Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! Any Mamiya AFD Digital back users in London?  (Read 2640 times)

Jason Denning

• http://www.jasondenning.co.uk
Help! Any Mamiya AFD Digital back users in London?
« on: June 28, 2009, 02:52:35 pm »

Hi All,

I need some help with a test, I recently bought an imacon digital back for my mamiya 645 pro tl. I recently discovered some lenses have issues focussing at infinity with the back when wide open. I never found this issue before with film and after various test of all my lenses I'm not sure if it is the back being slightly too far away from the plane of focus or just some of the lenses needing calibration. Some lenses are fine, some are not, but the back does not seem to be front focussing which makes me think it is the lens.
Once I stop down I eventually get infinity focus bit this is not ideal.
The bad lenses seem to be the 35mm 45mm 55mm (2 versions) 50mm shift 80mm (2 versions). My 120mm macro and 150mm f2.5 are fine at infinity wide open.

Would anyone be able to help in London to do a test with my 55mm lens to see if I need to send the back in or the lenses?

I would be very grateful!

Thanks

Jason

shutay

• http://www.asiaphotohub.com/Jason/
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 08:59:41 pm »

Jason, it looks like you simply need to adjust the spacing of your mount on your digital back. The Imacon Ixpress usually comes from the factory with a couple of spacers that gives you a 150 or 250 micron (I forget which one it was) spacing between the back itself and the mount. The idea is that you unscrew the mount (ensure you unscrew diagonally opposite screws to prevent flexing of the mount), and change the number of shims in place depending on whether you have back- or front-focus. You can tell which one you have by following the instructions in the shim kit - i.e., place a ruler at 45 degrees to the horizontal, focus an 80mm lens @ f/5.6 at the middle of the ruler with the camera horizontal. In the shot, you will then see if your focus is back- or front-focused from the image, and by how much.

Next step, the shim kit contains shims of different thickness, indicated by how many notches it has - 1 notch for each increment of 50 microns thickness, meaning 1 notch for 50 microns, 2 notches of 100 microns and 3 notches for 150 microns. You will need a bit of trial and error to get the right amount of shims in your back, which might sound like a bit of a pain, but it is worth it because once it is done, you won't need to fiddle with it again. While removing your mount to adjust the shims be careful not to damage your IR filter.

Reason for this shim kit is that each camera, especially in the film era might not have had manufacturing tolerances that were appropriate for digital. So this is the reason why some users might have to shim their back. Not only that, but if you bought your back 2nd hand, the previous user might have shimmed the back already from the factory default, which is what happened in my case - the previous user had removed all the shims altogether and produced a focus error on my camera. I have attached a photo of the Imacon shim kit, what you get, a shot of the instruction sheet and so on.

Jason
p.s. Normally, if I'm not mistaken, a complete Imacon digital back would have come with some extra shims in case you needed to do this. if you don't have any shims, you'll have to visit a Hasselblad dealer to get the shim kit for your Imacon.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 09:01:10 pm by shutay »

shutay

• http://www.asiaphotohub.com/Jason/
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 09:27:24 pm »

Sorry for the double post...

Jason, I suggest before you go crazy unscrewing anything that you do the focus test with the ruler to find out if your back really does have a back/front-focus problem and how severe. The 120 macro is a very sharp lens, so if I am right, you will find what was "ok" sharpness before will be incredibly sharp after sorting out your focus issues. If the point of focus in right on the money but just soft all through, then it is something else...  

I've attached a shot of my back with the mount on and off so that you can see the shims underneath the mount. N.B. - my back is a Hasselblad branded Ixpress back, but your Imacon back should use a similar setup.

Jason Denning

• http://www.jasondenning.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 05:20:35 am »

Hi,

I already tried the ruler test and focus has been bang on. Couldn't see any front focus, I'm going to do further tests to make sure. A shim kit wouldn't help me as the back seems to be too far away from the focus plane, and I currently have no shims in.

If I can find an afd user with a different back atleast I will be able to rule out my lenses being the issue.

Thanks

Jason

Quote from: shutay
Sorry for the double post...

Jason, I suggest before you go crazy unscrewing anything that you do the focus test with the ruler to find out if your back really does have a back/front-focus problem and how severe. The 120 macro is a very sharp lens, so if I am right, you will find what was "ok" sharpness before will be incredibly sharp after sorting out your focus issues. If the point of focus in right on the money but just soft all through, then it is something else...  

I've attached a shot of my back with the mount on and off so that you can see the shims underneath the mount. N.B. - my back is a Hasselblad branded Ixpress back, but your Imacon back should use a similar setup.
Pages: [1]   Go Up