Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Beach  (Read 3387 times)

MR.FEESH

• http://
The Beach
« on: July 02, 2009, 10:50:29 pm »

These were from a sunrise on LBI.  More to come of other things i.e surfers, waves, etc.

Like any/hate any?
Suggestions?

Elby
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 10:52:16 pm by MR.FEESH »
Sigma SD14 w/ PG-21
Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX Macro
Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG EX Macro

dalethorn

The Beach
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 11:12:10 pm »

#1 - excellent.
#3 - subtle - don't know what to make of it.
#7 - great sunglow on the water.

I don't recall seeing surfer photos from the East coast.  I have quite a few from the Left coast, but haven't posted any, since the faces are very prominent.  I'm not a fan of the big-wave surfing nonsense that plays on television so often.  The best IMO are with 3-4 foot waves.

Jeremy Payne

The Beach
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 07:37:36 am »

2 is my favorite.

One suggestion - when you shoot an horizon, you really want to get it level ... unless you are making a point of it not being level, like in 2.

MR.FEESH

The Beach
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 08:23:37 am »

Quote from: dalethorn
#1 - excellent.
#3 - subtle - don't know what to make of it.
#7 - great sunglow on the water.

I don't recall seeing surfer photos from the East coast.  I have quite a few from the Left coast, but haven't posted any, since the faces are very prominent.  I'm not a fan of the big-wave surfing nonsense that plays on television so often.  The best IMO are with 3-4 foot waves.

Yeah I have just some random beach goers and other typical shots like that, some of them happen to be surfing on some very small east coast waves.

As for #3, I'm drawn to it, something about the texture and lighting kinda pull me in.  It's clearly really ambiguous though, almost like an abstract.

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
2 is my favorite.

One suggestion - when you shoot an horizon, you really want to get it level ... unless you are making a point of it not being level, like in 2.

A lot of people to whom I've shown the pics have said they like 2 as well.
As for your suggestion, I apologize.  I was so focused on the colors and lighting that I overlooked this very vital aspect in the post...some of these need to really be straightened out.

Elby

Sigma SD14 w/ PG-21

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
The Beach
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 09:18:12 am »

I like the mystery of #3: sort of "Abstract Impressionism".

Except for #2, the horizons are pretty level. Which ones are people complaining about?

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jeremy Payne

The Beach
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 09:44:37 am »

Quote from: EricM
Except for #2, the horizons are pretty level. Which ones are people complaining about?

#1 looked off to me.

I took the liberty of opening in ACR and straightening ... with a couple other tweaks ...

[attachment=15099:P1070139...straight.jpg]

MR.FEESH

The Beach
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 05:56:10 pm »

Quote from: EricM
I like the mystery of #3: sort of "Abstract Impressionism".

Well #2 is purposefully off, but I do see what the others mean-- if it's not perfect, it's not perfect.

#1 looked off to me.

I took the liberty of opening in ACR and straightening ... with a couple other tweaks ...

[attachment=15099:P1070139...straight.jpg]

Yes it looks much better with straightening.  Although I must say the absence of red and orange is something that in my opinion ruins the effect a little bit.  I really liked the pastels that came up with the sun, and red and orange were vital.  Just my opinion, of course.

Elby
Sigma SD14 w/ PG-21

dalethorn

The Beach
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 07:55:54 pm »

Quote from: MR.FEESH
I must say the absence of red and orange is something that in my opinion ruins the effect a little bit.  I really liked the pastels that came up with the sun, and red and orange were vital.  Just my opinion, of course.

It's your photo, so your opinion is the one that matters the most.

MR.FEESH

The Beach
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 01:03:44 am »

Quote from: dalethorn
It's your photo, so your opinion is the one that matters the most.

Good point Dale, I just didn't want to make it seem like I was blowing him off, I appreciate it that he would take the time to give it a go himself.
Sigma SD14 w/ PG-21

dalethorn

The Beach
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 01:12:44 am »

Good point Dale, I just didn't want to make it seem like I was blowing him off, I appreciate it that he would take the time to give it a go himself.

All critiques are good, as long as they're critiques.  Just beware of a lot of postings that say an image is useless, etc.  Nothing is useless, well, almost.

cmi

The Beach
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 05:50:20 am »

Nice images, but they dont really impress me. I like that you tried to get a composition in 1, 2, 5 and 8 even if at least in my eyes you succeed only partly. For example in 1 the bench could be more at the left side, even partly cropped, so I get more an impression that there could sit someone watching, instead of just this big black thing in the foreground. Also the idea in 2 is good, but then the interesting detail, the shell, comes across too weak. Also a bird in front of a sky like in 5 can be nice, but I think the framing is odd here. To come up with a suggestion I would need to the whole image. I think I like 8 the most, some good action going on, even if unlucky framed. From the pure skys, I like 6 most. Also 3 has something. As general advice Id say, work on your framing.

Christian

Jeremy Payne

The Beach
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 07:52:28 am »

All a matter of taste.  As others have pointed out - 'tis your image and you do with it as you please!

I focused on the horizon comment, as that was pretty objective.  

Personally, I found the image a little dark as shot/processed and after I straightened it, I lightened it ... because, like Pringles, one adjustment is just never enough!

MR.FEESH

The Beach
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 11:29:42 am »

Quote from: Christian Miersch
Nice images, but they dont really impress me. I like that you tried to get a composition in 1, 2, 5 and 8 even if at least in my eyes you succeed only partly. For example in 1 the bench could be more at the left side, even partly cropped, so I get more an impression that there could sit someone watching, instead of just this big black thing in the foreground. Also the idea in 2 is good, but then the interesting detail, the shell, comes across too weak. Also a bird in front of a sky like in 5 can be nice, but I think the framing is odd here. To come up with a suggestion I would need to the whole image. I think I like 8 the most, some good action going on, even if unlucky framed. From the pure skys, I like 6 most. Also 3 has something. As general advice Id say, work on your framing.

Christian

Noted!
The bench kind of annoys me because my thoughts are that more of the part where you put your butt should be visible-- the shot should have been taken more from the side and less from behind.  Also the focal point in the sun rise should be more to the right.
I'm convinced bird in flight are very hard to capture, it was the first time I tried mixing birds in motion with a good background and most often, I waited too long and the birds were not properly framed.

All a matter of taste.  As others have pointed out - 'tis your image and you do with it as you please!

I focused on the horizon comment, as that was pretty objective.  

Personally, I found the image a little dark as shot/processed and after I straightened it, I lightened it ... because, like Pringles, one adjustment is just never enough!

Agreed!

Elby
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 11:30:21 am by MR.FEESH »
Sigma SD14 w/ PG-21

cmi

The Beach
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 03:33:49 pm »

For the next time. Just invest more time while shooting. Birds are difficult as you noted and require foresight and patience, but then, practice is the key

The bench kind of annoys me because my thoughts are that more of the part where you put your butt should be visible-- the shot should have been taken more from the side and less from behind.  Also the focal point in the sun rise should be more to the right.
I'm convinced bird in flight are very hard to capture, it was the first time I tried mixing birds in motion with a good background and most often, I waited too long and the birds were not properly framed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up