Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paper cutter advice needed  (Read 3339 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Paper cutter advice needed
« on: July 01, 2009, 10:38:17 am »

I need recommendations for a high quality paper cutter. It will be used mostly for photo paper but if it could cut 4 ply matte board too that would be great.

Thanks,

Peter

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 11:16:43 am »

I use the Rotatrim Professional M24 cutter for my photos but would not attempt to cut mat board with it.
Gerald J Skrocki

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 11:23:16 am »

Rotatrims are expensive.  I first bought an inexpensive generic rotary cutter from an office supply place, got frustrated with it not working very well, then bought an inexpensive guilloutine-style cutter from an office supply place, got frustrated with IT not working very well, and finally bought a Rotatrim, which has been great.  Don't do what I did; just start with a Rotatrim and be done with it, despite the expense.

Based on previous questions on the topic here on this forum, Rotatrim seems to be the high-quality paper cutter that most people here use.

(No idea how it would work on mat board.)

Lisa
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 11:23:34 am by nniko »
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Gemmtech

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 11:39:46 am »

Quote from: nniko
Rotatrims are expensive.  I first bought an inexpensive generic rotary cutter from an office supply place, got frustrated with it not working very well, then bought an inexpensive guilloutine-style cutter from an office supply place, got frustrated with IT not working very well, and finally bought a Rotatrim, which has been great.  Don't do what I did; just start with a Rotatrim and be done with it, despite the expense.

Based on previous questions on the topic here on this forum, Rotatrim seems to be the high-quality paper cutter that most people here use.

Lisa

Lisa,  I have to laugh, every word that you wrote I could have written the identical statement.  I did EXACTLY as you did and your advice is spot on, just buy a Rotatrim and save yourself the aggravation, it's just not worth it.  Never used it on mat board because I have a mat cutter

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 11:50:33 am »

just start with a Rotatrim and be done with it, despite the expense.

Lisa

Ditto.  This is exactly what I was about to say when I saw the topic header....

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 12:30:00 pm »

One more vote for having the right tool for each of those separate jobs.

Mat cutter for mat board; Rotatrim for paper. The Rotatrim pays for itself in materials not wasted and in hair not torn out. Don't waste time or money on cheap solutions.
michael sebast

framah

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 01:06:21 pm »

Tried it... it will not cut matboards.  For paper only.  But great for its purpose!!
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

jjlphoto

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 02:26:04 pm »

Ditto, ditto, & ditto on Rotatrim. Accept NO substitute.

For mattes, I have a 60" logan matte cutter with both a straight cut and bevel cut heads. Or get a scrap piece of laminate from a store and use a razor knife and a straight edge.
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 04:07:12 pm »

Seems there are bigger ones available for cutting board....I thought I remembered doing this at school!

http://www.rotatrim.co.uk/cutting_guide.ph...n=cutting_guide

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 05:45:28 am »

Lisa

A Krause manual board cutter (shear type) of 5 feet long will cut 45 grams paper or up to 1 mm aluminium + 300 grams Photorag laminated to it or 1.5 mm Polycarbonate. Secondhand price of a 40 years old one will still be near 2000$. Weight near 300 kg. Precise too when sensibly used.

The Krause quillotine cutter of 107 cm wide cuts paper reams up to 4 inches high. It is even older but only worth its weight in steel with the little safety build in.

I own both and see no reason to exchange them for a manual rotary cutter yet.
There are nice ones though like Keencut's models.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

New: Dinkla Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up