Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: VIBE closes  (Read 6854 times)

asf

• http://www.adamfriedberg.com
VIBE closes
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2009, 10:58:02 pm »

Quote from: gwhitf
One of the best posts ever on this forum. Commendable.

Was in the movie theatre last night, and this came on before the Previews. Lists another guy as the Director, but lists McGinley as "Photographer". I guess that means DP, (actually holding the camera)? I've never been a big fan of McGinley, but I think he's stepping into his own now. I know they caught hell when Wrangler and Levis used the same "look", but I applaud McGinley for simply saying, (after he takes a bong hit), "Hey man, this is what I do. Screw your Focus-Group comps; screw your PDFs; just let me do what I do". And not only does he get away with it, it's a pretty appealing visual to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUVRJMrLw40

interesting. i know the guy who shot that (the dp, not the director) and it's not r mcginley. i don't doubt rm was heavily involved, but my understanding is someone else worked the camera (shot it).
my friend didn't mention rm, just the director and the ad people. next time i speak to the him i'll ask what rm's involvement was. whoever did what, it looks great.

mmurph

• http://
VIBE closes
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2009, 11:43:30 pm »

Quote from: TMARK
Big picture thinking is really the domain of the AD and CD, but its our job as creative collaborators to produce the big picture idea, and even to assist in concepting (which is a term I hate but it is descriptive and accurate) the ideas.

The other model is the pure fine art model.

Todd Hido, Andreas Gursky, Sally Mann, Richard Misrach, Alec Soth.

It doesn't matter where you are, or what you use. It is a vision achieved and exectuted by a creative individual owning all decisions from start to finish.

There is still that room for individual vision - pure creative work at a professional level - to develop totally outside the mainstream industry. And it can rejuvinate the dialog and blow the industry away.

One of the reasons Alec Soth was so adament about not getting eaten by the process - the industry - when he did things like his "Fashion" magazine.  Simple projects like "Dog Days" that follow a totally idiosyncratic and poetic vision. "Sleeping Along The Mississippi" isn't exactly downtown LA.    

Cheers!
Michael
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 11:44:51 pm by mmurph »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
VIBE closes
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2009, 02:03:54 am »

Quote from: mmurph
It doesn't matter where you are, or what you use. It is a vision achieved and exectuted by a creative individual owning all decisions from start to finish.

Oh, so true...and like or not, this is really the bottom line in _ANY_ creative endeavor...if you are "creating" something and you are forced to "make a decision" then you are exercising your creative rights to succeed or fail. If what you decide to do in the circumstances works then you succeed. If is doesn't then you fail...but the real fact of the matter is that either way–succeed or fail–you've progressed and moved forward.

It's the fear of failure that keeps too many creatives from achieving their goals...

Rob C

VIBE closes
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2009, 03:55:17 am »

Quote from: Schewe
Oh, so true...and like or not, this is really the bottom line in _ANY_ creative endeavor...if you are "creating" something and you are forced to "make a decision" then you are exercising your creative rights to succeed or fail. If what you decide to do in the circumstances works then you succeed. If is doesn't then you fail...but the real fact of the matter is that either way–succeed or fail–you've progressed and moved forward.

It's the fear of failure that keeps too many creatives from achieving their goals...

For once, I have to agree with everything you say.

Regarding the much praised Levi thing linked to by others: that´s a wonderful commercial? That represents epic creative thought and/or execution?

Rob C

bcooter

VIBE closes
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2009, 04:30:43 am »

Quote from: Rob C
Regarding the much praised Levi thing linked to by others: that´s a wonderful commercial? That represents epic creative thought and/or execution?

LIke it or not, impressed with the creative or not, the Levi's commercial takes main stream advertising out of the super planned, conference room look of over post production worked imagery . . . in other words it looks real.

It's been done before, with the mitsu evo commercial, religion, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sdcNVCrYro, it was taken further and more hip with the adidas house party commercial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2IQvQOgnxg which I believe got it's original thought from the   frankie vallie-beggin (pilooski re-edit) video, though just brought up a notch or two.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ykoFDTqla0

So I guess nothing is new, except the obvious move away from massively massaged and post worked visuals.  You see this carrying over to still imagery also.

I think consumers, especially the 20 something target market every advertiser plays to is now wise to fake and doesn't want everything to look like an effect from CSI Miami.

TMark is right on the money that if the thought is creative and original it doesn't matter what camera or production values it's shot on, at least to the point of "selling it in" to the client.

When it comes time to do it for "real"  the production usually gets "more professional" and professional covers a lot of territory, not all of it good.

What is important to all of us is to sell your portfolio, your reel, our combination still and motion campaign, doesn't take 4 cable pullers, 2 gaffers, 12 grips,  3 crystal sync generators and an arriflex with 40 loads.

It just takes something close to an original idea and the balls to do it, show it, sell it then do it again for serious money.  

BC

gwhitf

VIBE closes
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2009, 09:22:05 am »

Quote from: asf
interesting. i know the guy who shot that (the dp, not the director) and it's not r mcginley. i don't doubt rm was heavily involved, but my understanding is someone else worked the camera (shot it).
my friend didn't mention rm, just the director and the ad people. next time i speak to the him i'll ask what rm's involvement was.

I looked at the credits again, and there is another guy listed as DP. McGinley listed last as "photographer". It just never occurred to me that anyone else BUT mcginley would have shot it, because it's loose and free, and he did the Stills campaign, but most importantly, it's got sparklers and fireworks in it, and we all know that McGinley has worldwide rights and ownership of any concept involving fireworks or Roman Candles...

mmurph

• http://
VIBE closes
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2009, 04:59:13 pm »

Quote from: bcooter
What is important to all of us is to sell your portfolio, your reel, our combination still and motion campaign, doesn't take 4 cable pullers, 2 gaffers, 12 grips,  3 crystal sync generators and an arriflex with 40 loads.

It just takes something close to an original idea and the balls to do it, show it, sell it then do it again for serious money.

Yeah. Stay focused on the right brain/creative. Follow a process, see where it leads you. Respond to your own perceptions.  That is what will makre the work unique.

You can always delegate/collaborate on the left brain/technical to get a different - "more professional" execution. That is when you quickly learn how to deall with "hot shots" and the industry. And find out  how far up the chimney you want to climb, or are capable of.  That part doesn't really matter to the art.

Rememeber what you are living, that feeds the creative, not what you are selling.

The "sparklers" quote reminds me of Keith Carterr out in BF west Texas.  He showed some work about 6 years ago when he was doing a talk at a conference. Some images with "defective" (Mexican) sparklers that he was doing for AT&T or someone else. But he liked them so much he dedcided to keep them for himself.  

Then he showed his most recent work. He sent it out to his galleries, I forget how many - maybe 6 or 12. All but 1 sent the work back, said they couldn't sell it!  Not what the clients expected of Keith Carter.

Finally, he showed some personal work. Pictures of his 13 year old, near blind, old dog. Nothing for the public or the galleries. Really **personal** work.

Whatever you think of him, it was an excellent, humble, and self deprecating example of how to stick to the creatiive process, and let the right brain business end take care of itself only after the fact. You can't let it drive your work, or you become a hollow mimic. (We all go through those periods - keep doing what worked in the past, until you get a new inspiration.)

Full disclosure: I haven't made any real images for about 3 years. Getting downstairs and getting a cup  of coffee is enough of a challange right now.  

Cheers!
M

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up