Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: still life shooters: recommend a digital tele for product shots  (Read 6994 times)

ctz

Hello

I deceided that I need to buy a longer tele lens for my view camera (a Sinar P2). I mainly use an 105mm digital Sironar from Rodenstock. Also used are a 55mm digital Rodenstock and a 150  APO SYMMAR, non digital version, but holding very well on digital. I also have an APO G-Claron 240/9, a very fine lens for macro range on 4X5 film, but with very, very poor results on my P45+.
Looking to the 200 mm region I guess there is not much to choose from: 210/5.6 Apo Digitar from Schneider and 180 Digital Sironar from Rodenstock.
Do anyone have something to say about these lenses?

Thanks in advance

c

Dick Roadnight

still life shooters: recommend a digital tele for product shots
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 11:30:41 am »

Quote from: ctz
Hello

I deceided that I need to buy a longer tele lens for my view camera (a Sinar P2). I mainly use an 105mm digital Sironar from Rodenstock. Also used are a 55mm digital Rodenstock and a 150  APO SYMMAR, non digital version, but holding very well on digital. I also have an APO G-Claron 240/9, a very fine lens for macro range on 4X5 film, but with very, very poor results on my P45+.
Looking to the 200 mm region I guess there is not much to choose from: 210/5.6 Apo Digitar from Schneider and 180 Digital Sironar from Rodenstock.

Thanks in advance

c
The 210/5.6 Apo Digitar from Schneider is one of the lenses on my wish list. I have 90, 120, 120M, 150, and I would also like a 47XL, and an 1100 fine art gold.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

henrikfoto

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 05:11:27 am »

Hello

Thanks in advance

c

I have tried many lenses around 200mm. The Rhodenstock Apo Sironar S 210mm is very good on digital also. The very best lens in this range is the Apo-El-Nikkor 210mm. This is an old lens and hard to get, but still the very best! Try E-Bay.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 05:12:07 am by henrikfoto »

ctz

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 03:32:22 pm »

Quote from: henrikfoto
I have tried many lenses around 200mm. The Rhodenstock Apo Sironar S 210mm is very good on digital also. The very best lens in this range is the Apo-El-Nikkor 210mm. This is an old lens and hard to get, but still the very best! Try E-Bay.

thanks for advice.
i guess i'll take a look on e-bay, but probably i biased to buy new. the el nikkor looks to me like an elarger lens, am i wrong?

henrikfoto

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 03:45:04 pm »

thanks for advice.
i guess i'll take a look on e-bay, but probably i biased to buy new. the el nikkor looks to me like an elarger lens, am i wrong?

Thats correct, but it is still much better than todays lenses..
Remember it´s not the El-Nikkor but Apo El-Nikkor.

Henrik

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 01:17:03 am »

Hello

Thanks in advance

c

You might want to ask yourself if you will be going 1:1 with subject.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 01:18:09 am by Phil Indeblanc »
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 02:09:50 am »

I am not able to say with a MF back but I do use my Canon on my Sinar with the 180mm Macro Rodenstock non digital and it looks good to me. Hard to deny the quality on film from this lens, but I'm curious to know if the new digital lenses are that much better.

filmcapture

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 02:43:27 am »

Try a Nikon Nikkor-M 200mm or 300mm lens, they are amazing on my Phase One P25, even wide open. Here's a shot made by 300M with P25:

http://www.usvista.com/PK_3.jpg

E_Edwards

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 06:54:10 am »

I've got the 180 Apo-Sironar Digital and it's good, as good as the other Digital lenses in the range of 100 to 180 really, though the Schneider 120 Macro Apo-digitar is probably the best lens of the lot by a twinkle, but I haven't found a bad lens amongst the Digital glass in either Rodenstock or Schneider.

I use the 180 a lot for my relatively close up work. A 210mm lens would be a touch too long for my taste.

Edward

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 07:03:17 am »

Quote from: filmcapture
Try a Nikon Nikkor-M 200mm or 300mm lens, they are amazing on my Phase One P25, even wide open. Here's a shot made by 300M with P25:

Nice I opened it in Photoshop and it looks great all around.

I used to have the Nikon 450 M which was always good for jewellery , even portraits if one didn't mind the sharpness.

ctz

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 11:25:26 am »

Quote from: Phil Indeblanc
You might want to ask yourself if you will be going 1:1 with subject.

i've already asked myself.  i' ll mainly (90%) go in 1:5 to 1:10 range for a P45 "film" size.

ctz

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 11:26:50 am »

Quote from: neil snape

I used to have the Nikon 450 M which was always good for jewellery , even portraits if one didn't mind the sharpness.

I agree, I like it too.

ctz

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 12:43:42 pm »

Quote from: neil snape

thats gotta be some major extension if you wanna fill the frame :-)

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 12:58:13 pm »

What is that fruit called?  It has slippery shiny seeds in it. I haven't had one in a long time :-)

filmcapture

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 01:27:50 pm »

Quote from: Phil Indeblanc
What is that fruit called?  It has slippery shiny seeds in it. I haven't had one in a long time :-)

That's loquat. It's said it was originally from China. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loquat )

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 05:55:39 pm »

That's loquat. It's said it was originally from China. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loquat )

interesting, never knew the name before.. thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up