Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Caught in Adobe customer service HELL!  (Read 2553 times)

Gellman

• http://www.jgphoto.com
Caught in Adobe customer service HELL!
« on: June 30, 2009, 03:43:59 pm »

I recently switched from a Windows computer to a new Mac. I had been using Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom on Windows. I called the Adobe store on May 19th and ordered upgrades to the latest versions, which involved a cross platform upgrade to Photoshop CS4. I paid at the time of the order, and sent in my completed letter of destruction (for the Windows version of Photoshop)  the same day. I received a confirmation from Adobe almost immediately confirming that the letter of destruction had been received and was in good order. So far so good.

I was told that cross platform upgrade serial numbers can only be shipped with boxed software, but that I could download a trial version and my software would arrive before the trial expired. A month and a half later, my software has still not been shipped, despite repeated promises on several customer telephone calls and my trial has expired. I have spent over four hours on the phone being shuttled between customer service and technical support, always with the same result. They apologize for the problem, tell me the order has been cleared and will ship immediately, but they will not give me a serial number over the phone and cannot extend my trial. They will not connect me to someone with the authority to help me. They say a supervisor will call, and they never do. BTW, I have been relentlessly polite. Have not been rude or cussed anyone out.

I have been using Adobe products for as long as I can remember. I am a software developer and publisher. In over 18 years, since I got my first computer, I cannot recall ever receiving worse customer service from any company, over the course of so many contacts, trying to resolve something that is easy and should be cut and dried.

Every time I call Adobe, it's like Groundhog Day meets Catch 22!  Does anyone know any insiders at Adobe that can help?

John in North Carolina
(Please check my profile for contact info.)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 03:52:05 pm by ncjohnboy »

Gellman

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 01:25:29 am »

I have made similar posts to the above on other web sites and was surprised to hear how many others are having similar experiences to mine. I have always held Adobe in the highest esteem. They certainly have some of the best products and people. They are an indispensable resource for photographers. But their customer service is the worst, most godawful example of how not to treat customers that I have ever experienced. I did a Google search on "adobe customer service" and found page after page of links to horror stories just like mine. In fact, I found a link to one of my own forum posts (made just hours ago on photo.net) on the first page of results. I guess it should come as no surprise that there is a lot of bad feedback on any large software company, but I always thought Adobe were the good guys. Silly me.

So here I am with Photoshop CS4 that I bought and paid for six weeks ago, but can't use. I filed a complaint on the web site of California's Attorney General (that's Jerry Brown) but I'm not expecting much from him. I'd like to send the Governator to San Jose to kick some butt, but he has his own problems. Thomas Knoll, if you are reading this, feel free to intervene. I don't want Arnold to kick your butt, just the folks in customer service.

John

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 03:40:44 am »

The problem seems to be that Adobe carry out the cross platform conversion by insisting the old product is deactivated, then shipping a new software package to replace it.
If they haven't the physical software pack to send out the customer gets caught with deactivated software and no replacement, as you've discovered.

It's a daft system that ought to be ditched and replaced by a system that can just issue a replacement serial number immediately.

The frustrating aspect to this is the lack of trust this shows in their customers. People wanting cross platform upgrades are the very people that continue to pay out for Adobe products and keep them in business. It's crazy that it's easier to keep working by downloading pirate versions of programs from the net rather than getting caught in the mess you've described.

Shall we also mention the mess and complication of dealing with buying packages like Creative suite and upgrading them, probably best not to eh?

My own experience of a recent cross platform conversion, Creative Suite CS4 Mac to Windows, went comparatively smoothly. Although why Adobe send out uneditable PDFs for signature and return when they invented an editable form beats me.

Paul

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 02:14:16 am »

Quote from: ncjohnboy
Thomas Knoll, if you are reading this, feel free to intervene.

You are kidding right? Do you honesty expect somebody to come out of the woodwork and help you? I mean I'm sorry you are having problems bud...wouldn't wish what you are going through on my worst enemy (well, actually, I think it WOULD be fun–no, strike that, it wouldn't be (tehe))...

But you polluted what, about 1/2 dozen forums with the EXACT SAME PLEA–I mean you just copy/pasted that darn thing, right? You didn't actually bother to generate new and original messages for each and every forum...

Ya know, if you had spent an equivalent amount of time and energy actually working the phone lines, I have to think you might actually have gotten a bit further down the road of accomplishing what you want...

Adobe is closed for the week (they close down one week/quarter for cost saving) so you ain't gonna get anything accomplished short term...

And least we forget, you ARE doing something a bit out of the norm-asking for a platform cross-grade. Which is high-maintenance...so it ain't like you represent the vast majority of users...

