  (making the adjustments and then synching).

Cheers.....

Todd in Chicago

Quote from: johnbeardy
Stop right there! Why are you wasting time making the adjustment to one and then sync'ing it to the rest? Select the pictures, then hold down your Ctrl key ( Cmd if Mac) and click the Sync button in Develop. It changes to AutoSync and from now on your adjustments apply to all images you've selected, and the detailed steps are shown in History.

John

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 05:33:35 am »

I guess it works that way, Doug, because it's logging exactly what you've done - ie sync the settings. But in the workflow you described, AutoSync is a much faster way to work - you just have to keep your head screwed on and think ahead.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up