Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Firmware Z3200 great features added July 1 2009  (Read 12029 times)

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
New Firmware Z3200 great features added July 1 2009
« on: July 01, 2009, 06:19:20 am »

Just a heads up for the frw update Z3200.  I am really glad these new features were finally added. It is totally unexpected but they were requested a long time ago in a wish list.

The ‘Cost Assignments’ tab is now available in the HP Designjet Z3200 model

The new firmware has improved the way the printer manages the network connection. Previously the printer occasionally hung if there was a network issue while the printer was in stand-by.

The media length tracking feature has been added to the printer. When unloading a paper roll, a barcode will be printed containing information about how much paper is remaining on the roll. When loading the roll again, this barcode will be read so that the printer can keep track of how much media is still available in the roll. The ‘Cost Assignments’ tab is now available in the HP Designjet Z3200 model

The new firmware has improved the way the printer manages the network connection. Previously the printer occasionally hung if there was a network issue while the printer was in stand-by.

The media length tracking feature has been added to the printer. When unloading a paper roll, a barcode will be printed containing information about how much paper is remaining on the roll. When loading the roll again, this barcode will be read so that the printer can keep track of how much media is still available in the roll.

dct123

• http://www.dctomick.com
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 11:04:10 am »

Just a warning for those that have installed the new firmware:
After pressing the "Unload Paper" button on the front panel, the Z3200 will display "Printing" in the LCD window. This simply means that the machine is printing a bar code at the end of the roll before you unload the paper. The first time I saw "Printing" appear in the window while changing a roll, I thought that someone had hit print on a computer by mistake and immediately hit the "Cancel" button.

Roscolo

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 02:13:58 pm »

I'm using a z3100, happily printing with an older firmware version. But the barcode / paper length feature is a nifty, albeit unnecessary, feature I could find helpful.

Question: Do recent firmware updates to z3100 firmware (not z3200) include this barcode / paper length feature?

Thanks

neil snape

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 02:52:26 pm »

Quote from: dct123
Just a warning for those that have installed the new firmware:
After pressing the "Unload Paper" button on the front panel, the Z3200 will display "Printing" in the LCD window. This simply means that the machine is printing a bar code at the end of the roll before you unload the paper. The first time I saw "Printing" appear in the window while changing a roll, I thought that someone had hit print on a computer by mistake and immediately hit the "Cancel" button.

Too funny, I did exactly the same. I did for fun unload the paper to see how it works. I did see the printing displayed in the LCD again but this time I knew why.
I can't find anywhere to disable it though......

dct123

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 03:08:09 pm »

Quote from: Roscolo
I'm using a z3100, happily printing with an older firmware version. But the barcode / paper length feature is a nifty, albeit unnecessary, feature I could find helpful.

Question: Do recent firmware updates to z3100 firmware (not z3200) include this barcode / paper length feature?

Thanks

No...but, the latest firmware does include the "Move Paper" function and an option to not cut 3" off certain paper loads.

dct123

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 03:21:06 pm »

Quote from: neil snape
Too funny, I did exactly the same. I did for fun unload the paper to see how it works. I did see the printing displayed in the LCD again but this time I knew why.
I can't find anywhere to disable it though......

Neil...You mention that a "Cost Assignment" tab was added when you updated your firmware. When I updated my Z3100ps firmware the Cost Assignment tab was eliminated! (I still have the tab on my Z3200 accounting). Maybe the cost assignments are adjusted through only one machine?

Larry Adamache

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 11:52:32 pm »

[quote name='neil snape' date='Jul 1 2009, 03:19 AM' post='294891']
Just a heads up for the frw update Z3200.  I am really glad these new features were finally added. It is totally unexpected but they were requested a long time ago in a wish list.

"The new firmware has improved the way the printer manages the network connection. Previously the printer occasionally hung if there was a network issue while the printer was in stand-by."

Neil, I have a supposed network problem with my Z3100.  Is this the same issue?

I have been having two seemingly related problems ever since I bought the HP Z3100 printer last fall.  I have discussed this issue with HP several times but they seem to think it is a non-printer related network problem.  I'm not so sure.