Hope ya get what you want. But really, crying like a stuck pig does get old after one has read the same message about 1/2 dozen times...

Just sayin'

:~)

P.S. and I can confirm Thomas Knoll couldn't care less doode...his mind is considerably "elsewhere"!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 02:34:57 am by Schewe »

Rhossydd

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 03:29:40 am »

Rather a harsh comment Jeff.
Six weeks is far too long a delay for what should be a simple process, especially when Adobe UK turn these requests around in a week.
Quote from: Schewe
And least we forget, you ARE doing something a bit out of the norm-asking for a platform cross-grade. Which is high-maintenance.
It's only 'high maintenance' because Adobe have chosen to implement it that way.
They could generate a new serial online and avoid shipping the physical product completely.
or
The serial numbers could be cross platform, which would avoid the issue completely.

Paul

Gellman

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 03:32:26 am »

Godfather - Yes, I was kidding. I really didn't expect Thomas Knoll to intervene. And I spent over 5 hours all told on the phones to Adobe customer service over the last two weeks, including the period when they were open. To no avail. You sound annoyed because you read my messages on different forums. How annoyed would you be after spending 5 hours on the phone trying to resolve a legitimate problem?

And yes again, I posted essentially the same message on several different forums. I don't consider that polluting. They were all on different web sites. If I had posted the same thing six times on any one site, that would be polluting. I tried the shotgun approach. I had no idea which forum would be read by a person who could and would help me. It worked! Someone read my message on one of the forums (not Luminous Landscape) and put me in touch with someone at Adobe who called someone else at Adobe and got me a serial number. So there.  Jeff, if you actually read my posts on six different forums on six different web sites, you seriously need to spend more time outside away from your computer. Go play in the traffic... on your motorcycle of course.

I guess Pixel Mafia Godfathers don't have to put up with the same BS that mere mortals encounter when dealing with Adobe's pitiful customer service. Folks are switching from Windows to Mac every day, so I doubt cross platform upgrades/exchanges are that unusual. And why do you suppose that getting a serial number for software that is downloaded is high maintenance? When I'm not shooting pictures, I'm a software developer and publisher. Generating serial numbers and keeping track of them in a customer database is one of the easiest things I do. It should be an easy thing for any competent customer service organization to handle on a routine basis. And if it happens to be a difficult thing to do, for whatever reason, then Adobe customer service representatives should adjust their promises accordingly. My basic complaint is that they never did what they repeatedly promised. Do you think it should take over six weeks to generate a serial number and update an account record? I don't know about you, but if I drop the ball, and am unable to keep a commitment, I bend over backwards to make things right with my customer. Fortunately, as a result of my forum posts, I finally found someone at Adobe who did bend over backwards to help.

If you think listening to someone crying like a stuck pig is annoying, you should see how it feels from the pig's point of view. I resolved to be the squeaky wheel from hell until I was able to get someone's attention. Consider yourself lucky that you never had the chance to see the emails I sent to 13 different Adobe executives from a list I found in a story about Adobe's wretched customer service on consumerist.com.

Bottom line is this: I got nowhere trying to go through proper channels privately for six weeks. Once I cried like a stuck pig, someone did come out of the woodwork and it got fixed within a day. Sorry you had to hear it.

John
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 03:42:25 am by ncjohnboy »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 03:50:39 am »

Quote from: Rhossydd
The serial numbers could be cross platform, which would avoid the issue completely.

Yep, I don't disagree with that...Lightroom has cross-platform licenses (as does PixelGenius now). And boy, the absolute BIGGEST pain in the arces were platform changers. Drove Tech Support absolutely nutz...

So, I guess from John's post we'll not be able to let this rest? I mean he's gonna get his Mac serial number now finally, right?

As for me, when push tends comes to shove I tend to buy the friggin' thing and let the accountant deal with the ramifications. And yes, I did actually have to end up actually buying a Mac CS4 upgrade (cause some of the testers didn't get their "rewards" copies before the actual GM version shipped).

Life's a bitch and then ya die...now move long there.

Gellman

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 04:11:03 am »

Jeff,

Yes I got my serial number, so we WILL be able to let this rest.  BTW, I am also a Pixel Genius customer. When I contacted your company to get my license updated, your folks handled my request in about 15 minutes. And I never even had to contact tech support. I'm a RTFM kind of guy.

John
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 04:26:38 am by ncjohnboy »

Rhossydd

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 04:47:45 am »

Quote from: Schewe
I tend to buy the friggin' thing and let the accountant deal with the ramifications.
You're very fortunate to be rich enough to take that approach.
Pages: [1]   Go Up