Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cable Release Feature  (Read 3602 times)

Mike D. B.

Cable Release Feature
« on: July 02, 2009, 09:12:07 am »

Just a quick and (seemingly) simple query: does anyone know of an electronic cable release which allows changing aperture with a dial (switch; button; whatever) on the cable release?

I’m a (for the most part) satisfied Canon user but spent last week again wishing for certain features which my camera simply does not offer and, as far as I know Canon don’t offer at all.

My wish list includes:
 - A dedicated button for mirror lockup
 - A shutter blind (Canon offer on their 1 series)
 - Said feature on a cable release
 - More built-in lens hoods (or at least metal bayonet-mount hoods)

I might be longing for the impossible but, as a plant, macro and landscape photographer I often find myself using both hands to hold diffusers or reflectors (plus the cable release).  Reaching back (thus ruining my lighting) to change aperture is no great pleasure.  Changing aperture settings via a dial of the cable release seems so much simpler.

Or does anyone know of a third party cable release offering this feature?  I’m will to switch camera systems to enjoy such luxury, should I find a body offering those features.

Thanks for your input!

Mike

marcmccalmont

Cable Release Feature
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 01:09:01 am »

I haven't tried this one but it looks interesting
http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19691~r.96035782
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Mike D. B.

Cable Release Feature
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 01:26:24 am »

Quote from: marcmccalmont
I haven't tried this one but it looks interesting
http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19691~r.96035782
Marc

Thanks for the link, Marc.

The description doesn't specifically mention that aperture adjustment I'm looking for but this could be hidden in the "... and some other features" in the list of functions.  I'll check if I can find more information concerning that item.

I fear though, that I could be searching for the impossible.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Cable Release Feature
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 09:34:54 am »

It would seem to me that for this to work, the camera itself would need to have cable-contacts that control the aperture setting. Typically, the existing contacts (at least on my Canon 5D) only control (1) the usual "half-press" exposure lock, and (2) "full-press" shutter release. They are simple on-off contacts, and no amount of fancy electronics in the cable can make them do anything else.

If there is a camera with external aperture contro, I don't know about it.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Mike D. B.

Cable Release Feature
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 09:56:21 am »

Thanks for the functional description, Eric.  That would explain why manufacturing one to fit the existing 5D cable release socket wouldn't seem to function.

I've checked the Nikon, Sony, Pentax and Canon - plus a few third party which folks had suggested - sites but couldn't find such a beast.  Though I hate to contemplate the financial implications, I'll check the Hasselblad site as well as check into the Leica S2 once it is released.  I'd love to something like this which would work with my Canon gear - or with a 5D Mk III or IV or whatever.

BJNY

Cable Release Feature
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 12:32:24 pm »

How about an iPhone ap?
Guillermo

Adele

Cable Release Feature
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 01:21:29 pm »

The July/August Layers magazine references a new onOne Software iPhone/iPod Touch app called DSLR Remote, available for Canon only.  Haven't checked it out yet, but it looks interesting.  You may have to use the app with the camera tethered to a desktop or laptop, however, which would be a bummer.  Need to check on it.  Adele

Mike D. B.

Cable Release Feature
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 01:56:43 pm »

BJNY and Adele, thanks to both of you for pointing towards that iPhone application.  I had no clue of all those functions.  I thought it was a phone!  That shows my age, I guess.  Sadly, the automobile industry for which I work, doesn't allow any cell phones or laptops with cameras to be brought onto their sites - but I need both when making visits.  That rules out 99.9% of the cell phones I know of and also negates use of apple's nice mac book pros (which I'd love to buy).  Seems I may need to buy all that hardware in duplicate in order to satisfy our customers' needs and my wishes.  Sometimes it ain't easy!

But I will take a closer look at the iPhone and its possibilities.

Mike D. B.

Cable Release Feature
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 02:10:54 pm »

BJNY and Adele - I just took a closer look at those possibilities and it just might be, that I'll need to get an iPod touch plus that software.  Look like I may be able to use the iPod touch as a remote (as per my wishes).  I'll see how that works in the field.  If I can't make friends with it, I'm sure my niece will be thrilled to use it for films & music.  Thanks again for the tip!

Mike D. B.

Cable Release Feature
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 02:23:47 pm »

BJNY and Adele - RATS!  I just read the description properly and found that I would really need to hook up to a WiFi laptop.  Bummer.

Some two years ago a bought a very large Tamrac rucksack which would also hold my latop.  Great for traveling, I thought.  When I filled it with all necessary gear and strapped it on, I felt time-warped back more than 30 years when I humped that weight in the army.  It was heavy then and I ain't no younger!

