Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Neopan 400 in 120  (Read 10813 times)

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
Neopan 400 in 120
« on: June 28, 2009, 03:57:23 pm »

I've shot a test roll of Neopan 400 in my Yashicamat.  I've used it plenty in 35mm and find it to be similar to Tri X in appearance.  I develop in Rodinal 1:100 for 1 hr (stand development).  In 120, the Neopan seems very grainy - am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

patrickfransdesmet

Neopan 400 in 120
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 09:34:22 am »

do NOT use STAND development with neopan
I use Rodinal 1/50 for 13 minutes
follow guidelines for development times film manual
they are there, because it works !

situgrrl

Neopan 400 in 120
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 05:35:20 pm »

Read the manual?  That's no fun!  Seriously, will try again with your recommendations....how do you agitate?  

Thanks

Rob C

Neopan 400 in 120
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 10:30:26 am »

Quote from: situgrrl
Read the manual?  That's no fun!  Seriously, will try again with your recommendations....how do you agitate?  

Thanks

I agitate by saying things, under my breath, that the film doesn´t want to hear. On the other hand, perhaps it´s only myself that I manage to agitate, which would serve me right.

Why not use a less "artsy" developer and do things in the normal manner? The only people I have heard recommend it (Rodinal) seem to belong to the more intellectually inclined photographic world. Having wasted much time in my youth with all manner of proprietary soups, I eventually took the plunge and devoted the rest of my black and white life to D76 1+1 with 35mm HP3(4) and 35mm FP3(4) and 120 TXP. Was nice to find something that worked every time and remained dependable. Much like Kodachrome, then, except that I didn´t have to think about developing that, just about getting it developed. Or processed, if you prefer.

Anyway, navel gazing aside, how did you manage with it? I ask, as this post is somewhat late in seeing light of day and you will probably have done what you wanted to do.

Rob C

patrickfransdesmet

Neopan 400 in 120
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 10:33:37 am »

agitation
1st 30", every second one inversion (drum)
after that
every 30" one inversion (s l o w )

total development time 13 minutes (11 minutes is also OK, But I like good developed neg's)

http://web.tiscalinet.it/visualphoto/films...-neopan400.html

when fixing gently invert every second

20 minutes rince  !

situgrrl

Neopan 400 in 120
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 10:57:21 am »

Rob - not developed anything yet.  Been away for 10 days at brother's wedding hence move to 120!  Will be developing some test rolls once shot at the weekend and then I'll get onto the 11 rolls of 35mm and 9 of 120!  

I've been using Rodinal stand for various reasons - first, TX looks great in it and I've only moved to Neopan because of the prices at choose-film.com though Neopan seems quite similar.  2 - I often push my film far further than it likes to go!  Carrying more than one type is such a pain!  Rodinal 1:100 for 2 hrs caters for a push to approx 6400.  Basically, it's developed to exhaustion.  3 - stand development reduces contrast - perfect for scanning - and perfect for someone prone to give it an extra shake!  4 - I don't own a stop clock or watch. 1 hr has enough wiggle room for me to use the kitchen clock!  5 - this way, I have two processes.  1hr or 2 hrs - same chemical - to cover all of my b&w needs - except evidently, 120!

Rob C

Neopan 400 in 120
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 01:54:47 pm »

[quote name='situgrrl' date='Jul 14 2009, 03:57 PM' post='297809']
Rob - not developed anything yet.  Been away for 10 days at brother's wedding hence move to 120!  Will be developing some test rolls once shot at the weekend and then I'll get onto the 11 rolls of 35mm and 9 of 120!  

I've been using Rodinal stand for various reasons - first, TX looks great in it and I've only moved to Neopan because of the prices at choose-film.com though Neopan seems quite similar.  2 - I often push my film far further than it likes to go!  Carrying more than one type is such a pain!  Rodinal 1:100 for 2 hrs caters for a push to approx 6400.  Basically, it's developed to exhaustion.  3 - stand development reduces contrast - perfect for scanning - and perfect for someone prone to give it an extra shake!  4 - I don't own a stop clock or watch. 1 hr has enough wiggle room for me to use the kitchen clock!  5 - this way, I have two processes.  1hr or 2 hrs - same chemical - to cover all of my b&w needs - except evidently, 120!
[/quote

Sure is a new slant on home economics!

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up