Environment:

Vista 64 bit - 8 GB Ram
Printing from CS4 and Qimage (problem 1 happens from both)
Printer network connected through router

Firmware: TR12-TR-7.0.0.3-5
Driver: 61.73.361.41
Print Utility: 1.6.6.10

Problems:

Problem 1.  Frequently (like every dozen prints or so), when trying to print, the print never shows up in the "Print Preview" and hangs there.  When this happens, I need to shut down both the the computer and the printer.  The document remains in the print queue (in the HP Printer on the Control Panel) and I can't delete it from the queue  unless I reboot both the computer and the printer.  I am able to ping the printer with a response during this time, so it seems network communication to the printer is OK.

Problem 2.  When creating a Paper Preset the action hangs and I get a message that "device is not available".  At this point I can ping the printer successfully.  I need to reboot the printer, then the "Create Paper Preset" returns and is available.  In both cases, sometimes the shutoff button on the front panel of the printer doesn't work so I need to switch it off from the back.

Do you think these are the same problems as with the Z3200?   If not, any suggestions?

Larry

neil snape

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 02:28:33 am »

Quote from: Larry Adamache

"The new firmware has improved the way the printer manages the network connection. Previously the printer occasionally hung if there was a network issue while the printer was in stand-by."

Neil, I have a supposed network problem with my Z3100.  Is this the same issue?

I have been having two seemingly related problems ever since I bought the HP Z3100 printer last fall.  I have discussed this issue with HP several times but they seem to think it is a non-printer related network problem.  I'm not so sure.

Environment:

Vista 64 bit - 8 GB Ram
Printing from CS4 and Qimage (problem 1 happens from both)
Printer network connected through router

Firmware: TR12-TR-7.0.0.3-5
Driver: 61.73.361.41
Print Utility: 1.6.6.10

Problems:

Problem 1.  Frequently (like every dozen prints or so), when trying to print, the print never shows up in the "Print Preview" and hangs there.  When this happens, I need to shut down both the the computer and the printer.  The document remains in the print queue (in the HP Printer on the Control Panel) and I can't delete it from the queue  unless I reboot both the computer and the printer.  I am able to ping the printer with a response during this time, so it seems network communication to the printer is OK.

Problem 2.  When creating a Paper Preset the action hangs and I get a message that "device is not available".  At this point I can ping the printer successfully.  I need to reboot the printer, then the "Create Paper Preset" returns and is available.  In both cases, sometimes the shutoff button on the front panel of the printer doesn't work so I need to switch it off from the back.

Do you think these are the same problems as with the Z3200?   If not, any suggestions?

Larry

Sounds very well to be the same. Yet I would try using a direct connection to the printer with either a straight or crossover Ethernet cable. A second card if this works would be an inexpensive solution to the router.
Otherwise, there is a scrubber for Windows that completely removes all traces of HP stuff. You would have to start from scratch, but if it's the last straw...
There is a high probability that it is NOT the printer. IF you are still under warranty it might be worthwhile to have them swap out the board with the Ethernet connection/hard drive. You'd loose all your presets, calibrations, profiles. You could upload the profiles but not calibrations.

Larry Adamache

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 12:23:54 pm »

Quote from: neil snape
Sounds very well to be the same. Yet I would try using a direct connection to the printer with either a straight or crossover Ethernet cable. A second card if this works would be an inexpensive solution to the router.
Otherwise, there is a scrubber for Windows that completely removes all traces of HP stuff. You would have to start from scratch, but if it's the last straw...
There is a high probability that it is NOT the printer. IF you are still under warranty it might be worthwhile to have them swap out the board with the Ethernet connection/hard drive. You'd loose all your presets, calibrations, profiles. You could upload the profiles but not calibrations.

Thanks Neil, I'll try your suggestions.

Larry

neil snape

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 01:30:22 am »

Last night I had to unload the roll as it said it was misaligned. That is strange as I left the roll in the printer and it had printed on and cut off the day before.

After reloading the media which did not print out the info as it had when normally unloaded, the routine call for paper type came up as it should, then if I wanted to cut off the leading edge. I said no, yet upon load it cut off anyway. Either there is a bug or it is trying to cut off the edge regardless if the info bar is printed or not.

I think HP better put a toggle for printing or not this info bar in the next firmware up date.

neil snape

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 04:05:08 am »

It did it again. After printing then being powered down, upon waking up the printer the roll paper is supposedly misaligned.

I think I'd rather go back to the old firmware but is there a way to do that?

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 04:46:03 am »

Quote from: Larry Adamache
Problems:

I have had those issues since the last firmware/driver update.  Although when the print doesn't show up in preview all I need to do is close and reopen photoshop to make it work.

It did it under XP32, Vista32 and now Vista64, all fresh loads.

