Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help: How do I load ICC paper profiles on a Mac???  (Read 10186 times)

hassiman

Help: How do I load ICC paper profiles on a Mac???
« on: June 30, 2009, 05:07:57 pm »

Hi,

I was reading that ICC paper profiles had to be loaded in Apple's Colorsync to work properly... Is this correct?

I opened colorsync.app and looked under profiles and saw nothing there.  

I am running LR 2.4, Photoshop CS4 on an Intell Mac running Leopard. I am printing using an Epson 3800 with the latest 6.11 driver and firmware.

Given my patform and hardware what is the proper way to load my ICC paper profiles ?

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 09:41:20 pm »

Quote from: hassiman
Hi,

I was reading that ICC paper profiles had to be loaded in Apple's Colorsync to work properly... Is this correct?

I am running LR 2.4, Photoshop CS4 on an Intell Mac running Leopard. I am printing using an Epson 3800 with the latest 6.11 driver and firmware.

Given my patform and hardware what is the proper way to load my ICC paper profiles ?

OS drive>Library>ColorSync>Profiles
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 12:08:27 am »

Hi,

You don't need to "load" profiles using a 3800 printer, and they will not appear in the default colorsync library  (myHardDisk/Library/ColorSync/Profiles).

Epson profiles are installed as part of a "package" and the OS knows where they are.  (path to the package is myHardDrive/Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter/ICCProfiles ) When printing and having Photoshop manage color they should appear as an option in the drop down menu. If they are not there in your Photoshop Print dialog box then I suggest launching the Epson installer package and do an uninstall, reboot the mac and then reinstall the Epson driver.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 12:10:00 am »

There are more than one place to store profiles in OsX. In the root directory/Library/Colorsync/Profiles is the best place to save them to.
There is the System level Colorsync profiles but that is the base system profiles not to be touched. Your user account has the Library/ Colorsync/Profiles folder too. Some apps save the profiles here as it is user specific. Lastly many printer profiles are stored inside the driver Contents package. Those are seen by ICC aware apps but are not finder level listed without opening the package show contents.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 09:07:04 am »

Quote from: neil snape
Lastly many printer profiles are stored inside the driver Contents package. Those are seen by ICC aware apps but are not finder level listed without opening the package show contents.

Yes, I find that irritating. At least the ColorSync utility can locate them for you since they are often burred deep in system files.

Apple really took a step backwards with OS X. OS9, drag and drop the profile over the system folder, its installed. Even Windows is easier (Right click, Install Profile). Well at least that silly 1.8 gamma assumption is gone in Snow Leopard.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 09:08:29 am by digitaldog »
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

hassiman

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 09:46:55 am »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
You don't need to "load" profiles using a 3800 printer, and they will not appear in the default colorsync library  (myHardDisk/Library/ColorSync/Profiles).

Epson profiles are installed as part of a "package" and the OS knows where they are.  (path to the package is myHardDrive/Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter/ICCProfiles ) When printing and having Photoshop manage color they should appear as an option in the drop down menu. If they are not there in your Photoshop Print dialog box then I suggest launching the Epson installer package and do an uninstall, reboot the mac and then reinstall the Epson driver.

Is it permissible to add other icc profiles to this package?

howardm

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 09:46:56 am »

Yes, Apple really dropped the ball on this badly.  If they can essentially doubleclick-install widgets and prefPanes, no reason they can't do the same w/ profiles.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 10:02:48 am »

Yes actually but it is not as simple as drop another into the folder and close it. The files are linked with strings in the resources folder(s) so they wouldn't show up unless they had the links in place. I am not a UNIX or installer expert by any means.

What I do though is open the drivers packages and either copy all the profiles in there or make aliases and put those in the Root/Library/Colorsync/profiles folder for use in all apps at a finder level. That works without problems with permissions, ownership etc.

True I've always wondered why Apple coders didn't put a context menu on profiles as we asked them to do many times over. Maybe someone reading this that is on the ICC list and or meetings could ask Luc next time to put it in the UI.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 02:18:15 pm »

Personally I wouldn't.  I would keep 3rd party profiles in the standard location.  If you load them into this package and then ever need to reinstall the driver, you will have to do it again.

To me it is annoying that Epson chooses to do this.  I wish their installer would just place the profiles in the standard OS X ColorSync Library - and even give you the option of which ones you want to install.

I have opened up the package and deleted profiles I know I will never use, which can make navigating the choices easier when in photoshop.  Of course, I have to do this every time I reinstall the driver.   It would be nice if the system and the applications worked together to make this easier.  LR is a step in the right direction ... at least I can control what profiles appear in my popup so I can have a fairly nice concise list (and don't get 50 that have nothing to do with printing).

To me ColorSync utility is pathetically designed ... not much use as a utility.  I open it and I get hundreds of profiles left over from the past several years.  Seems one of the purposes of a "utility" is managing things like this but you can't delete them nor navigate to them from this utility.  Come on Apple ... do what your famous for and make the software logical and functional.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 02:24:31 pm »

Quote from: howardm
Yes, Apple really dropped the ball on this badly.  If they can essentially doubleclick-install widgets and prefPanes, no reason they can't do the same w/ profiles.

I agree Apple should do something.

I suggest an alias of the profile folder on the desktop or putting the folder in your dock ...  a pretty good workaround if you deal with profiles frequently.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 02:43:08 pm »

To me it is annoying that Epson chooses to do this.  

To me ColorSync utility is pathetically designed ... not much use as a utility.  I open it and I get hundreds of profiles left over from the past several years.  Seems one of the purposes of a "utility" is managing things like this but you can't delete them nor navigate to them from this utility.  Come on Apple ... do what your famous for and make the software logical and functional.

Agreed on both points. And the CS utility has taken a step back over the years. Its a mess. The UI is just awful.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 10:27:12 am »

What doesn't make sense to me is that on every OSX machine that I have installed my Epson 3800 profiles onto, I have always had to do something manually to get OSX to actually see them. ColorSync is a p.o.s. right now, for sure. Epson shouldn't rely on it, and should do the standard installation path for their profiles.

I am beyond pissed off right now with all of the OSX Leopard / CS4 / Lightroom / Colorsync issues and double profiling and default printer profile junk. Wayne describes the issue best on his site:

http://bit.ly/CYVvi

I got so fed up a few days ago, and I justified buying a new Macbook Pro so I could install OSX Tiger on my old Macbook Pro just so it could be used as a print server.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 04:48:02 pm »

Quote from: abiggs
What doesn't make sense to me is that on every OSX machine that I have installed my Epson 3800 profiles onto, I have always had to do something manually to get OSX to actually see them.

To get OS X to see them?  Unclear what you mean.  ColorSync Utility?  Photoshop?

I don't use ColorSync utility (pretty much worthless as I've mentioned), but I've never had a problem seeing the profiles in Photoshop.  Even using ColorSync in the Color Matching tab in the print driver I can get to all of the Epson profiles.

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 04:52:26 pm »

To get OS X to see them?  Unclear what you mean.  ColorSync Utility?  Photoshop?

I don't use ColorSync utility (pretty much worthless as I've mentioned), but I've never had a problem seeing the profiles in Photoshop.  Even using ColorSync in the Color Matching tab in the print driver I can get to all of the Epson profiles.

For some reason the installation never puts the profiles in the correct folder, and no color managed application see them as well.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up