Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Out-of-date 3880 cartridges...buy?  (Read 3992 times)

John Camp

Out-of-date 3880 cartridges...buy?
« on: June 28, 2009, 04:03:56 pm »

I've been offered some cartridges for my Epson 3800 at a good price...but they "expired" about eight months ago. Anybody have any experience with this kind of thing? Will they probably still be okay, or are they toast? (Edit) Yes, I know it's a 3800; that's a typo in the topic title, and I don't know how to edit it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 04:06:36 pm by John Camp »

jjlphoto

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 04:05:42 pm »

Use 'em!
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

jcote

• http://www.johncotephotography.com
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 06:28:20 pm »

Quote from: John Camp
Will they probably still be okay, or are they toast?

I needed a couple of carts for my 3800 a while ago and all my local store had were some that were about 6 months outdated. I bought them at a discount with the promise that I could return them if they did not work. They worked fine. Give them a gentle shake before you put them in.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 12:06:56 am »

Isn't this ink supposed to be good for 80 years? I guess there could be an issue with settling. I've used cartridges a year past the use by date without problems. David

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 03:05:14 am »

The ink is lightfast when printed under certain conditions for 80+ years but that has nothing to do when in suspension in a cartridge.

I'm still using some old ink in my HP printers around 3 years old. I even have some for sale in the For Sale topic. So far I cannot find any fault, but the density is slightly different. It is not so different though that if after a few prints and the old ink is purged you probably won't notice a difference.

So I'd say you won't have any issues.

Mussi_Spectraflow

• http://www.spectraflow.com
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 06:19:27 pm »

I wont say this on record, but I've heard from the horses' mouth that the inks are good for quite some time after the expiration. There is some validity to the concern that if stored in a place undisturbed that the pigments will settle and could result in a bit of a color shift, giving them a bit of a shake(gentle) before popping them in is a good idea. Expiration dates help to turn over stock and keep the supply fresh. I'm guessing that ins used within a year or so of the expiration date should be just about perfect. Off the record off course.
Julian Mussi
 Spectraflow, Color Workflow

Dansk

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 11:40:53 am »

I've used em and cant see a difference between fresh dated and outdated. I just use the printer for proofing anyways so i didnt care but all good. Pleasant surprise

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 11:47:41 am »

Quote from: Mussi_Spectraflow
I wont say this on record, but I've heard from the horses' mouth that the inks are good for quite some time after the expiration. There is some validity to the concern that if stored in a place undisturbed that the pigments will settle and could result in a bit of a color shift, giving them a bit of a shake(gentle) before popping them in is a good idea. Expiration dates help to turn over stock and keep the supply fresh. I'm guessing that ins used within a year or so of the expiration date should be just about perfect. Off the record off course.

Settling is a temporary effect of particles falling out of the emulsion. Of course if the buffers and anti foaming agents are working all you need to do is give them a good long shake.

Flocking however is the real enemy of pigment inks. If the pigments flock together it is usually quite permanent as the bonds are not broken by simple mechanical means. How much is happening and in what cartridges is a well studied topic, yet one that you will never see reported. Nor have I, but more than once the subject came up while scientists and engineers were on hand.
Overall a brand must control the use of the inks, although they do have a very large margin of use and misuse if you will.
Pages: [1]   Go Up