Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 1D MkIII - ISO speed expansion  (Read 6196 times)

tived

• http://
Canon 1D MkIII - ISO speed expansion
« on: June 30, 2009, 11:20:03 am »

Hi Guys,

I am trying and trying to get this setting to stick in my camera, but I just don't seem to get it to work. What I am doing wrong here?

EOS-1D Mark III

The standard ISO range runs from 100 to 3200.
With C.Fn I-3 you can also set ISO 50 and ISO 6400.

thanks

Henrik

canmiya

• beyond stills
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 05:53:59 pm »

Quote from: tived
Hi Guys,

I am trying and trying to get this setting to stick in my camera, but I just don't seem to get it to work. What I am doing wrong here?

EOS-1D Mark III

The standard ISO range runs from 100 to 3200.
With C.Fn I-3 you can also set ISO 50 and ISO 6400.

thanks

Henrik

did you register the settings?  if the 1d3 is set up like the ds3 scroll across  to register hit the set button, you should then be able to set the highest speed-hit the set button, then you will be able to set the lowest speed hit the set button scroll down to apply - hit set button and then choose enable and hit the set button...

Panopeeper

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 06:05:44 pm »

I am trying and trying to get this setting to stick in my camera, but I just don't seem to get it to work

What setting are you trying to stick, and what does "stick" mean?

Anyway, when you change between modes and between custom sets, the settings change (that's the point of the custom sets).

When HTP is On, you cant's use ISO 50 (probably not even ISO 100).

Finally, when working with raw, there is no point in using ISO 50, it is overexposed ISO 100.
Gabor

canmiya

• beyond stills
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 07:08:17 pm »

Quote from: Panopeeper
What setting are you trying to stick, and what does "stick" mean?

Anyway, when you change between modes and between custom sets, the settings change (that's the point of the custom sets).

When HTP is On, you cant's use ISO 50 (probably not even ISO 100).

Finally, when working with raw, there is no point in using ISO 50, it is overexposed ISO 100.

i believe he is simply trying to set his iso range whereby the expansion options are available. you can expand or reduce the iso range using the custom function, but unless you "register"  and "apply"  the setting changes you make will not take effect or as stated by the op "stick" .  and you are correct that with htp enabled the lowest iso available defaults automatically to iso 2oo

Panopeeper

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 07:52:28 pm »

Quote from: canmiya
you are correct that with htp enabled the lowest iso available defaults automatically to iso 2oo
You noted the difference: 200 vs. 2oo. This helps the photog not to forget that HTP is on. It is a sensible indication, the 2oo is namely not 200 but 100. The reason for not allowing HTP with 100 is, that HTP means reducing the effective ISO by 1 EV, but ISO 100 can not be reduced to 50 (as there is no ISO 50).
Gabor

tived

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 08:25:17 pm »

thanks guys,

it was the HTP that I had forgot about. Thanks again

Now, along my search for this, I also came across some people saying that using the expanded ISO isn't that particular good, as in the best quality from this camera is within the 200-3200 ISO?

Has anyone done any real testing on this? a link perhaps :-)

anyway, thanks very much

Henrik

Andrew Fee

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 09:03:55 pm »

I don't know specifically about the 1D3, but with most (all?) cameras, shooting in the extended ranges or with highlight tone priority enabled will reduce image quality.

With highlight tone priority, what the camera does is under-expose the image by a stop, and then increase it in software with a curve that preserves highlight tones. So ISO 200 with HTP is actually ISO 100 pushed a stop, increasing noise and lowering the amount of detail captured in the shadows.

If your camera's base ISO is 100 and you enable the extended range and shoot at 50, the camera is simply shooting at ISO100 and under-exposing by a stop. So you don't gain any quality, and are losing a stop of information.

If your camera's max ISO is 3200 and you shoot at 6400, it's actually shooting 3200 but over-exposing it by a stop, again, no quality improvement and you lose a stop of information.

In some cameras, I think even in the normal range, shooting above ISO 1600 can have the same effect, being a software boost rather than increasing the sensor gain.

If you're shooting JPEG, it might be useful to use highlight tone priority or the extended ISO ranges, but if you shoot RAW you're better doing it in the RAW conversion.

Panopeeper

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 09:06:24 pm »

Now, along my search for this, I also came across some people saying that using the expanded ISO isn't that particular good, as in the best quality from this camera is within the 200-3200 ISO?
I have raw shots created specifically for measurement, but only up to 1600. Although 6400 is real ISO, i.e. realized by analog gain, it probably does not reduce the noise, thus useful only for in-camera JPEG. This is the came with the other models: the top real ISO is effectively useless for raw.

For example the 5D2 goes up to 3200, but the noise is identical to that with 1600, so it is ineffective, but clips one more stop from the highlights (though often there aren't any, when one is using ISO 3200).
Gabor

Panopeeper

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 09:09:43 pm »

Quote from: Andrew Fee
If your camera's base ISO is 100 and you enable the extended range and shoot at 50, the camera is simply shooting at ISO100 and under-exposing by a stop. So you don't gain any quality, and are losing a stop of information.

If your camera's max ISO is 3200 and you shoot at 6400, it's actually shooting 3200 but over-exposing it by a stop, again, no quality improvement and you lose a stop of information
Almost. Shooting with ISO 50 is effectively an overexposure, while shooting with ISO 3200 is effectively an underexposure.

Though the 1DMkIII's 3200 is probably effective.
Gabor

Andrew Fee

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 09:18:12 pm »

Quote from: Panopeeper
Almost. Shooting with ISO 50 is effectively an overexposure, while shooting with ISO 3200 is effectively an underexposure.

Though the 1DMkIII's 3200 is probably effective.
I had a feeling I got that the wrong way round. Thanks for the correction.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 09:20:26 pm by Andrew Fee »

tived

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 02:31:26 am »

Thanks guys,

I think I will stick it back to normal :-)

Henrik
Pages: [1]   Go Up