So I'll keep searching and hoping.  I'd think that even Canon's engineers could figure out how to design a dedicated mirror lockup button.  After all, we've put men on the moon - and even brought them back!

Chris Pollock

Cable Release Feature
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 07:40:24 pm »

Quote from: Mike D. B.
I'd think that even Canon's engineers could figure out how to design a dedicated mirror lockup button.  After all, we've put men on the moon - and even brought them back!
It's frustrating, isn't it? I think the fault lies not with the engineers, but with the designers. The lack of an easy way to enable mirror lockup is quite baffling, but I'm sure it's because the designers didn't think it's important, not because the engineers couldn't work out how to implement it.

The virtually useless auto-ISO implementation on the 5D II is even worse. I imagine that it's especially bad for inexperienced photographers, who are likely to use the auto modes. The camera will automatically choose far too slow a shutter speed, guaranteeing a lot of blurry photos.

AndyF

Cable Release Feature
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 09:52:49 pm »

The "cable" you need would be a USB cable.  That's the only way anything other than triggering the shutter could be controlled.  Unfortunately, I haven't found any small device that could be a USB master.  Everything such as iThings and so on are USB peripherals.  The smallest you might get, is a netbook.

If anyone knows of a handheld device into which USB peripherals are plugged, then let us know!  That device would be a USB master and some kind of camera control s/w might be written for it.
Andy

(BTW, Canon engineers have already designed a mirror lockup button.  And lots of other things you want.  It's the marketing department, just as in Nikon and others, that tiers the features into different levels of bodies.  Otherwise, you'd never upgrade would you  ? )

Adele

Cable Release Feature
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 11:50:14 pm »

Appreciate your update on the iPhone/iPod touch app, Mike.  sounds like it will not work for me either!  As for mirror lock up - the Canon cameras have a handy-dandy work around in Live View.  The new 5D has Live View, not sure about the original.  I do a lot of photography at night and have historically had problems with focus.  Someone suggested I try Live View )I'm using a 40D).  Live View not only locks up the mirror, but it allows you to magnify the image on the screen by up to 10X which makes focusing a whole lot easier.  I am absolutely sold on it.  Adele

Mike D. B.

Cable Release Feature
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 12:45:33 am »

Thanks for your responses and information, guys!  It really can be frustrating at times searching for the "right" camera for me.  Live view seems a great feature.  I know many who swear by it.  But how should I use that when shooting my plant macros low to the ground?  Okay, I could low crawl in the mud (again!) but I was always delighted that an angle finder kept me off the ground.

It would be a shame for a company to have all those dandy features for which we might be wishing and then only pull them out of their hat bit-by-bit for marketing purposes.  To keep competative prices ( and cost down) I could understand.  Maybe they shouldn't produce and camera bodies at all!  That would cut cost.  What happened to competition?  Nikon offer a dedicated MLU Button on their D700 and D3 - it seems they're the only ones with that scape-age technology or the only ones allowed to implement that feature.  (Sorry, I get emotional at times.)

What I would truly love would be a simple, K1000-style camera body without the quadrillion modes and features I'll never use.  I realize the differing market wishes but am I really the only one on this planet with such odd ball dreams?  I know many professional nature photographers (in Europe) who would love a simplified (not entry-level) body.  How about one we can use wearing gloves.  The Leica S2 seems a step in that direction (but at a price!).

It will be exciting to see what the future holds.  For my part, I hope the trend to miniturization ends (I have a hard time dialing with some cell phones!) and manufacturers quit overloading menus, buttons and bodies with countless useful and more questionable features.  (I miss my Pentax 6x7.)

marcmccalmont

Cable Release Feature
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 12:45:33 am »

http://www.thegadgetworks.com/index.html
this company said they were working on a remote only, they need a blue tooth receiver for it to be implemented
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Mike D. B.

Cable Release Feature
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 02:44:21 am »

Now THAT'S an interesting gadget!  The few panoramas I've taken and stiched in the past were okay, not great, but acceptable.  I've seen some really impressive panoramas others have created using stiching software.

If I would shoot more panoramas, I'd give that AutoMate a try.  I've read threads of some photographers who claim wide angle lenses are unnecessary for landscapes - just stich shots from standard or longer lenses and even get better "quality" images.  Well, there are some shortcomings to that phylosophy but there's also advantages to that strategy.  Normally I'm less interested to spend time working on my PC and possibly this would increase my time spent in front of a screen.

Thanks for the link, Marc.  Very interesting!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 02:44:57 am by Mike D. B. »
Pages: [1]   Go Up