Bas Stekelenburg

• http://
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 05:14:23 am »

Back from a month holiday (I know, I know),  I noticed the firmware update for the HP Z3200.
However, the reactions were not too positive. Is it a good idea to install, or not? Was there a newer update on the firmware jet?
Since the first week of July it is deafening quite on the forum about this topic…
I'll be happy with your ideas and answers anyway!

Bas

dct123

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 10:28:23 am »

Quote from: HasselBas
Back from a month holiday (I know, I know),  I noticed the firmware update for the HP Z3200.
However, the reactions were not too positive. Is it a good idea to install, or not? Was there a newer update on the firmware jet?
Since the first week of July it is deafening quite on the forum about this topic…
I'll be happy with your ideas and answers anyway!

Bas

The Z3200ps has always had the Cost Assignment tab, and we never had a network problem...so, no improvements for the Z3200ps as far as I'm concerned. As for the paper length feature, I've decided to not use it and will continue writing the roll usage on the scrap paper band that I tape around the roll for storage. The bar code printing simply uses too much paper. If you print one 24 inch length at a time from a 50' roll and the printer cuts a 3 inch strip each time you load the roll, that means that you're losing 75 inches off a 50 foot roll for the conveniece of the machine keeping track of remaing paper! Colorspan prints a tiny 8 point line of type in the margin at the end of the print showing remaining paper on the roll...HP should of taken a lesson from McDermott. Or, maybe HP came up with a scheme to sell more paper.

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 01:05:43 pm »

I just tried updating my firmware, and the HP Printer Utility on my 10.5 Leopard machine crashed every time I selected the firmware update file. I tried re-installing the latest Printer Utility, and also repaired disk permissions to no avail.

Anybody else having the issue, or at least know how to solve?
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

Bas Stekelenburg

• http://
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 04:17:42 am »

So there is consensus on NOT installing this firmware?
B.T.W., I'm talking about the Z3200 Photo; not the PS.

Is Neil also back to the second last firmware?

Bas

brianrybolt

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 04:42:02 am »

Quote from: abiggs
I just tried updating my firmware, and the HP Printer Utility on my 10.5 Leopard machine crashed every time I selected the firmware update file. I tried re-installing the latest Printer Utility, and also repaired disk permissions to no avail.

Anybody else having the issue, or at least know how to solve?

I've had exactly the same problem on my Z3100 - 24 inch. Running MAC 10.5.7.  Driving me crazy - even tried using Parallels (XP) but it just won't take no matter what I do.  Any help out there?

Cheers,
Brian

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2009, 06:18:32 am »

I am going to call HP this morning to and will report back if they help me get it solved.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

tonywong

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 02:39:20 pm »

Quote from: brianrybolt
I've had exactly the same problem on my Z3100 - 24 inch. Running MAC 10.5.7.  Driving me crazy - even tried using Parallels (XP) but it just won't take no matter what I do.  Any help out there?

Cheers,
Brian

I just replicated the crash by going through the HP Utility.

It looks like you can bypass the utility by using your good old web browser to get into the embedded web server (through the printer's IP address). I was able to select the firmware in Safari 4.0.1 without crashing, although I didn't apply it (since I am fully updated already).

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 09:41:43 am »

Quote from: dct123
The Z3200ps has always had the Cost Assignment tab, and we never had a network problem...so, no improvements for the Z3200ps as far as I'm concerned. As for the paper length feature, I've decided to not use it and will continue writing the roll usage on the scrap paper band that I tape around the roll for storage. The bar code printing simply uses too much paper. If you print one 24 inch length at a time from a 50' roll and the printer cuts a 3 inch strip each time you load the roll, that means that you're losing 75 inches off a 50 foot roll for the conveniece of the machine keeping track of remaing paper! Colorspan prints a tiny 8 point line of type in the margin at the end of the print showing remaining paper on the roll...HP should of taken a lesson from McDermott. Or, maybe HP came up with a scheme to sell more paper.

Bit late for a reply but I checked some issues related to the firmware upgrade and hit on this message.

I also switched the media tracking off on the Z3200-PS after the firmware upgrade.  PrinterPanel> Printer preferences>Setup>Printing Preferences>Paper Options> Disable Media Track etc. It takes more time on loading, and wastes paper. The switching off may also change the misalignment flaw as described later on, not sure about that but it didn't happen here after the change. I guess the Z3100 has to print the info that large as it may not have a dedicated reader for the code, more an improvisation with the sensors already aboard.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up