Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DesignJet Z3100 network issues  (Read 3395 times)

ltphoto

DesignJet Z3100 network issues
« on: June 27, 2009, 06:23:25 pm »

Everything seems to work well with my Z3100. Prints great, output looks great, no errors. The issue is when I am trying to upgrade the firmware. The response in the web browser is ridicuously slow (Windows Vista, ethernet connection). When I put in the network address it takes 25 minutes before the Z3100 responds. Until then the web browser just indicates it is waiting for a response. I then clicked on the settings tab and it took over 30 minutes. I do not have a proxy server, which is the only thing I could find to look at in the HP documentation. I have tried this with IE7, IE8 and Google Chrome. Same response every time. Any ideas on what is going on here?

equiason

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 09:01:22 pm »

Quote from: ltphoto
Everything seems to work well with my Z3100. Prints great, output looks great, no errors. The issue is when I am trying to upgrade the firmware. The response in the web browser is ridicuously slow (Windows Vista, ethernet connection). When I put in the network address it takes 25 minutes before the Z3100 responds. Until then the web browser just indicates it is waiting for a response. I then clicked on the settings tab and it took over 30 minutes. I do not have a proxy server, which is the only thing I could find to look at in the HP documentation. I have tried this with IE7, IE8 and Google Chrome. Same response every time. Any ideas on what is going on here?

Have you tried rebooting your printer first?  Turn it off using the switch at the back of the printer.

ltphoto

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 08:45:11 am »

Quote from: equiason
Have you tried rebooting your printer first?  Turn it off using the switch at the back of the printer.

Yep, did the reboot a couple of times. Also on the PC and the router.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 12:14:37 pm »

Sounds more like a Firewall problem to me. The utility has to poll the printer. If it is taking that long the pings have to be going somewhere. If you ping the printer directly how fast is the response?

If it were just while printing I might believe it were the spooler, but if it is a browser via the utility then something is wrong somewhere. I am printing from XP as I write and the utility is set to call the printer every 180 secs which it does.

Tell us more, but I am not a Windows expert. Ernst is though so he might have a lot more on this.

ltphoto

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 03:12:44 pm »

I just did a ping from the command line and it returned an average response of 0ms. Seems like it cannot be 0, but that was the response, so it appears there is no issue there. Since it also prints fine I am really stuck on this one.

dlavay

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 03:30:13 pm »

Try using Firefox as your browser.

neil snape

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 01:55:56 am »

Quote from: dlavay
Try using Firefox as your browser.
Actually HP insist on Explorer as the default browser. Which version, etc I doubt they keep up with but that is and always was the default browser for HP browser comm.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 03:41:47 am »

Quote from: neil snape
Actually HP insist on Explorer as the default browser. Which version, etc I doubt they keep up with but that is and always was the default browser for HP browser comm.

Neil,

Using Firefox here but Printer Utility calls Explorer for the Printer firmware update.

From memory I recall that I had a very slow firmware update once. That was not a proxy server issue either, but it worked in the end.

Asked my son about the possible cause and he couldn't think what the issue could be, firewall shouldn't be a reason between a system and the attached printer. He remarked that bios upgrades usually are slow but not that slow.

In short: I have no solution.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

New: Dinkla Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

ltphoto

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 08:13:39 am »

I will just try the firmware update and see if it works even with the delay. Thanks for the suggestions.

Roscolo

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 09:57:49 am »

May not make any difference, but have you tried just connecting via USB? I had some initial connection problems when I first got my printer that I'm sure were more related to me than my printer, but the simple solution for me was just to connect via USB. YMMV

ltphoto

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 08:33:56 pm »

Quote from: Roscolo
May not make any difference, but have you tried just connecting via USB? I had some initial connection problems when I first got my printer that I'm sure were more related to me than my printer, but the simple solution for me was just to connect via USB. YMMV
Can you update the firmware via a USB connection?

EduardV

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 07:37:51 am »

Quote from: ltphoto
Can you update the firmware via a USB connection?

Yes, you can. I always did it through USB, since the Ethernet connection with the printer always gave me problems, so I
have my printer always connected to my PC through USB

drjdmm

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 10:27:27 pm »

I just downloaded the latest firmware. Windows XP user. Printer on network - ethernet - about 60 feet from my computer. The first attempt did not work so downloaded the file again to the harddrive - make sure you unzip the file - that was my mistake the first time.  Once unzipped the update was   slow - I went and saw Transfomers with my son - great  flick, when I came back the printer had rebooted and everything was working fine. This was the first time the new drivers downloaded and installed without any effort - kudos to the HP software engineers - I guess they got tired of my bitching and moaning.

Dr. Joel Murphy

neil snape

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 02:10:28 am »

The firmware for the Z printers are 300+Mb so always slow. You do know that if you have a 1000 Tx router you will increase the data rate by abut 3.5x over a 100Tx. The Ethernet card in the Z is 1000 Tx and is a quite good one. If you only have a 100 Tx router, or card in the host then set it manually to full duplex rather than the default Auto.
Pages: [1]   Go Up